[comp.sys.amiga] Fuzzy Wuzzy Hard to Bear.

zeke@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Eric SHAMASH) (10/12/89)

In article <667@neptune.UUCP> georgeh@neptune.UUCP (George Hagilaris) writes:
>In article <1565@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca> zeke@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Eric SHAMASH) writes:
>>It's funny, but every now and again, independent of software used, when I
>>use my A2080 high persistance monitor and the display is interlaced,
>>the lines will slowly get blurry and stay that way.
>..takes 20 mins for the fuzziness to begin and it lasts for about 20 mins
>before clearing up.
>Just to clarify things, this is what I mean when I say that my monitor goes
>fuzzy:  It appears to go into a "double interlace" mode because the display
>seems to vibrate two pixels up and down rather than just one (as with normal
>interlace).  As a result, you can suddenly also see the vertical scan lines
>like you do in non-interlace mode (which normally disappear in interlace).
>Also, because of the "double vibration", the text (and everything else) on the
>screen is fuzzy and hard to read.

I have received quite a bit of mail from all sorts of people who also
suffer from the horrible interlace fuzzies, so the problem is much more
widespread than I originally thought.  It seems that the symptoms are
always the same, irrespective of whether the monitor used is an
A1084 or A2080, but nobody explicitly reported the problem with an A1000
or A2000 system...only with the A500 (many people, however, did not specify).
More A2080 owners complained than A1084 owners, but that's probably because
if you use an A2080, you are probably much more likely to use interlace
mode quite extensively.  The trouble may be that "the interlace mode gets out
of sync, and instead of scanning down a half-scan line, it goes down a whole
scan line" (S. Farrar i.idsf@macbeth.stanford.edu).  Could the problem stem
from the video hybrid?  Or even some kind of timing problem with Fat Agnus?
Nobody seems to be very clear on just what exactly causes the dreaded
Fuzzy Wuzzies, or how to get rid of them once they are upon you.  Who
knows when and where they'll strike next?  If anyone has any answers, now is
the time to post them.

I was sure that my monitor was defective, until I realized that the annoyance
was not as obscure as I thought.  So for now, whenever my monitor decides
to go fuzzy, and the software I'm in provides no way to switch to a
non-interlaced display, I just close my eyes and keep typing.  The ostrich
solution just doesn't cut it though...  There MUST be a better way.

Ciao,
Eric.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (10/12/89)

The problem is in the monitor and not the computer.  There is a fix-kit
available from C= which can be installed by the tech at your local dealer.
If your monitor is still under warranty, then it is free
+ Alan W. McKay       +                                               +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +
+ WOLFVILLE, N.S.     +   to make the world a better place."          +
+ CANADA              +                 -Tommy Douglas                +

johnf@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Flanagan) (10/13/89)

In article <1989Oct12.115704.602@aucs.uucp> 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Alan McKay) writes:
>The problem is in the monitor and not the computer.  There is a fix-kit
>available from C= which can be installed by the tech at your local dealer.
>If your monitor is still under warranty, then it is free
>
>+ Alan W. McKay       +                                               +

Details, we need details!  My local dealer has never heard of this fix.
What is the part number for this kit, and is it for 1084's, or only
for 2080's?

John
John Flanagan				Space Sciences Laboratory
johnf@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu		University of California
(...!ucbvax!sag4.ssl!johnf)		Berkeley, CA 94720
Manners Maketh Man.			(415) 642-7635

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (10/13/89)

If your dealer has not heard of this fix-kit then I suggest you encourage them
to ask C= about it, or switch dealers.  As far as I know the kit is for the 2080monitor but it could also be for the 1084.  I do not know the part number but
will try to find out for you and I will post it.