[comp.sys.amiga] What's ST mean?

pa1329@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU (pa1329) (10/04/89)

In article <26866@dhw68k.cts.com> jtb@dhw68k.cts.com (John Gibbons) writes:
>In article <3857.25261253@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4203_5021@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>>What does 'ST' stand for, as in ATARI ST?
>
>ST=Still Trying? Simple Technology? :-)
>--
>John Gibbons
>Internet: jtb@dhw68k.cts.com       UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!jtb
>   //
> \X/ "Amiga makes it possible!"    "Atari. we almost did it right!"

What is amiga?   Amiga is the ultimate game machine.  In other
words, Amiga is the ultimate junk.

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (10/05/89)

In article <1228@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU> pa1329@sdcc13.ucsd.edu.UUCP (pa1329) writes:
>What is amiga?   Amiga is the ultimate game machine.  In other
>words, Amiga is the ultimate junk.

It always amazes me to see people equate game machine with junk machine.
It seems that it takes a much more sophisticated computer to do
real-time hi-res graphics and sound that can interact at a chalanging
(sp) speed than something like a number-crunching COBOL-oriented pinko
commie weenie machine :-).  Wouldn't a Cray hooked up to a super-hi-res
grahics card thru a fiber link make a GREAT game machine?  -- Darren

consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Optimist Prime) (10/05/89)

>>>What does 'ST' stand for, as in ATARI ST?
>>
>>ST=Still Trying? Simple Technology? :-)

[...]

>What is amiga?   Amiga is the ultimate game machine.  In other
>words, Amiga is the ultimate junk.

I'm sorry you don't like the Amiga; it really is a great machine.  But it
isn't for everybody.  However, your comment is going to stir up a VERY large
argument now about whose computer is better.

That's stupid and pointless.

If you don't like the computer, tell it to people who agree with you.  Don't
try starting any trouble - nobody here wants it.

As for the other regular readers of comp.sys.amiga, PLEASE don't start a long
chain responding to this guy in kind.  Let's keep going like we were,
exchanging information and tips and....  That's what this is all about.

+-------///---------------------------------------------------------\\\-------+
|      ///                       Brett Kessler                       \\\      |
|     ///                        =============                        \\\     |
| \\\///         E-Mail to: consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu         \\\/// |
|  \XX/                 and to: consp11@bingvaxa.BITNET                 \XX/  |

mitchell@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Evan Mitchell) (10/05/89)

In article <776@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>It always amazes me to see people equate game machine with junk machine.
>It seems that it takes a much more sophisticated computer to do
>real-time hi-res graphics and sound that can interact at a chalanging
>(sp) speed than something like a number-crunching COBOL-oriented pinko
>commie weenie machine :-).  Wouldn't a Cray hooked up to a super-hi-res
>grahics card thru a fiber link make a GREAT game machine?  -- Darren

You're absolutly right!!  If anything, games seem to push any computer to its
limits.  People used to tell me when I had an Atari 1200XL that I had a good
games machine.  I said thank you, that's quite a compliment.  The funny thing
is, 5 years later, IBM started talking about display lists interrupts, and
and special hardware for sound and graphics...

My 8-bit Atari had it all along.  We all know what my Amiga has under it's
hood, it won't be too long before everybody has multitaking OS, special
hardware for sound and graphics, etc...

-Evan
|    Evan Jay Mitchell                 EECS/ERL Industrial Liaison Program    |
|    mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu       University of California at Berkeley   |
|    Phone: (415) 643-6687                                                    |
|              "Think, it ain't illegal...yet!" - George Clinton              |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (10/06/89)

In article <2476@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu.cc.binghamton.edu (Optimist Prime) writes:

>I'm sorry you don't like the Amiga; it really is a great machine.  But it
>isn't for everybody.  However, your comment is going to stir up a VERY large
>argument now about whose computer is better.
>
>That's stupid and pointless.
>
> [lot's of stuff deleted]

I find it interesting that you only admonish the Amiga-basher yet have no
similar words for the ST-basher.  Are you condoning ST-bashing then?

The Amiga-bashing article was a bit more direct and didn't have the glimmer of
humor that the ST-bashing article had but still, they were both non-productive
article in nature.  We should all refrain from articles of this type
[period].

(Gee, maybe we should have a "No Fightin' Words" rule here on the Net.  Just
like the type of thing they have at UCB.  :-)

--
           Henry Kwan - FWB, Inc.         |  "Experience varies directly
     claris!wet!logic@ames.arc.nasa.gov   |    with equipment ruined."

consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Optimist Prime) (10/06/89)

In article <640@wet.UUCP> logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) writes:
>In article <2476@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu.cc.binghamton.edu (Optimist Prime) writes:
>>
>>I'm sorry you don't like the Amiga; it really is a great machine.  But it
>>isn't for everybody.  However, your comment is going to stir up a VERY large
>>argument now about whose computer is better.
>>
>>That's stupid and pointless.
>>
>> [lot's of stuff deleted]
>>

>I find it interesting that you only admonish the Amiga-basher yet have no
>similar words for the ST-basher.  Are you condoning ST-bashing then?
>
> [lots more deleted]

Henry, there was a big difference between what was posted about the ST and
what was posted about the Amiga.  The readers of this group basically made
a play on the initials "ST," and has been done before for the Mac, IBM,
Ford, etc., etc., etc.  The posting about the Amiga was not a play on
initials or what makes up the acronym "A.M.I.G.A."  It was an attack on
the Amiga itself, and an insult to the intelligence of the readers of this
group.

Now, if anybody here wants to come up with some things that Amiga could
stand for, I'd laugh.  In fact, I do, quite a bit!  For example:

	Another Moronic Idea Goes Awry

Anybody else?

+-------///---------------------------------------------------------\\\-------+
|      ///                       Brett Kessler                       \\\      |
|     ///                        =============                        \\\     |

hummel@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/06/89)

Written  3:22 pm  Oct  4, 1989 by cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU in comp.sys.amiga:
>In article <1228@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU> pa1329@sdcc13.ucsd.edu.UUCP (pa1329) writes:
>>What is amiga?   Amiga is the ultimate game machine.  In other
>>words, Amiga is the ultimate junk.
>
>Amiga means friend [ ... ] Ask the nice people working there where a
>Spanish-English dictionary is.  [ ... ] Look up "amiga" and "amigo."

Amiga (or should I say "Lorraine"?) - the computer - is the most advanced
and revolutionary personal computer design of this decade.  Amiga - the
name, however, is the cause of some consternation.  With Commodore doing
business in Latin America, I worry of a certain slang meaning of the word
"amiga" that may cause some trouble.  I hope this doesn't come across as
sounding crass, but some native Spanish speaker please correct me if "amiga"
hasn't also been used colloquially to refer to a woman's monthly "friend".

                                 < Lionel the cringing gringo
----------
Lionel Hummel                                 409 Kenwood, Champaign, IL 61821
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign  [H] (217)356-6379  [W] (217)333-7408
hummel@cs.uiuc.edu       {pur-ee,uunet}!uiucdcs!hummel            BIX: lhummel

In <986@wsu-cs.uucp>, jal@pan.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:
>Last I heard was the the 520FM's were going real cheap
>(whatever a 520FM is).

That's an ST with an RF modulator for attaching to the TV. They are definitely
going cheap. I also see used ones going in the range of $250 Cdn.

-larry

--
My name is OS/2, Mandius, Kludge of Kludges.
Look upon my works, ye CS majors, and gag.

cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Christopher Douty) (10/08/89)

	I don't believe anyone ever did get around to answering this
question, and since I love trivia, I'd like to know.  Does anyone have a
clue?

			Danke schon,

				Christopher Douty
			 cdouty@jarthur.claremont.edu

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  use STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  "Gun control is being
with SILLY_QUOTE; use SILLY_QUOTE;                   able to hit your target"

jal@pan.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) (10/08/89)

YEs, ST stands for Sixteen/Thirty-Two refering to the 68000 chip it uses.
Atari originally intended to have a TT as well (Thirty-Two/Thrity-Two) with a 68020 but I haven't
heard anything about it.  Last I heard was the the 520FM's were going real cheap
(whatever a 520FM is).

-- Jason Leigh
jal@zeus.cs.wayne.edu

--
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
:)	 It is possible to make no mistakes and still lose.	:)

space@ncc1701.UUCP (Lars Soltau) (10/08/89)

In article <2343@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Christopher Douty) writes:

>       I don't believe anyone ever did get around to answering this
>question, and since I love trivia, I'd like to know.  Does anyone have a
>clue?

ST means Sixteen-Thirtytwo, which refers to the MC68000 used in the ST.
(16bit external, 32bit internal)

>                       Danke schon,
>
>                               Christopher Douty

Gern gescheh'n.

--
Lars Soltau     bang: ...uunet!unido!nadia!ncc1701!space    BIX: --no bucks--
                smart: ncc1701!space@nadia.UUCP

ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (10/09/89)

In article <986@wsu-cs.uucp> jal@pan.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:
>YEs, ST stands for Sixteen/Thirty-Two refering to the 68000 chip it uses.

AAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGH!!!!  That means I own a...a... AN AMIGA ST!!!!!

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cis.unix.pitt.edu

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (10/09/89)

Of course it's already too late to stop the small pyrotechnics display this
posting started, but in case no one has yet answered the original question:

Q. What's ST mean?
A. ST stands for Sixteen Thirty-two... this is because the ST is a 16-32 bit
   machine; someone with a leetle more knowledge will need to give the
   specifics of what is 16 bit and what is 32 bit in the ST.
   Atari is supposed to release (has released?) the Atari TT which is a
   fully 32 bit machine.  (Thirty-two Thirty-two)

I hope this provides a sufficient answer to the question.
As for 'amiga', I believe it is Spanish for 'friend' and more specifically
it is a 'female friend'.  'Amigo' is a 'male friend'.  While we're at it,
'Diga' means 'speak'.

This concludes today's computer names/Spanish language lesson.  :-)

 # Baird McIntosh  "...Why do people choose to live their lives...this way?"  #
 # INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet #

mxj2361@ultb.UUCP (M.X. Jen) (10/09/89)

 Hello, I haven't gotten any answers on my request for info on hooking
up an ST-506 drive without going the 2090A route.  If anyone has any
info, please let me know.  Many Thanks,

If your in town, please feel free to call the Amiga Conference I
moderate.  3 nodes - HST Dual 19.2k - National Echo - PCRelay
Datacomm: (716) 328-3844 for new users or 1200/2400 bps callers
          (716) 436-7824 for registered 9600+ bps callers

Free access - upload/download - echoconference - doors in 24 hours of
first call.  Join conference 2 from main:

don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) (10/10/89)

In article <1111@nigel.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
>As for 'amiga', I believe it is Spanish for 'friend' and more specifically
>it is a 'female friend'.  'Amigo' is a 'male friend'.  While we're at it,
>'Diga' means 'speak'.
>
>This concludes today's computer names/Spanish language lesson.  :-)
>
> # Baird McIntosh  "...Why do people choose to live their lives...this way?"  #
> # INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet #

    Well, yes, you're right about the spanish... but I think in this case the
word 'amiga' is probably italian, since Amiga was an italian company (I think).
I'm pretty sure the word exists in both languages, since they're fairly similar
to each other.

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- | ---------------    Don Lloyd  El Campeador   don@vax1.acs.udel.edu          |
| |Gibberish is |    DISCLAIMER:               don@pyr1.acs.udel.edu          |

pv_troia@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Paolo V Troia-Cancio) (10/10/89)

In article <4611@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) writes:
>In article <1111@nigel.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
>>As for 'amiga', I believe it is Spanish for 'friend' and more specifically
>>it is a 'female friend'.  'Amigo' is a 'male friend'.  While we're at it,
>>'Diga' means 'speak'.
[stuff deleted]
>    Well, yes, you're right about the spanish... but I think in this case the
>word 'amiga' is probably italian, since Amiga was an italian company (I think).
>I'm pretty sure the word exists in both languages, since they're fairly similar
>to each other.
      In Italian, the word for 'female friend' is 'amica', which is
certainly very similar to the Spanish word 'amiga', but not the same.

mikes@lakesys.lakesys.com (Mike Shawaluk) (10/10/89)

In article <4611@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) writes:
>In article <1111@nigel.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
>>As for 'amiga', I believe it is Spanish for 'friend' and more specifically
>>it is a 'female friend'.  'Amigo' is a 'male friend'.
>    Well, yes, you're right about the spanish... but I think in this case the
>word 'amiga' is probably italian, since Amiga was an italian company (I think).
>I'm pretty sure the word exists in both languages, since they're fairly similar
>to each other.

The story I heard about the name of our favorite computer is that is was
originally intended to be "Amica", which is Latin for "friend".  But, someone
already was using that name, so they changed the "c" to a "g", and the rest
is history.  Now, I am not an expert on Latin, and I don't know if they treat
the final "a" as a feminine case modifier, as is done is Spanish.  But, from
a marketing point of view, I believe that words that end in "a" are supposed
to appeal to different market sectors than words that end in "o" or other
letters.  Any other comments or supporting info?
--
   - Mike Shawaluk
"Rarely have we seen a mailer  ->  DOMAIN: mikes@lakesys.lakesys.com

In article <4611@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) writes:
|In article <1111@nigel.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
||As for 'amiga', I believe it is Spanish for 'friend' and more specifically
||it is a 'female friend'.  'Amigo' is a 'male friend'.
|
|    Well, yes, you're right about the spanish... but I think in this case the
|word 'amiga' is probably italian, since Amiga was an italian company (I think).
|I'm pretty sure the word exists in both languages,since they're fairly similar
     ^^^^^^^^^^^
|to each other.

Nope, dude. Italian has "Amico" and "Amica", with the "c", not the "g".
Next time, check it out before being "pretty sure" :-)  I've never heard of an
"Amiga" Italian company.

-- Marco Papa (Italian) 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland

griffin@nunki.usc.edu (Dennis Griffin) (10/10/89)

	Marco Papa Writes:

Nope, dude. Italian has "Amico" and "Amica", with the "c", not the "g".
Next time, check it out before being "pretty sure" :-)  I've never heard of an
"Amiga" Italian company.

	I Writes:

Maybe he thinks that Los Gatos is a city in Italy, instead of a burg on
"The Bay".

dennis

--
dennis griffin  	                              griffin@aludra.usc.edu
		"I like my pizza cold and my beer warm"

ranjit@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Ranjit Bhatnagar) (10/10/89)

	Dennis Griffin writes:

Maybe he thinks that Los Gatos is a city in Italy, instead of a burg on
"The Bay".

	And I write:

Los Gatos is, of course, spanish for CATS.  What more can I say?

	- ranjit

"Trespassers w"   ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	mailrus!eecae!netnews!eniac!...
	   "Such a brute that even his shadow breaks things." (Lorca)

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (10/11/89)

In article <1111@nigel.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
. stuff deleted
-As for 'amiga', I believe it is Spanish for 'friend' and more specifically
-it is a 'female friend'.  'Amigo' is a 'male friend'.  While we're at it,
-'Diga' means 'speak'.

Is tre any native Spanish-speaking on the net? I wonder if there is
such a word as 'amiga' in Spanish. Amigo is male friend, and we always
think of our Amiga at home as a female friend, but I don't really think
it's a real word. The ending of words with the letter 'a' is an indication
of 'femaleness' in many languages (like Russian and Polish), but can
anyone who is *sure* say if Amiga is a constructed word or not?

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (10/11/89)

In article <2343@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Christopher Douty) writes:
> 	I don't believe anyone ever did get around to answering this
> question, and since I love trivia, I'd like to know.  Does anyone have a
> clue?

ST  stands  for sixteen. The ST is a sixteen bit computer. The new Atari
32 bit computer will be called the TT.

--
Fight |     //             Julius A. Cisek   jac423,jules      |Don't
Like a|   \X/ ->crunch<-   SUNYA, NY USA     @leah.albany.edu  | Be a

consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Optimist Prime) (10/12/89)

In article <339@enea.se> tope@helios.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
>Is tre any native Spanish-speaking on the net? I wonder if there is
>such a word as 'amiga' in Spanish. Amigo is male friend, and we always
>think of our Amiga at home as a female friend, but I don't really think
>it's a real word. The ending of words with the letter 'a' is an indication
>of 'femaleness' in many languages (like Russian and Polish), but can
>anyone who is *sure* say if Amiga is a constructed word or not?

I'm not a native Spanish-speaker, but after seven years of Spanish classes
in elementary through high school, the word "amiga" does, in fact, mean
"female friend" in Spanish ("amigo" being the male version).

Noticing how things such as boats and airplanes are called "her" and
"she," I was wondering if there's any corrolary between these things....
(The fact that many inanimate objects are give "female" status, that
is....)

+-------///---------------------------------------------------------\\\-------+
|      ///                       Brett Kessler                       \\\      |
|     ///                        =============                        \\\     |

Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Gareth Bull) (10/12/89)

In article <4611@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) writes:

>     Well, yes, you're right about the spanish... but I think in this case the
> word 'amiga' is probably italian, since Amiga was an italian company (I think).
> I'm pretty sure the word exists in both languages, since they're fairly similar
> to each other.

        Amiga was an Italian co. ? Ask Jay Miner about it ! He and a few
friends left Atari and founded Amiga, which was later aquired by C=. All of
which took place in "sunny California".

--
        Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au  OR  com259h@monu1.cc.monash.oz
                           Alias: Gareth Bull

pv_troia@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Paolo V Troia-Cancio) (10/12/89)

In article <339@enea.se> tope@helios.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
>Is tre any native Spanish-speaking on the net? I wonder if there is
>such a word as 'amiga' in Spanish. Amigo is male friend, and we always
>think of our Amiga at home as a female friend, but I don't really think
>it's a real word. The ending of words with the letter 'a' is an indication
>of 'femaleness' in many languages (like Russian and Polish), but can
>anyone who is *sure* say if Amiga is a constructed word or not?
     Amiga is indeed a Spanish word and it does mean "female friend".
The -a ending is an indicator of femenine gender too in Spanish, while
the -o ending is indicative of the masculine. I'm possitive on this,
as I am a native speaker of the language. Also, the only meaning I
know for "amiga" is female friend. You can look for the word in the
Spanish Real Academy dictionary, which the *official* dictionary of
the language. I've *never* heard "amiga" used to mean anything else.
Even if such a slang usage existed in other parts of the
Spanish-speaking word (and to the best of my knowlwdge it doesn't),
the meaning that is most likely to be conveyed by the word "amiga"
is friend.

					Hasta la proxima!

Paolo V. Troia                          BITNET: pv_troia@jhuvms.bitnet
The Johns Hopkins University, MD        Phone:  (301)889-8613

don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) (10/13/89)

  Yes, the word 'amiga' does exist in spanish.  It's far from my native
language, but I've been studying it since 7th grade (sophomore in college
now, so that's ~8 yrs of it), and I've been to spain a coupla times.
Nice place.... especially the topless beach across the street from where
I stayed.... would've liked to have made some 'amigas' there...

--

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (10/14/89)

In article <2507@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu.cc.binghamton.edu (Optimist Prime) writes:
|[...]
|I'm not a native Spanish-speaker, but after seven years of Spanish classes
|in elementary through high school, the word "amiga" does, in fact, mean
|"female friend" in Spanish ("amigo" being the male version).

	What did it mean before seven years of Spanish classes? Also,
	did any other words besides "amiga" take this language course?

Just Curious,
--
   __ 	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \../	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu