[comp.sys.amiga] DiskCopy To RAD:

A1S@PSUVM.BITNET (Andrew Snyder) (10/08/89)

Just make sure your RAD: is the same size as a floppy (79 sectors?) and go
ahead and diskcopy df0: to rad: .

At the end of the WB1.3 mountlist the is an example of how to call a drive
by a different name.  Thats where you can findout how to change the RAD:
disk to make it big enough.

Andrew Snyder
A1S @ PSUVM                  Have a day.  :|

emcalc@sugar.hackercorp.com (William M. Schmidt) (10/08/89)

Go ahead and use Diskcopy. If your RAD is sized EXACTLY the same as a
880k floppy you'll have no problems. I believe that there is an example
of this in the 1.3 docs.

--
Bill Schmidt                 |
Texas Accelerator Center     | "Eagles may soar, but a worm never

rogers@iris.ucdavis.edu (Brewski Rogers) (10/08/89)

In article <45@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US> kenb@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Ken Baynard) writes:

>I was curious if there was a program available, like a modified
>version of the AmigaDos command 'DiskCopy" which would allow one to
>transfer a whole disk from say df0: to a formatted RAD: drive. I am
>using a 1000 with 2.5 meg of RAM and set up a 880k RAD drive when I
>boot and like to copy a Workbench disk to RAD: for the speed of access.
>
>                                     Ken Baynard
>                            Marquette Mi.   clmqt!kenb OR lopez!kenb

It's much simpler than you think. Set up your rad: as having 80
tracks (0-79), then rename it as df2: or df3: diskcopy will work
just fine on it. (Blazingly fast, too)

------------------------------------------------------          Quantum _\/_
2727 Eel                   Bruce (6502 RULES!) Rogers        |\  Duck  ( 0 0)
Davis, Ca 95616            Quantum Duck Software,           |\ \______/ / \\\
916-756-2684               rogers@iris.ucdavis.edu         |\ <  <     |   \/
"It's better to be the real thing than the right thing."     \________/  Quark!

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (10/08/89)

     You don't need a modified copy of DiskCopy.  DiskCopy will work just
fine to copy a floppy disk to a RAD: disk if they are the same size (880K).

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

In article <45@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US> kenb@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Ken Baynard) writes:

>I was curious if there was a program available, like a modified
>version of the AmigaDos command 'DiskCopy" which would allow one to

You need to make the RAD disk the same size as a floppy, and use the
oldfilesystem.
Using Diskcopy from the workbench complains about different disk types,
but using the CLI diskcopy from df0: to rad: name xyz does work.

Question to somebody in the know: Whats the diff?
 Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (10/13/89)

In article <4906@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
>Using Diskcopy from the workbench complains about different disk types,
>but using the CLI diskcopy from df0: to rad: name xyz does work.
>
>Question to somebody in the know: Whats the diff?

Workbench does a little additional checking before it calls the Diskcopy
command;  I suspect the test your copy is failing on is the comparison
of the default tool of the icon.

> Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

Life gets pretty complex the minute you stop mooing.

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (10/14/89)

In article <8180@cbmvax.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
>In article <4906@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
>>Using Diskcopy from the workbench complains about different disk types,
>>but using the CLI diskcopy from df0: to rad: name xyz does work.
>>Question to somebody in the know: Whats the diff?
[Andy again...]
>Workbench does a little additional checking before it calls the Diskcopy
>command;  I suspect the test your copy is failing on is the comparison
>of the default tool of the icon.

Well, it might be, but I was getting this with Jazzbench occasionally as
well, and it doesn't check...  Of course, that could be another bug in
the silly thing as well.

df0: to rad: works just fine right now.  Only in very weird circumstances
does it complain.  Now if only I had a 12V 2.5A, 5V 2A power supply for
my hard drive/memory, my computer might be useful again... :-(

David Navas
navas@cory.berkeley.edu