[comp.sys.amiga] Icon Highlighting

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (10/13/89)

In article <2340@cpsc6a.att.com>, crs@cpsc6a.att.com (Chris (Nyuck! Nyuck!) Seaman) writes:
> utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) writes:
> < hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) writes:
> < < [ Description of perils of discarding shift-selected files ]
> < [I say select in the background before shift-selecting]
>
> I've seen this answer in several responses, but I am confused.  If you
> want to shift-select a group of icons, you don't need the shift key
> depressed for the first selection; only the second and subsequent
> selections require it.  By NOT depressing the shift key when you make
> your first selection, any other selected drawer and/or file icons will be
> de-selected automagically :-).

You are correct, of course.  I am paranoid, of course.  Because so
many Icons these days have alternate images and multiple colors, it
has become difficult to distinguish at first glance whether some
Icons are selected or not.  I have to toggle them back and forth
a few times to be sure (and to see the 2-frame long movie:-).  This
has caused me to develop the habit of clicking in the background,
and it carries over into the rest of my life, e.g., deleting files.

> It would seem to me that never shift-selecting a first selection would
> be a good habit to develop.

Again, you are correct.  Developing modes of operation which are
consistent for various functions is also a good habit.

Also, (not a flame) I try never to depress my keys.  I have happy
keys all over my keyboard, which I often press into service, but
they serve with pride and joy--they are never depressed.  :-)
_____
  |      Todd M. Lewis            Disclaimer: If you want my employer's
  ||\/|  utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu             ideas, you'll have to
  ||  || utoddl@ecsvax.bitnet                 _buy_ them.
   |  ||
       |___   ("Prgrms wtht cmmnts r lk sntncs wtht vwls." --TML)

jeh@elmgate.UUCP (Ed Hanway) (10/14/89)

In article <1989Oct13.131838.11717@uncecs.edu> utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) writes:
>Because so
>many Icons these days have alternate images and multiple colors, it
>has become difficult to distinguish at first glance whether some
>Icons are selected or not.  I have to toggle them back and forth
>a few times to be sure (and to see the 2-frame long movie:-).

I've noticed a lot of icons that have clever alternate images, but it's too
hard to tell which is the normal image and which is the alternate. It's not
too difficult to understand "closed drawer"/"open drawer" icons, but with ones
like "disk"/"disk with lightning bolt through it" or "picture of amiga"/
"picture of amiga with text on screen" aren't immediately obvious.

I propose a few loose guidelines for designing icons:

1.	Keep the size reasonable. A 10K icon for a 30K program is not
	reasonable.

2.	For alternate image icons, make the state apparent. Suggestion:
	use color 3 (orange) sparingly in the normal image and profusely
	in the alternate.

3.	There is no rule #3.

Ed Hanway
Eastman Kodak Company	       ...!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jeh
#include <std_disclaimer.h>