[comp.sys.amiga] Suggestion for kill command.

rohwerwd@csusac.csus.edu (W. David Rohwer) (10/07/89)

I have a suggestion for the next version of the OS.  Can you include
a command to kill a process like the UNIX kill command?  It would make it
easier for me to free up resources if a program goes out to lunch.  Also, it
would prevent me from doing a warm reboot of my machine.
| W. David Rohwer            |  UUCP     :  {ucdavis|lll-crg}!csusac!rohwerwd |
|                            |  Internet :  rohwerwd@csusac.csus.edu          |

| W. David Rohwer            |  UUCP     :  {ucdavis|lll-crg}!csusac!rohwerwd |
|                            |  Internet :  rohwerwd@csusac.csus.edu          |

haj@auc.UUCP (Harvey Johnson) (10/12/89)

< . . .  BURP!!  . . .>

In article <1989Oct7.091824.8541@csusac.csus.edu> rohwerwd@csusac.UUCP (W. David Rohwer) writes:

>I have a suggestion for the next version of the OS.  Can you include
>a command to kill a process like the UNIX kill command?  It would make it
>easier for me to free up resources if a program goes out to lunch.  Also, it
>would prevent me from doing a warm reboot of my machine.
>--

I agree!  It  would be nice to stop a process like in UNIX instead of rebooting
or, as I sometimes end up doing, opening another window while sacrificing
some memory (thank goodness for multitasking!!!).

Along those lines, a commmand that tells you what processes are running would
be nice, too.  Sometimes I have processes running that I don't even know about
or forgot.

harve!

martens@meter.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (10/13/89)

In article <32292@auc.UUCP> haj@auc.UUCP (4-Harvey Johnson) writes:
>In article <1989Oct7.091824.8541@csusac.csus.edu> rohwerwd@csusac.UUCP (W. David Rohwer) writes:

>>I have a suggestion for the next version of the OS.  Can you include
>>a command to kill a process like the UNIX kill command?  It would make it
>>easier for me to free up resources if a program goes out to lunch.  Also, it
>>would prevent me from doing a warm reboot of my machine.

>I agree!  It  would be nice to stop a process like in UNIX instead of rebooting
>or, as I sometimes end up doing, opening another window while sacrificing
>some memory (thank goodness for multitasking!!!).

There was a long discussion of this here a few months ago.
Essentially, it can't be done easily because AmigaDOS doesn't have
resource tracking, and that's probably not worth adding -- slightly
worse response time, not reliable since there's really no way to keep
a process from grabbing whatever it wants anyway, and nontrivial
implementation effort.

>Along those lines, a commmand that tells you what processes are running would
>be nice, too.  Sometimes I have processes running that I don't even know about
>or forgot.

Try status.
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

And for those of us who like to gloat:  Green Bay 31, Dallas 13
					Va. Tech 12, W. Va. 10

monsoor@csusac.csus.edu (Matt Monsoor) (10/13/89)

In article <32292@auc.UUCP> haj@auc.UUCP (4-Harvey Johnson) writes:
>< . . .  BURP!!  . . .>
>
>In article <1989Oct7.091824.8541@csusac.csus.edu> rohwerwd@csusac.UUCP (W. David Rohwer) writes:
>>
>>I have a suggestion for the next version of the OS.  Can you include
>>a command to kill a process like the UNIX kill command?  It would make it
>>easier for me to free up resources if a program goes out to lunch.  Also, it
>>would prevent me from doing a warm reboot of my machine.
>>--
>
>I agree!  It  would be nice to stop a process like in UNIX instead of rebooting
>or, as I sometimes end up doing, opening another window while sacrificing
>some memory (thank goodness for multitasking!!!).
>
>Along those lines, a commmand that tells you what processes are running would
>be nice, too.  Sometimes I have processes running that I don't even know about
>or forgot.
>

>harve!

Get Xoper from the Fred Fish collection (me thinks its on disk 220)!  It will
allow you to do many things!  I use it to kill processes and tasks when I goof!
I am sorry but I do not have the name of the author with me but he is to be
commended.

|    Matthew G. Monsoor    |    UUPC:     {ucdavis|lll-crg}!csusac!monsoor    |
|      (916) 278-6288      |    Internet:  monsoor@csusac.csus.edu            |

rjtatz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert J. Tatz) (10/13/89)

Status will only give you CLI processes.  WHO (Paul Kienitz, Fish 224)
gives all processes and the current status of each one.  This was a
rewrite of an earlier submission which always died.  There was a
kill command to go with the early who command which also seemed to
break more than it fixed.
.look ma, no long sig file.  .std disclaimers, etc.

In article <1989Oct7.091824.8541@csusac.csus.edu> (W. David Rohwer) writes:
>I have a suggestion for the next version of the OS.  Can you include
>a command to kill a process like the UNIX kill command?  It would make it
>easier for me to free up resources if a program goes out to lunch.  Also, it
>would prevent me from doing a warm reboot of my machine.

Q1) How do you know what resources your program has to free ?

Q2) How do you know that your program hasn't given those resources away
    to another program?

Q3) Are you sure your program hasn't unsuspectingly written all over some
    other programs stack ?

Q4) If you program isn't looking for a Break signal now, how would a "kill"
    command send it one ?

Basically Dave it is a common request and it isn't truely possible given the
architecture of the OS. If you are using Lattice C, then one thing you can
do is start up CPR, attach to your run away program and either force it to
exit or disable it so that it won't screw anything else up. In either
event if it is just stuck in an endless loop just ignore it. (You can
use SetTaskPri() to lower it's priority to -50 or so and keep it from
affecting any other tasks.)

--Chuck McManis
"If I were driving a Macintosh, I'd have to stop before I could turn the wheel."

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) (10/13/89)

In article <1989Oct7.091824.8541@csusac.csus.edu> rohwerwd@csusac.UUCP (W. David Rohwer) writes:

>I have a suggestion for the next version of the OS.  Can you include
>a command to kill a process like the UNIX kill command?  It would make it
>easier for me to free up resources if a program goes out to lunch.  Also, it
>would prevent me from doing a warm reboot of my machine.

I agree it would be VERY NICE to have kill on the Amiga. The problem is that it
requires that the OS do resource tracking, which it does not currently do.
Another nicety (well I consider it more than that) would be process protection.
As soon as EVERYONE has MMU's this becomes possible to make standard.  In
the interim you may consider GOMF (which reportedly can attempt to expunge a
process), AbortCommand (PD program which tries to kill a CLI-executed program,
or maybe the good ol' BREAK command (OK, OK :-) ).

In short I agree with your desire, but I don't think it is as easy as writing
a simple command.

Disclaimer: I have only used the PD GOMF 1.0.  I use AbortCommand a lot.
            I use BREAK only out of frustration, 'cause it rarely works,
            but makes me feel better for the attempt.

John Lindwall                            johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
           "Above opinions are my own, not my employer's"
PenPal V1.1 for sale: $90.  All original disks, manual, box.  Registration.

In article <66457@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens writes:
>Try status.

Or better yet, try Xoper. On a fish disk near you...