[comp.sys.amiga] Which game do I buy?

pg0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Cranston Green) (10/11/89)

People,

I want to buy 1 or 2 video game titles for Amiga in the next week or so.
 The trick is, I don't know which ones to get.  I want to get a good
solid game that will provide hours of entertainment.  It can't be too
absorbing though, because I am a compulsive type and will stay up all
hours playing it.  A good example of the type of game I want is Archon
II.  You can just sit down and play it for an hour or two (unlike
DungeonMaster!!).  The other thing to know is that it can't be too
complicated to get into.  I have Carrier Command, but have not gotten
around to really winning the thing because it takes to long, etc.
Believe me, I love video games, but college comes first!

So anyways, here is a list of titles that I think might be good
possibilities.  What I want is your comments on them, or on games I have
missed that would fun.  Fire away!  Any comments will be appreciated!

  Ballistix -- looks like a good game to play with my buddies.  I would
just get it if it were not for the fact that I have two Psygnosis games
already.  Terrorpods is just plain bad.  Blood Money is a neat game, but
ultimately very frusturating.
  Falcon -- Expensive, but worth it?  I've seen it on the Mac, and it
looks pretty addicting.  Any comments from long time F-16 pilots?
  Populous -- Probably a must get.  I've seen the commentary on the net,
and the game looks good.  I just wonder if you can save games, so this
program does not steal what's left of the little sleep I get.
  Denaris -- Looks like an R-Type copy.  That's OK because I dig sheer
violence and massive firepower.  What I want to know:  is it fun to
play?  Blood Money, for example, is pretty violent, but it's one of
those games where you just keep playing until you get a good game going.
 And even if you get a good game going, it's no fun because you're to
busy being worried that you're going to die.  I'm sure people with the
game will know what I'm talking about.
  Ebonstar -- Looks like a neat concept.
  Omega -- I trust Origin.  Tank combat is generally awesome fun, too.
I want to know if it's just another c-128 port, however.  I.e. does the
game really take advantage of the Amiga's capabilites?  It also may be
that this game is one of those complicated, long learning curve games.
  Sim City -- I've seen the commentary on the net.  Which is better, Sim
City or Populous?
  Swords of Twilight -- The back of the package is keen looking, and the
game is by the people who did the Archons (I + II), generally great
games.
  Archipelagos -- Bizarre looking game with rad graphics.  Is it fun?

Don't bother responding to the net, you can just send mail at
pg0p@andrew.cmu.edu, if that's OK.  Now is your chance to spout of about
your favorite games!  You can rail on all the games I should absolutely
avoid, too!

Thanks everybody.  I think it pays to ask the net before I go spending
$40-$80 dollars.

Peter C. Green
pg0p@andrew.cmu.edu

haj@auc.UUCP (Harvey Johnson) (10/12/89)

In article <gZAnT6O00W0NI7u0NI@andrew.cmu.edu> pg0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Cranston Green) writes:
>People,
>
>I want to buy 1 or 2 video game titles for Amiga in the next week or so.
> The trick is, I don't know which ones to get.  I want to get a good
>solid game that will provide hours of entertainment.  It can't be too
>absorbing though, because I am a compulsive type and will stay up all
>hours playing it.  A good example of the type of game I want is Archon
>  [...stuff deleted...]
>  Populous -- Probably a must get.  I've seen the commentary on the net,
>and the game looks good.  I just wonder if you can save games, so this
>program does not steal what's left of the little sleep I get.

If you want a good solid game that's not too absorbing, you don't want to get
Populous!  This game gets a little addictive (okay, a lot!!   6^)  ).
I know that I have played this game for a "few minutes" that were hours long!

I am pretty sure that it does have a save feature (I haven't played it in
a while.  I borrowed from a friend and he took it back (not without an
argument! 6^) ).

It also has an option for playing over modems, but you need two copies of the
game.   It also has some other nice features plus the ability to make up your
own scenario or to set the options for "Evil."

"Well done, Mortal!!"

harve!

trudel@revenge.rutgers.edu (Jonathan D.) (10/13/89)

Skychase is a really good flight combat game!

The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't seem to allow you
to do more than one direction correction at a time, but otherwise,
buy it!

paulz@hpspdra.HP.COM (Paul Zander) (10/14/89)

I suggest you check out the F/A18 interceptor.  It was written in
assembly by someone with a background in simulators, and a lot of
knowledge of the Amiga.  When he demo'd it at a FAUG meeting, he said
that it had been checked out by friends who were military pilots.
You can easily spend a lot of minutes learning how to fly.