[comp.sys.amiga] A2080 woes...and more.

zeke@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Eric SHAMASH) (10/05/89)

It's funny, but every now and again, independent of software used, when I
use my A2080 high persistance monitor and the display is interlaced,
the lines will slowly get blurry and stay that way.  Most of the time, this
clears up within 5 minutes, and the display gets its usual sharpness back.
I find it very annoying when it happens, and was wondering it any other
2080 users suffer the same torment.

Also: I use an Amiga 500 with an A501, and I'd like to expand the system
along the lines of a hard drive and an expanded memory, but I was wondering
if there were any opinions on whether or not I would be better off selling
the 500 and getting an Amiga 2000 or 2500, and expanding that instead.

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Ciao,
Eric.
McGILL UNIVERSITY - MONTREAL

) (10/06/89)

In article <1565@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca>, zeke@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Eric SHAMASH) writes...
>It's funny, but every now and again, independent of software used, when I
>use my A2080 high persistance monitor and the display is interlaced,
>the lines will slowly get blurry and stay that way.  Most of the time, this
>clears up within 5 minutes, and the display gets its usual sharpness back.
>I find it very annoying when it happens, and was wondering it any other
>2080 users suffer the same torment.

I just replied to someone else stating that my 2nd 2080 had worked fine for
the past few months (i lied). I guess i haven't been in interlace mode since
i got it back, but even as i type, it is FUZZY in interlace mode. It was fine
for the 1st few minutes (as usual). Back to the shop. Maybe i'll talk them
into a 1084S instead.

Mark Kaye		|		|				|
Box 172, Munster Hamlet	| 613-838-3580  | kaye@fscore.dec.com		|
Ontario, Canada K0A 3P0	|		| DEC fscore::kaye or kaye @kao	|

georgeh@neptune.UUCP (George Hagilaris) (10/08/89)

In article <1565@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca> zeke@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Eric SHAMASH) writes:
>It's funny, but every now and again, independent of software used, when I
>use my A2080 high persistance monitor and the display is interlaced,
>the lines will slowly get blurry and stay that way.  Most of the time, this
>clears up within 5 minutes, and the display gets its usual sharpness back.
>I find it very annoying when it happens, and was wondering it any other
>2080 users suffer the same torment.

I have a 1084 monitor hooked up to my Amiga500 and I get the same fuzziness
problem in interlace that people have been complaining about with the A2080
(and the 1084 is not high-persistance).  On my 1084, it takes about 20 mins for
the fuzziness to begin and it lasts for about 20 mins before clearing up.
I've had my amiga for over a year now and I've always had this problem.

Has anyone else had this problem with any other monitors other than the
A2080?  I'm the only person I know that's had this problem with a 1084.
Does anyone know what causes this problem?  Is there any way of fixing it?

Just to clarify things, this is what I mean when I say that my monitor goes
fuzzy:  It appears to go into a "double interlace" mode because the display
seems to vibrate two pixels up and down rather than just one (as with normal
interlace).  As a result, you can suddenly also see the vertical scan lines
like you do in non-interlace mode (which normally disappear in interlace).
Also, because of the "double vibration", the text (and everything else) on the
screen is fuzzy and hard to read.

-George

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (10/10/89)

The problem you speak of is common with all of the 2080 monitors.  If your
monitor is still under warrenty you should take it back to the dealer and
get him to fix it.  There is a fix-kit available from Commodore which the
dealer can install to correct the problem.  This will not cost you any money
if you are still under warrenty.  I know all of this because my 2080 is
currently in the shop for said repairs .... under warrenty.
-Alan
+ Alan W. McKay       +                                               +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +
+ WOLFVILLE, N.S.     +   to make the world a better place."          +

johnf@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Flanagan) (10/10/89)

In article <667@neptune.UUCP> georgeh@neptune.UUCP (George Hagilaris) writes:
>In article <1565@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca> zeke@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Eric SHAMASH) writes:
>>It's funny, but every now and again, independent of software used, when I
>>use my A2080 high persistance monitor and the display is interlaced,
>>the lines will slowly get blurry and stay that way.
  <stuff deleted>
>I have a 1084 monitor hooked up to my Amiga500 and I get the same fuzziness
  <stuff deleted>
>Just to clarify things, this is what I mean when I say that my monitor goes
>fuzzy:  It appears to go into a "double interlace" mode because the display
>seems to vibrate two pixels up and down rather than just one (as with normal
>interlace).  As a result, you can suddenly also see the vertical scan lines
>like you do in non-interlace mode (which normally disappear in interlace).
>Also, because of the "double vibration", the text (and everything else) on the
>screen is fuzzy and hard to read.
>
>-George

This is a common problem with the old 1084's.  Mine does it too.
My dealer was never able to find the problem.  Aiming a fan at the
monitor sometimes helps.

I think this is one of the reasons Commodore ditched Magnavox as their
1084 manufacturer, and went back to whoever made the 1080's for the
newer 1084's.  Of course, that leaves the rest of us with bum monitors
and no recourse :-(  It would be nice if there were some sort of trade-in
plan for us to get a discount on a more functional monitor in exchange for
our bad 1084's, but I don't expect that will happen.

John
John Flanagan				Space Sciences Laboratory
johnf@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu		University of California
(...!ucbvax!sag4.ssl!johnf)		Berkeley, CA 94720
Manners Maketh Man.			(415) 642-7635

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (10/11/89)

In article <667@neptune.UUCP> georgeh@neptune.UUCP (George Hagilaris) writes:
>I have a 1084 monitor hooked up to my Amiga500 and I get the same fuzziness
>problem in interlace that people have been complaining about with the A2080...
>...this is what I mean when I say that my monitor goes
>fuzzy:  It appears to go into a "double interlace" mode because the display
>seems to vibrate two pixels up and down rather than just one (as with normal
>interlace).  As a result, you can suddenly also see the vertical scan lines
>like you do in non-interlace mode (which normally disappear in interlace).
>Also, because of the "double vibration", the text (and everything else) on the
>screen is fuzzy and hard to read.
George -
     Yes, I've got this problem. I had the monitor in the shop for two months;
it came back twice, and wasn't fixed either time. They keep saying that they
"don't see anything wrong" which means they're either blinder than bats or
just don't care about slightly merged images and (**&@^#*$(!!!!! pixel gap
between lines. From what I understand, this is unfortunately common on 1084
monitors. (BTW, no, it's not my computer, which is what they kept trying to
tell me. Same system works fine on other monitors.)
     On mine, it doesn't ever "go away" until I find some way of cooling
off the monitor. I put a fan on the unit (one of the magnetically isolated
Radio Shack jobs, 21 cfm) which slows down the process, but doesn't fix it.
     Basically, I wouldn't recommend a 1084 to anybody. I'm going to be getting
a Diamondscan in a month or two (or three, at the rate things are going...
some *&@($!!! hit my parked car the other day and took off...). Good luck on
getting it fixed (assuming it's fixable; anybody out there know what is
actually going on here?)
                                                       - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | PLink: Skywise | QLink: Bearclaw |

bescarlett@lotus.waterloo.edu (Caleb J. Howard) (10/11/89)

Hi, I'm Caleb Howard.  Having spent the last several months working
in Commodore Canada's Product Support department, I've come up against
the problem of the 2080's falling out of interlace mode.  The problem
is apparently in the flyback transformer of the monitor.  It is a known
flaw here in Canada, and there is a fix available.  Though, you'll
have to contact your authorized service centre to inquire about repair
policy.

I've not been told of any difficulties with the 1084's, nor have
I heard similar reports from callers here in Canada.  It does seem
conceivable that the problems are similar in nature.

I hope that this helps.

-caleb

georgeh@cognos.UUCP (George Hagilaris) (10/12/89)

In article <1989Oct9.224529.29712@aucs.uucp> 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Alan McKay) writes:
>The problem you speak of is common with all of the 2080 monitors.  If your
>monitor is still under warrenty you should take it back to the dealer and
>get him to fix it.  There is a fix-kit available from Commodore which the
>dealer can install to correct the problem.  This will not cost you any money
>if you are still under warrenty.  I know all of this because my 2080 is
>currently in the shop for said repairs .... under warrenty.
>-Alan

Do you know if this fix-kit is available for bad 1084s experiencing the same
problem?  How did you find out about this fix-kit?  I can't seem to find
anyone that knows how to fix the fuzziness problem with the old 1084s.

-George

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (10/14/89)

I read about the problem and the fix-kit a few months ago here on the net.
I asked the tech about it at my dealer and he knew which one I was talking
about and ordered the fix-kit for me.  I am not sure if it can be had for
the 1084.  When you go to your dealer, speak to the tech and not to the
salespeople.  The sales staff at my dealer did not have a clue what I was
talking about but the tech knew.  I will ask my tech for the part number to
order from C= and I will post it here.
--
+ Alan W. McKay       +                                               +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +
+ WOLFVILLE, N.S.     +   to make the world a better place."          +
+ CANADA              +                 -Tommy Douglas                +