[comp.sys.amiga] Computer names

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (10/09/89)

This belongs in comp.names.meanings or some such place, but I don't know
if there is one of those or how to get it, so...

Question: Is a computer's name a factor in how well it is received/known
          by/to computer users and the public in general?  If it *is*
          a factor (SURE it is!), then how big a factor?
                                                           ,
          Should computers have interesting, bold, or risque (?) names that
          bring a distinct non-computer image to mind and/or should they have
          an ingrained social message?  For example:

            The Commodore Amiga--  the sea captain's female friend?
                                   Is Commodore trying to increase the world's
                                   awareness of the Spanish language and/or
                                   Spanish culture?  Should we study up on
                                   Naval ranks and history?

            The Apple Macintosh--  Shouldn't that be 'Macintosh Apple'?
                                   Is Apple trying to increase the world's
                                   awareness of a specific type of apple and/or
                                   fruits in general?

          Or, should computer names bring a non-distinct, technical, and/or
          military image to mind?  For example:

            IBM anything-- is this an improper acronym for intercontinental
                           ballistic missile?  Does IBM want to bring to mind
                           a serious, 'we mean BUSINESS' computer by using
                           acronyms?  Of course, by calling it's computer
                           the PC, IBM has successfully created the false
                           idea that when one speaks of one's Personal
                           Computer, one is referring to an IBM machine;
                           this is actually quite shrewd marketing.

            Atari ST--     the acronym here has a real meaning, but it may be
                           lost on most people (like so many other XL, GT,
                           EXP, CX, CXI, TPI, etc. acronyms used in product
                           names [not just computers]).  Perhaps it isn't a
                           very interesting name, but you can see the reason
                           behind it. (ST= sixteen thirty-two)

Maybe we should start naming computer's after adverbs or adjectives like
the 'NeXT' computer.  How about the 'First' or the 'Last' or the 'Hairy'
or the 'Platinum' or or or....  There are so many angles to this thing...
The possibilities are endless...but you don't want to read an endless post,
and I have babbled far too long.  Sorry if I made fun of anyone's favorite
computer/computer name.  Now I will sign off and go play with MandelVroom :-)

 # Baird McIntosh  "...Why do people choose to live their lives...this way?"  #
 # INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet #

acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) (10/09/89)

In article <1112@nigel.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
|Maybe we should start naming computer's after adverbs or adjectives like
|the 'NeXT' computer.  How about the 'First' or the 'Last' or the 'Hairy'

	Or perhaps they should have name the NeXT, the NeAT and then we
	would have the Ne386 and the Ne486....
Alejandro Liu
acliu%skat@usc.edu	acliu@skat.usc.edu
(Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/10/89)

in article <1112@nigel.udel.EDU>, C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) says:

>             The Apple Macintosh--  Shouldn't that be 'Macintosh Apple'?
>                                    Is Apple trying to increase the world's
>                                    awareness of a specific type of apple and/or
>                                    fruits in general?

It should actually be The Apple McIntosh, named for John McIntosh, the inventor
of the red apple that bears his name. A Macintosh or Mackintosh is a rubberized
raincoat, named for its inventor, Charles Macintosh.

>  # Baird McIntosh  "...Why do people choose to live their lives...this way?"  #
>  # INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet #

           ^^^^^^^^
But you should know all of this! :-) :-) :-)
--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (10/14/89)

In article <8128@cbmvax.uucp>, daveh@cbmvax.uucp (Dave Haynie) says:
>in article <1112@nigel.udel.EDU>, C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh)
> says:
>>        The Apple Macintosh--  Shouldn't that be 'Macintosh Apple'?
>>                               Is Apple trying to increase the world's
>>                               awareness of a specific type of apple and/or
>>                               fruits in general?
>
>It should actually be The Apple McIntosh,named for John McIntosh, the inventor
>of the red apple that bears his name.  A Macintosh/Mackintosh is a rubberized
>raincoat, named for its inventor, Charles Macintosh.
> [...]
>># Baird McIntosh ....
>         ^^^^^^^^
>But you should know all of this! :-) :-) :-)

Ok, so it should be the McIntosh Apple.  What I mean is, if you were
choosing between eating an apple named after Jonathan and one named after
McIntosh, you would say, "I'd like to eat that *McIntosh Apple*."
Does that make sense?

Speaking of eating apples, when is Commodore gonna 'eat' Apple's sales?
:-)  :-)