[comp.sys.amiga] X11 for AMIGA

anderson@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM (Anderson) (05/02/89)

In article <722@boing.UUCP>, dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) writes:

> 	X11 Released for the Amiga Computer
> 	-----------------------------------

	I saw the Amiga X11 at XConnectathon in San Fran. earlier
this year and was impressed with it. We ran our clients on it from
the NCR Towers we had, and everything worked that way it was supposed to
work. While the amiga doesn't have as much horsepower as some of the
big graphics workstation, the graphics chips help it to keep a decent
pace.  Even when we ran a server-killer client, the amiga ran smoothly.

Stuart Anderson        anderson@Orlando.NCR.COM       NCR E&M Orlando, Florida
..!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrorl!anderson                       (407) 333-9250 ext. 288
****        My words, my opinions. No one elses          *****

dleigh@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Darren Leigh) (05/03/89)

In article <527@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM> anderson@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM (Anderson) writes:
>In article <722@boing.UUCP>, dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) writes:
>
>	I saw the Amiga X11 at XConnectathon in San Fran. earlier
>this year and was impressed with it. We ran our clients on it from
>the NCR Towers we had, and everything worked that way it was supposed to
>work. While the amiga doesn't have as much horsepower as some of the
>big graphics workstation, the graphics chips help it to keep a decent
>pace.  Even when we ran a server-killer client, the amiga ran smoothly.

I saw it at the Xhibition last August.  The best part was that it was
running on a 500 with a genlock showing live video behind the windows.
Right next to the Boing booth was Parallax Graphics running live video
in an X window with their $8000 board set.  Ya' got balls, Dale.

========
Darren Leigh
Internet:  dleigh@hplabs.hp.com
UUCP:      hplabs!dleigh

chekmate@athena.mit.edu (Adam Kao) (05/04/89)

>Ya' got balls, Dale.

What an awesome slogan.  "Boing!  We got balls."
The advertising possiblities are endless . . .

Adam

<3286@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> <11078@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>
In article <11078@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> chekmate@athena.mit.edu (Adam Kao)
writes:

>>Ya' got balls, Dale.
>
>What an awesome slogan.  "Boing!  We got balls."
>The advertising possiblities are endless . . .
>
>Adam

Yea, except I thought that Dale sold his opto mouse: The one without balls :-)
That's supposed to be the big selling point. :-) :-)

So it would have to be:
Boing! We got balls, but our mice don't.

Are these mice  unix mice? [pun intended]
If so that would explain the lack of [better stop now, it's starting to get
raunchy :-) ]

This message rated PG,

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406

ZRFL%DS0RUS1I.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Heinz W. Poehlmann) (10/14/89)

Hello everybody,
recently I've heared about an existing X-Window-11 Implementation for
the Amiga.  Can somebody give me as much details as possible?
Are there also Toolkits available and Xlib/Xt-Libraries ?
Where can I get it, does it work via normal Ethernet-Board and/or locally ?
How is the performance ? What's the price ? Is it full compatible with
X11 on Workstations like Apollo/SUN/SGI etc. ?
Thanks in advance,
Heinz
Heinz Poehlmann - Computer Center University of Stuttgart - FRG
ZRFL@DS0RUS1I.BITNET

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (10/15/89)

In article <1653@nigel.udel.EDU> ZRFL%DS0RUS1I.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Heinz W. Poehlmann) writes:
>Hello everybody,
>recently I've heared about an existing X-Window-11 Implementation for
>the Amiga.  Can somebody give me as much details as possible?

In case my email does not get back to you I will post some information
here. The mail is a much more detailed report.

>Are there also Toolkits available and Xlib/Xt-Libraries ?

Xlib and the standard MIT toolkits are currently in alpha-testing at
several sites. Preliminary reports state no problems with Xlib, a few
hiccups with the toolkits, mixing math ffp and ieee errors, etc. Also
we have been waiting for the OFFSET macro fix in the lattice compiler
to compile the toolkits under lattice. The original X src makes extensive
use of this macro.

>Where can I get it,

GfxBase, 1881 Ellwell Dr., Milptas, Ca.  95035   408/262-1469

>does it work via normal Ethernet-Board and/or locally ?

yes to both questions. Also next version works with Syndesis DECnet/TSSnet
product which is currently in beta testing.

>How is the performance ?

Maybe other users of X11 for the Amiga can comment on this.

>What's the price ?
$395 (USD), $475(includes Boing! mouse)

>Is it full compatible with X11 on Workstations like Apollo/SUN/SGI etc. ?

Tested to be compliant with all above as well as others at '89 Connectathon
in February.

>Heinz Poehlmann - Computer Center University of Stuttgart - FRG

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale