[comp.sys.amiga] Wish for 1.4

rsine@nswc-wo.arpa (Sine) (04/25/89)

I have a request for 1.4, and for the life of me I can't understand why
it isn't on everyones list.  The request is for improved exception handlers.
That's a simple request, it's the implementation that's difficult :-)

I just feel that many of the GURU's should be error messages, and that one
shouldn't have to reboot the machine.

Ran
ARPA: rsine@nswc-wo

In article <13920002@hpfelg.HP.COM> koren@hpfelg.HP.COM (Steve Koren) writes:
> So, how do you do it?  There must be an easy way to execute a program
> that won't crash on some programs, and will let you have the return
> code back from the command, and lets you redirect I/O.

Unfortunately there isn't. My dearest wish for 1.4, since they're trashing
all the BCPL excrement, is a System() that allows you to specify:

	- The name of the program to execute.
	- The command line to pass to the program.
	- The standard input of the command (CurrentInput).
	- The standard output of the command (CurrentOutput).
	- The command/terminal input of the command (DefaultInput). This
	  should be what you get if you open "*" for reading.
	- The error/terminal output of the command (DefaultOutput). This
	  should be what you get if you open "*" for writing.
	- The initial stack size of the command.
	- The priority of the command.
	- The current directory of the command.
	- Either a flag that means "wait until the command has finished", or
	  a message port to wait on for the command to complete. If this is
	  not provided, the command should be run asynchronously and clean
	  up after itself (This requires a DupHandle() call as well).

The ability to run BCPL commands is only needed if there are BCPL commands
shipped with 1.4.

The return from this routine should include:

	- An indication that the command was sucessfully launched.
	- The return status of the command (may be in a reply message).
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`

In article <4340@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Unfortunately there isn't. My dearest wish for 1.4, since they're trashing
>all the BCPL excrement, is a System() that allows you to specify:

	[many good ideas]

>The ability to run BCPL commands is only needed if there are BCPL commands
>shipped with 1.4.

	No, we MUST support 1.3/1.2 WB disks under 1.4.  Many commercial
programs are shipped with such things on them.  We may not support them
forever, though.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

In article <8154@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
> In article <4340@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >The ability to run BCPL commands is only needed if there are BCPL commands
> >shipped with 1.4.

> 	No, we MUST support 1.3/1.2 WB disks under 1.4.  Many commercial
> programs are shipped with such things on them.  We may not support them
> forever, though.

You're right. Sigh... all is not lost, though. The System() call can use
a new interface and abandon BCPL programs, if the existing Execute() call
remains (which it will have to do, for compatibility), and the standard CLI
uses it. However, a new shell (AmigaShell 2.0?) should be at liberty to
abandon BCPL. Not so?
--

In article <4352@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
->In article <8154@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
->> In article <4340@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
->> >The ability to run BCPL commands is only needed if there are BCPL commands
->> >shipped with 1.4.
->
->> 	No, we MUST support 1.3/1.2 WB disks under 1.4.  Many commercial
->> programs are shipped with such things on them.  We may not support them
->> forever, though.
->
->You're right. Sigh... all is not lost, though. The System() call can use
->a new interface and abandon BCPL programs, if the existing Execute() call
->remains (which it will have to do, for compatibility), and the standard CLI
->uses it. However, a new shell (AmigaShell 2.0?) should be at liberty to
->abandon BCPL. Not so?

You are still gonna get zapped sooner or later.

Question to CBM> Is there an easy way to tell a CBM BCPL executable
from most other stuff? I imagine all (or most) BCPL programs
from CBM all start out the same way. Sooo, a System() call
could detect this, and return an error instead of a GURU.
 Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu