[comp.sys.amiga] Hard drive validation

ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (10/16/89)

I crashed while writing to a file today (ran out of stack), and when I
rebooted, the hard drive wouldn't validate.  I made a stab at fixing it
with sectorama, but wasn't successful.  What I did was simply delete
that file, but the hard drive still wouldn't validate.  Then I tried
deleteing the entire directory, but still no go.  Barring something
extremely unlikely, it seems to me that the trouble has to be the file
that was being written to at the time of the crash.  So why doesn't
removing the file fix it?  Are there other steps to take to recover from
this?  The hard drive is a C.Ltd drive with FFS.

BTW, right before I reformatted, I ran diskdoctor just for laughs.  I
wasn't expecting it to fix the drive, after all the bad things I've
heard about it; but I certainly wasn't prepared for the complete mess
it made of all of my perfectly good files.  It was incredible.  I
certainly hope this atrocity is either fixed or obliterated in 1.4.
(Along with Amigabasic and the Notepad!)  Software this bad just can't
afford to be distributed with the machine.  Ship Disksalv with 1.4
instead! (Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.)

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cis.unix.pitt.edu

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (10/16/89)

In article <20023@unix.cis.pitt.edu> ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:

>I crashed while writing to a file today (ran out of stack), and when I

>BTW, right before I reformatted, I ran diskdoctor just for laughs.  I
>wasn't expecting it to fix the drive, after all the bad things I've
>heard about it; but I certainly wasn't prepared for the complete mess
>it made of all of my perfectly good files.  It was incredible.  I

Please email details on what you did, and what happened.
Were you using the current version ?  (1.3.5)
   (how much ram did you have, what size drive ?)
What version of FastFileSystem ?
What exactly did you do with sectorama ? What version sectorama ?
   (did you check to make sure it found the root block ?)
Why didn't Disksalv help ?  Did you try it ?

We'd like to improve our software, but we need information.

(after you munge a disk with a disk editor, all bets are off...I doubt
 either disksalv or anything else could have made much sense of your
 drive at that point)
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

Life gets pretty complex the minute you stop mooing.