[comp.sys.amiga] Bus Master Boards

admiral%m-5@Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht SUN Microsystems Mt. View Ca.) (10/04/89)

Does anyone out there know of any boards for the A2000 that's a
bus master?

I'm doing some research on the amiga 2000 bus.

Please email me with the responses.

Thanks in advance.

Mick
sun.com!admiral

swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) (10/04/89)

In article <125730@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> admiral%m-5@Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht SUN Microsystems Mt. View Ca.) writes:

>Does anyone out there know of any boards for the A2000 that's a
>bus master?
>
>I'm doing some research on the amiga 2000 bus.
>
>Please email me with the responses.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Mick
>sun.com!admiral

Which brings up a point, and I would appreciate it if someone really
knowledgeable about the Amiga bus would answer.  I keep seeing
articles about IBM's MC bus standard, and as I read them I keep
trying to find what it is about MC that is so special.  I recently
saw an article which promoted an 80 MB/s bus speed on 32-bit MC
busses, which I didn't credit (it was some kind of marketing
announcement, and I don't think they had the hardware to demonstrate
these speeds).

Can someone please explain what it is conceptually about MC bus
architecture that is so unique, and in what ways this is
superior to the Amiga bus (besides sheer speed).  It looked to
me like they were getting excited because it allowed auto-config.

--Steve
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/05/89)

in article <1956@convex.UUCP>, swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) says:

> Which brings up a point, and I would appreciate it if someone really
> knowledgeable about the Amiga bus would answer.  I keep seeing
> articles about IBM's MC bus standard, and as I read them I keep
> trying to find what it is about MC that is so special.

I think lots of people are trying to figure out the same thing.  Which
basically points to the truth -- there's nothing all that special about
the new IBM Microchannel bus.  It's a basic 32 bit, non-multiplexed bus
with fairly arbitrated multimaster capability and a pseudo-autoconfiguration
mechanism.

All the hum about it was generated, I suspect, for two reasons.  First of
all, because it has the IBM name on it, which some folks respect for some
reason (I guess before my time -- I've only been active in the computer
business for about 10 years).  And, if nothing else, IBM is BIG, so anything
they do is bound to have an effect, even if it's a negative effect.

Secondly, because of how bad the IBM XT/AT buses are.  For instance, the
XT/AT buses don't allow interrupts to be shared, so if one card uses a
particular interrupt line, no other card can.  Soon you run out of interrupts.
Also, there's no way for an expansion card to master the bus, and the DMA
controller in these systems (which, in an ideal world, could run transfers
at 1/2 the rate of a bus master for things like hard disk transfers, etc) is
so slow, most folks opt for using programmed I/O (eg, the CPU does the
transfers) anyway.  And of course, XT/AT cards are simply I/O and memory
mapped at fixed locations, so when you add one, you typically have to adjust
jumpers so that your new board doesn't conflict with any of the older boards.

All of these issues were addressed in the Amiga Bus originally, so other than
for speed and arbitration fairness, the Microchannel bus doesn't sound all
that amazing compared to the Amiga bus.  Or the NuBus in the Mac II.  In
fact, while I haven't actually used a Microchannel system, the stories I've
heard about it make it's autoconfiguration mechanism (or perhaps just the
OS/2 interface to this mechanism) real bad compared to what you have in the
Amiga system.  For instance, when you plug a memory card in the Amiga bus,
it gets added into the memory pool on the next powerup, automatically.  If
you remove it, it goes away.  If you add a hardware device, like this Bridge
Card I have here, it's device driver gets automatically bound in on startup
(assuming you copied the driver into SYS:Expansion on your boot disk), when
you remove the card, the driver doesn't get started.  Apparently, on the
Microchannel, you have to specifically tell the system to add a card in.  And
when you remove a card, you have to specifically tell the system it's leaving,
or it won't boot.  Like I said, I haven't tried it, but one of the folks
discussing this on BIX said that you've basically "traded hardware jumpers
for software jumpers".  Amigas generally work without any jumpers, and I
gather Mac IIs work about as well.  So it's obvious that IBM doesn't have all
the answers.

> I recently saw an article which promoted an 80 MB/s bus speed on 32-bit MC
> busses, which I didn't credit (it was some kind of marketing announcement,
> and I don't think they had the hardware to demonstrate these speeds).

You have to watch bus speed claims, because a maximum rate rarely tells you
the whole story.  For instance, the Mac NuBus has a top speed around 32
MB/s (as I recall), but the CPU access is closer to 3.5 MB/s.  Top speed is
only in burst mode, which typically can only be achieved between I/O
devices.

So take the base maximum stated speed of MC bus, which is 20 MB/s (I don't
know what mode; chances are the CPU isn't talking this fast on the bus).
Now double the mimimum bus cycle time; now you're at 40MB/s.  Now, instead
of sending address on 32 wires and data on another 32, send address out
on 32 wires, let whoever's listening latch that address, and then send
data out on 64 wires.  Now you're up to 80MB/s.  That's essentially, if not
exactly, what IBM's doing here.  Depending on how clever they were when they
designed the bus, existing implementations may or may not be able to support
these new modes.  Certainly existing implementations won't all of a sudden
start sending 64 bit data packets, but they may work OK with bus master and
slave cards that want to talk that way between each other.  Some company's
recently discussed a very similar 64 bit approach on VME bus, and you can
certainly imagine that the same principles can be applied to any bus that's
sophisticated enough to keep the "old-mode" cards at least quiet while any
"new-mode" things are on the bus.

> It looked to me like they were getting excited because it allowed
> auto-config.

To a large extent, they were -- that's what most of the world sees in the
new IBM bus.  Then again, to a part of the computer world, IBM is computers,
and if they don't have it, it doesn't exist.  In fact, you can often
understand a conversation between IBMers if you substitute the phrase
"has finally adpoted" for the word "invented".  As in, "IBM invented the
3.5 inch microfloppy drive", "IBM invented an autoconfiguring expansion bus",
etc.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

brian@grebyn.com (Brian Bishop) (10/08/89)

In article <8103@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:

  [  lots of stuff about how IBM's new bus is no big deal ... then: ]

>and if they don't have it, it doesn't exist.  In fact, you can often
>understand a conversation between IBMers if you substitute the phrase
>"has finally adpoted" for the word "invented".  As in, "IBM invented the
>3.5 inch microfloppy drive", "IBM invented an autoconfiguring expansion bus",
>etc.

     Ahhh!!!!   Yes, this sums up the nasty feeling I have about 'BM
entirely.   You see, I have this nightmare that I am a 40 year-old
hacker somwhere (I'm 24 now) and someone offhandedly mentions that IBM
invented multitasking when they released OS/2. Aiiieeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

   Brian "Caught With His .Sig Down" Bishop

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (10/13/89)

In article <13998@grebyn.com> brian@grebyn.UUCP (Brian Bishop) writes:

>     Ahhh!!!!   Yes, this sums up the nasty feeling I have about 'BM
>entirely.   You see, I have this nightmare that I am a 40 year-old
>hacker somwhere (I'm 24 now) and someone offhandedly mentions that IBM
>invented multitasking when they released OS/2. Aiiieeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

I BEG your pardon, forty is fine 8-{).

You can bet IBM will announce their discovery of a new approach to computing.
They will dub it multitasking and the official name will be OS/2.

They did this with 5 1/4 inch floppies about 7 or eight years ago and have
mentioned a new more portable media in a smaller size in the past 2 years.

I can hardly wait for this new inovation maybe they have developed a disk that
will fit in a shirt pocket. WOW!

--
Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!b3!sys_7a!phil
MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 772-2497

pa1014@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU (pa1014) (10/13/89)

I believe it was IBM that invented the original floppy disk, so maybe
their claims concerning floppies are valid (maybe not the pocket
sized, though).  Let them claim what they want, we know better and
if those CBM commercials are any good...

                           Vinh Le
BitNet:	                   vle@UCSD.BITNET
InterNet:                  vle@UCSD.EDU

joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara - QA) (10/13/89)

In article <6862@ingr.com> phil@ingr.UUCP (Phil Johnson) writes:
>In article <13998@grebyn.com> brian@grebyn.UUCP (Brian Bishop) writes:
>
>>     Ahhh!!!!   Yes, this sums up the nasty feeling I have about 'BM
>>entirely.   You see, I have this nightmare that I am a 40 year-old
>>hacker somwhere (I'm 24 now) and someone offhandedly mentions that IBM
>>invented multitasking when they released OS/2. Aiiieeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
>
>I BEG your pardon, forty is fine 8-{).
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

                      I wholeheartedly agree! :-)

>You can bet IBM will announce their discovery of a new approach to computing.
>They will dub it multitasking and the official name will be OS/2.

   IBM did pretty much the same thing in the mainframe world. Honeywell and
   Burroughs had multi-tasking/multi-processing machines circa 1960. Yet IBM
   'discovered' multi-tasking with the release of System/370. Go figure.

bn@attcc.UUCP (10/17/89)

/* Written 10:15 pm  Oct 12, 1989 by pa1014@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU in attcc.UUCP:comp.s.amiga */
I believe it was IBM that invented the original floppy disk, so maybe
their claims concerning floppies are valid

Actually, it was some guy in Japan.
He also invented some sort of chair which gives you the equivalent of 8 hours
of sleep in just 1 hour. (sounds just like just what I need)