[comp.sys.amiga] Scrolling Gadgets

mcw@wet.UUCP (Martin Warnett) (10/14/89)

Up until now the standard way of implementing scolling gadgets on the
Amiga has been an up gadget, a prop gadget and a down gadget. It worked
great for me.

I have recently received two product upgrades, TxEd and ProWrite. Both
these products have changed to put the prop gadget at the top and the
up/down gadgets at the bottom next to each other. I hated it when I first
used them because I kept hitting the wrong one. I refrained from comment
for a month or so figuring I would get used to it. But I haven't. One
of the problems might be that I am using interlace mode which can make
these gadgets very small.

Where is this trend coming from? Lets stamp it out NOW! I realize that
you can move up/down with less mouse movement which might appeal to
some, but it is not working out for me.

How about implementing it as an option.

Any thoughts?

Martin.
--
+====================================================================+
| Martin Warnett          | uucp:   ...sun!claris!wet!mcw            |

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (10/16/89)

In article <668@wet.UUCP> mcw@wet.UUCP (Martin Warnett) writes:
>Up until now the standard way of implementing scolling gadgets on the
>Amiga has been an up gadget, a prop gadget and a down gadget.

[Talks about up/down gadgets together]

>Where is this trend coming from? Lets stamp it out NOW!

I understood that 1.4 was to implement the up/down gadgets together &
that the new product versions which implement them are doing so in
anticipation of 1.4.

BTW, I like them together more than separate.

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) (10/17/89)

In article <22341@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>I understood that 1.4 was to implement the up/down gadgets together &
>that the new product versions which implement them are doing so in
>anticipation of 1.4.

There are two ways of putting the up/down gadgets together:

1.  Use two separate gadgets, one up and one down.
    An example of this is the ARP File Requester.
    You scroll up or down depending on which gadget
    you selected initially.

2.  Use one large gadget with both arrows drawn into
    it. An example of this is the AZ text editor.
    You select scrolling direction by positioning the
    pointer above or below the (center of) gadget.

I prefer the second alternative.

Mikael Karlsson, Lovsattersvagen 10, S-585 98  LINKOPING, SWEDEN
micke@slaka.UUCP, micke@slaka.sirius.se
{mcvax,munnari,seismo}!enea!liuida!slaka!micke
C86.M-KARLSSON@LINUS.liu.se