[comp.sys.amiga] Viruses

edwin@hcr.UUCP (Edwin Hoogerbeets) (06/30/88)

There is an article in the latest FidoNET news about using Public Key
Encryption as a means of distributing safe software. The article
appeared in comp.org.fidonet (v5n26 digest) on 'page' 9. The idea was
to have each developer have his/her own signature key to encrypt files.
Or to have the files encrypted by some trusted persons (moderators?)
that we know have distributed virus free software before.

In light of the recent Amiga viruses, maybe someone should look into
this.

I have difficulty imagining how you could do this safely, however. A
large database of keys would have to be kept. If someone is new to the
public domain market for their own machine (hi there), it would be
difficult to establish their reputation as they start producing
software. Also, who is to say that viruses will	not accidentally get
encryted into the final distribution file. hmmm.

------ --------- -------------------------------------------
Edwin (Deepthot)                      Waterloo co-op student, HCR Corporation
Hoogerbeets		   If you can't stand the cold, get into the kitchen!
utai!{utzoo,utcsri}!hcr!edwin                 Null human body; hope that's ok
                      edwin@hcr        //                     Me Tarzan, Unix
or:                                   //                      I/owe is costly
...!hcr!MsgPort!edwin             \\ //   Amiga	      This mind intentionally
A 2000 running UUPC                \X/    Enthusiast               left blank

marge@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Marge Luecke) (07/22/88)

THIS IS A PLEA FOR HELP!!!!!

If anybody has ANY infromation on Computer Viruses, Immunizations, etc.,
please forward the infromation.

I am working on a senior project on computer viruses.  I would like to try
to write an immunization program, however, I cannot obtain enough information
from published literature to do so.

How do viruses work inside the computer.  What are some present methods of
detection?  Are there any public domain immunization programs available?
Where?  Somebody wrote in one article that one could write a virus using the
pc-dos appendices as reference...I looked this up and was not too successful...
how do I do this?...What was meant by this?  What are some infected programs
which were available?  What is the SCORES virus?  How about VirusX?, etc...

				Thank you,
				Marge Luecke
				Senior EE, Villanova University

P.S. I can be reached several ways:

	1.  This computer system.

	2.  FAX:
			(609) 723-8461

			(USA)

	3.  Mail:
			Marge Luecke
			980 Wakeling Street     or Dept. of EE
			Philadelphia, PA  19124    Tolentine Hall
			USA			   Villanova University
						   Villanova, PA  19085
						   USA

	4.  PHONE:
			(215) 645-4970   Day
			(215) 537-9633   Evening

avenger@runx.ips.oz (Troy Rollo ) (07/24/88)

I was recently asked to consider this problem. The easiest  solu-
tion  I  came  up  with was to write a Virus Immunisation Program
(VIP) which calculated cyclic redundancy check numbers  for  each
file  on a given device and stored these numbers on a safe medium
prior to backup.  Regular checks
 could be made using the VIP, and if the CRC on any program (exe-
cutable, source, object or script) does not match (and should not
have been modified) the suspect file should be restored from  the
backup medium.

Precautions:

1) The machine should never  automatically  boot  from  the  hard
disk.  The  operating system on that disk may be infected, and if
you subsequently run your backup program or VIP, they may  become
infected.

2) The machine should be turned off  before  running  either  the
backup program or the VIP for much the same reasons as (1).

3) Along the same lines as (1) and (2), the  backup  program  and
VIP  should  be contained on separate floppy disks, each with its
own operating system.

Internet: avenger@runx.ips.oz.au
UUCP: uunet!runx.ips.oz.au!avenger

"Watch out for Gobbledocks - they'll steal all your silicon chippies"

In article <8810062045.AA04638@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>	Security is a figment of our imaginations.  As the defense department
>and univerisities all over the nation have found out, the only reasonably
>secure system is an isolated one.

Last Wednesday I attended a seminar by Len Adleman [he is the 'A' in RSA,
the Rivest-Shamir-Adleman public key crypto system, and thesis advisor
of Fred Cohen, the originator of the initial theory and experiences
on viruses].

Len presented "work in progress" for a paper on a general theory on
computer viruseshe is now developing.  One of ffirst results that he
came up with was the proof of "undecidability" of whether a program is
a virus or not.  This means that I can give you the "source" of a program
and there is no way for you to decide whether it will act as a virus or not.
As Matt pointed out, the only "secure" system is an isolated, un-changing
system; one that would be of very little use to anybody.

Virus detectors and "antidotes" are just temporary band-aids, until
"intelligent" virus writers develop viruses that we con't detect or figure
out how they work.  That time is certainly not that far away.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (10/07/88)

In article <12643@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>computer viruseshe is now developing.  One of ffirst results that he
>came up with was the proof of "undecidability" of whether a program is
>a virus or not.  This means that I can give you the "source" of a program
>and there is no way for you to decide whether it will act as a virus or not.
Funny you should mention this. There
is a program called 'vaccine' for the MAC which
will claim that minicad is a virus!
It confuses the copy protection of minicad with
virus code.
ron

rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) (10/08/88)

Recently there has been a virus problem here at CMU (the University's
Pascal got infected, and since they geve a copy to everyone who was in the
intro to computing courses it spread all over.) In any case one of the viruses
attached its self to various files, so the question I have is, is there any
(knowen) Amiga viruses that do somthing similar (ie. that couldn't be detected
on the boot bloc w/ VirusX, Vcheck etc. because there were attached to a FILE)?
Also, if there is any of this type on the Amiga, is there a program to find/
remove it?  (I'm feeling paranoid about all my disks!)

| Disclaimer: Me? Post That, impossible I never Post anything....          |
| TyptoYouLater(Everyone); -> "functional Good bye"...                     |
| Rick Golembiewski [ Pronounciation is half the Battle, spelling the other  |

wbralick@afit-ab.arpa (William A. Bralick) (10/11/88)

In article <12643@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <8810062045.AA04638@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

[ conserving bandstand ... ]

>computer viruseshe is now developing.  One of ffirst results that he
>came up with was the proof of "undecidability" of whether a program is
>a virus or not.  This means that I can give you the "source" of a program
>and there is no way for you to decide whether it will act as a virus or not.

Actually, this means that you cannot be *guarenteed* to be able to detect
*all* viruses.  This is not to say that the result is insignificant, just
that it is possible to decide that some programs are viruses, but provably
not all.

>As Matt pointed out, the only "secure" system is an isolated, un-changing
>system; one that would be of very little use to anybody.

Rather, it is a system which has excellent physical security, is
electronically isolated, and has good-to-excellent configuration
management.  There are systems which have these characteristics
in the government (and elsewhere) which perform admirably accomplishing
the purpose for which they were built.  Note that this does not preclude
sabotage, etc.

>Virus detectors and "antidotes" are just temporary band-aids, until
>"intelligent" virus writers develop viruses that we con't detect or figure
>out how they work.  That time is certainly not that far away.

I dunno, it is tantamount to trying to write a "false" program for which
no counterexample can be provided.  Goedel incompleteness tells us that
this is theoretically possible, but I'll be danged if I can figure out
how to write one.

Cordially,
Will

craig@lakesys.UUCP (Craig Stodolenak) (10/13/88)

In article <814@super.ORG> rminnich@duper.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>Funny you should mention this. There
>is a program called 'vaccine' for the MAC which
>will claim that minicad is a virus!
>It confuses the copy protection of minicad with
>virus code.

_Vaccine_ is a free antiviral CDEV written by Don Brown of CE Software.  It
doesn't doesn't inspect program code in any way.  Whenever a program attempts
to install or modify significant resources (CODE< INIT, CDEV, RDEV, or nVIR),
_Vaccine_ halts execution and allows the user to either abort or continue.

If the copy-protection code attempts to modify or install any resources, then
_Vaccine_ would yell and holler.  :-)

--
Craig L. Stodolenak  | {backbone,uunet}!marque!lakesys!craig
3454 So. Quincy Ave. | craig@lakesys.UUCP / Lake Systems, Milwaukee WI

jjv3345@ritcv.UUCP (Jeff Van Epps) (10/14/88)

[Is the line-eater a virus?]

Thoughts:

1. We DO NOT have virus-detection programs. We have a few pretty trivial
   special-case programs (i.e. only looking at the boot block or only
   recognizing one strain of virus) and we have a few programs which yell
   if a file is a different size than it used to be.

2. Deciding whether or not a given program is a virus: You would have to
   search the entire execution tree, taking all possible branches, using
   all possible values for external input. You would also have to deal
   with a mutating tree (self-modifying code).

3. Since doing (2) fully is equivalent to running every possible
   execution of the program, ever, it is unlikely to be accomplished in
   a reasonable amount of time. Something that looks more possible is
   to examine the program for external interactions (disk, output port,
   screen, keyboard, even memory). Unfortunately, any useful program will
   have many of these. Then trace backwards and figure out what conditions
   must be true to get you to this point in the program, and what values the
   data involved may have.

   You can eliminate some of the interaction categories if your system
   has certain characteristics. If you have memory protection, ignore
   memory interactions. If your keyboard has no keys that can be
   reprogrammed, and can't be made to produce input that you didn't type,
   ignore keyboard interactions. Etc.

4. Even (3) looks far too hard to work on anything except possibly one of
   the languages developed to be useful in terms of program verification.

5. Statements claiming UNIX is not susceptible to a virus are false.
   Manifestly so, since it has happened. Statements claiming it has
   better virus protection than, for example, MS-DOS, are true but
   misleading. Certainly it's better to have a newspaper to shield
   yourself from the rain than nothing at all, but it only stops the
   laziest of raindrops. You still get awfully wet.

6. My Amiga has remained virus-free so far, but then I've never even been
   near a user's group or other gang of disk-swappers. I have run all sorts
   of binaries from the net (don't have a compiler yet) without incident.

7. Programs are not the only means of propagation available to a virus.
   This very message might contain some sequence of control characters
   that could reprogram your function keys. The key you thought held
   your signature might now contain the same sequence of control
   characters, plus perhaps a command to format your disk. Who knows?

8. Danger lurks everywhere.

9. That article in Time Magazine was ridiculous. They actually made a
   cartoon out of someone getting infected by a virus.

Enough gloom for one night. (Geez, how would I feel if I *had* been
infected already?).

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (10/14/88)

In article <934@ritcv.UUCP>, jjv3345@ritcv.UUCP (Jeff Van Epps) writes:
> 5. Statements claiming UNIX is not susceptible to a virus are false.

I don't think ANYONE is claiming this to be true.

>    Statements claiming it has
>    better virus protection than, for example, MS-DOS, are true but
>    misleading. Certainly it's better to have a newspaper to shield
>    yourself from the rain than nothing at all, but it only stops the
>    laziest of raindrops. You still get awfully wet.

This analogy is way too harsh, unless you're running UNIX in an open
academic environment. Most commercial UNIX sites don't have any easy way
for a virus to get in. For these it's more like a set of raingear.

> 6. My Amiga has remained virus-free so far, but then I've never even been
>    near a user's group or other gang of disk-swappers. I have run all sorts
>    of binaries from the net (don't have a compiler yet) without incident.

My Amiga has been virus-free and I've been an active member of a user's group.
Since I never unprotect my workbench disk and run SYS: out of vd0: the easy
avenues for infection are cut off. If someone wants to write a virus to get
me, they can, but it's a lot easier for them to get people who boot random
programs and have half a dozen alternate workbenches they're always modifying.

> 7. Programs are not the only means of propagation available to a virus.
>    This very message might contain some sequence of control characters
>    that could reprogram your function keys.

That'd be a pretty daft virus, since (a) very few terminals have the same set
of function key formats, and (b) vnews doesn't pass them on anyway.

> 8. Danger lurks everywhere.

No, danger doesn't lurk everywhere. You're getting paranoid.

> 9. That article in Time Magazine was ridiculous. They actually made a
>    cartoon out of someone getting infected by a virus.

I'll go along with this one.
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

tsub@pnet02.cts.com (Tom Wang) (02/09/89)

I'm starting a term paper on computer viruses.  The varieties, how each affect
the computer system,  how they are made, etc.  I was looking for just a
general usenet newsgroup on computers, but found only computer/modems, etc.
So I thought I would post it here(since I have an Amiga).
Well,  any info would be great, just e-mail it.  Thanks in advance, I would
really appreciate it.

--
Tom

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!tsub
INET: tsub@pnet02.cts.com

martens@meter.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (02/10/89)

There's been an active discussion of viri (sp?) in misc.security

joe@vixen.uucp (Joe Hitchens) (10/18/89)

I recieved this in my mail.  I have no idea who this person is, or why he
sent it to me.  I thought perhaps someone could forward it to Steve Tibbett.

 > From utah-cs!cs.utexas.edu!computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk!cinglis@caeco.uucp Mon Oct 16 16:12:07 1989
 > From: utah-cs!cs.utexas.edu!computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk!cinglis@caeco.uucp
 > To: vixen!joe%cs.utexas.edu@uunet.UU.NET
 > Subject: Re: VirusX 3.2, VirusX 3.1
 > Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
 > Date: Mon, 16 Oct 89 17:50:54 GMT
 > Sender: utah-cs!cs.utexas.edu!computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk!cinglis@caeco.uucp
 >
 > Hey I think I should tell you a fact about viruses that nobody seems to
 > take into account. All the viruses I have written intercept the OS DoIO()
 > routine and feed the user a normal bootblock if one of my viruses is there.
 >
 > You would be surprised how few virus killers actually use the hardware
 > directly to check.

This would certainly defeat casual detection. I don't know if VirusX would
be fooled by this or not, I haven't examined the source.

j.h.

Joe Hitchens -- Artist, Sculptor, Animator of Sculpture, Iconographer Adept
joe@vixen  ...!uunet!iconsys!caeco!vixen!joe
joe@amie   ...!uunet!iconsys!caeco!i-core!amie!joe   Phone: (801) 292-2190