[comp.sys.amiga] Russian language text packages.

reh@rayssdb.ray.com (Robert E. Hathaway) (09/22/89)

Does anyone know of the availability of any Russian font/print packages
available for the A1000.  My sister-in-law has asked me to ask the net.

						Thank you,
							Bob Hathaway

Robert E. Hathaway;	 Raytheon Submarine Signal Division
Phone: (401) 847-8000  extension 4013
Internet:   reh@rayssd.ray.com
Uucp:       {decuac, gatech, necntc, sun, uiucdcs, ukma} !rayssd!reh

--

Robert E. Hathaway;	 Raytheon Submarine Signal Division
Phone: (401) 847-8000  extension 4013
Internet:   reh@rayssd.ray.com
Uucp:       {decuac, gatech, necntc, sun, uiucdcs, ukma} !rayssd!reh

TCampbell@cup.portal.com (Thomas W Campbell) (09/24/89)

I currently use ProWrite 2.01 and a Cyrillic font that I made to do my
Russian homework on.  Any word processor that supports fonts, such as
ProWrite, PenPal, Excellence!, etc should do what she needs.  Of course,
she won't be able to have her spelling checked, but all of the text
manipulation features will work fine.

I can email you the encoded binary of the font I use if you would like.

TCampbell@cup.portal.com
"Mjakix Znak - The Silent Killer"

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (09/24/89)

In article <2578@rayssdb.ray.com> reh@rayssdb.ray.com (Robert E. Hathaway) writes:
>Does anyone know of the availability of any Russian font/print packages
>available for the A1000.  My sister-in-law has asked me to ask the net.

There's a pd font set circulating out there on the BBS's called SLAVICFONT.ZOO
which contains several excellent Slavic/Russian fonts, running from 8 pt to
100+ pt.

I hope that helps - I have the file, but it's too large to post/send over the
Net.

--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "No matter how big a straw, you can't suck water up |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  more than 34 feet."                                |

ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) (09/24/89)

In article <4187@wpi.wpi.edu>, jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) writes:
> In article <2578@rayssdb.ray.com> reh@rayssdb.ray.com (Robert E. Hathaway) writes:
> >Does anyone know of the availability of any Russian font/print packages
> >available for the A1000.  My sister-in-law has asked me to ask the net.

> There's a pd font set circulating out there on the BBS's called SLAVICFONT.ZOO
> which contains several excellent Slavic/Russian fonts, running from 8 pt to
> 100+ pt.

That sounds familiar ;^).  For those interested, I put the "classic
edition" ;^) on Fish 202 (you'll be sure to get the associated
keymaps, etc..)
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Robin LaPasha               |Deep-Six your

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (09/25/89)

In article <1989Sep24.141959.3553@uncecs.edu> ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) writes:
>That sounds familiar ;^).  For those interested, I put the "classic
>edition" ;^) on Fish 202 (you'll be sure to get the associated
>keymaps, etc..)

Was slavicfont your work?  It's the best collection of Cyrillic fonts I've
seen for the Amiga...  I have a few small 8-12 pt fonts I've done, but nothing
to compare with this.  Does anyone out there know of a good font creator that
works well with fonts sizes over 40 point?
--

ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) (09/26/89)

In article <4203@wpi.wpi.edu>, jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) writes:

> Was slavicfont your work?  It's the best collection of Cyrillic fonts I've
> seen for the Amiga...  I have a few small 8-12 pt fonts I've done, but nothing
> to compare with this.  Does anyone out there know of a good font creator that
> works well with fonts sizes over 40 point?
> --

Thank you, thank you.  Yes, they're more or less my work, though
I started with some Mac fonts (converted with Rico Mariani's
converter, also in the Fish collection) after I got permissions
from the authors.  I was highly motivated, since I need them for
my Russian lit thesis, and the grad school here is persnickety
about fonts (absolutely NO jaggies, or their smoothed "wavy"
equivalents.)

Calligrapher is what I used to make them.  It works up to 160pts,
and is fine as long as you have memory for it (running it in less
than 1 meg has been done, but I can't vouch for effectiveness at
that level.)  I stuck mainly to B & W regular Cyrillic fonts
(including non-Russian Cyrillic in some of them,) but you can
easily get silly and with a command or two make the whole set
screaming neon shades of blue - it's the original program for
ColorFonts, due to receive support in 1.4 I believe.

As for where to use them, I use them in ProWrite, then crank
them through ProScript (turns the files into PostScript) then
onto my DeskJet with PixelScript (squirts PostScript files onto
a preferences printer.)  Anyway, a word of warning - someone
mentioned excellence! as a program that could handle multiple
fonts, but be aware that it CANNOT use the full KEYMAPS.  It
becomes an issue for Cyrillic, where you really do want those
alt key characters.  The support folks for excellence! were
not at all helpful, either - again, a major difference from
the courtesy and help I've gotten from New Horizons (makers
of ProWrite.)  I haven't used Pen Pal, though, so I don't know
how it does for fonts and keymaps.

Disclaimer: just a customer of these guys, and a font fanatic.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (09/26/89)

In article <1989Sep25.191456.25465@uncecs.edu> ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) writes:
>I started with some Mac fonts (converted with Rico Mariani's
>converter, also in the Fish collection) after I got permissions

I use the same program to convert fonts.  In fact, most of my fonts were
originally Mac fonts.  The converter DOES guru on me quite a bit, though.
About Excellence!:  has anyone noticed any problems with it handling extreme
numbers of fonts?  I have quite a few (about 100 separate styles), and noticed
that after a certain number of fonts (I believe 4 complete columns of fonts,
strange things start to happen (i.e. fonts on the right side of the selector
being impossible to select, etc.  My kingdom fofont-selection a-la-DPaint
III.)  I just wanted to let you know that your fonts have proved useful in
quite a few situations...
And I'll look for Calligrapher.

--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "No matter how big a straw, you can't suck water up |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  more than 34 feet."                                |
| jdutka@wpi.bitnet    |     -A WPI PROFESSOR WHO WISHES TO REMAIN ANONYMOUS |

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (10/18/89)

I am also interested in the Russian language on the Amiga.  A font would
suffice that I can use in Excellence!
--
+ Alan W. McKay       +                                               +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +