[comp.sys.amiga] Bug in WB 1.3.2 Format or Validate?

esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) (10/17/89)

There is a bug in WB 1.3.2.  I can't quite tell if it is in the Format command
or the disk validator.

Every so often, when I format a disk, the format operation runs to completeness
and the starts the validate.  At this point, the Amiga hangs completely.  Upon
reboot, the formatted disk validates without error and is perfectly fine.  This
doesn't always happen and I can't quite figure what forces it.  I believe it
is either when an old disk is already in the drive before the format is
started, or it is when a bad format disk is in the drive before format begins.
I kind of have a habit of popping a disk in the drive before running format
rather than wait for the prompt from the program.

Anyone else seen this that can point a finger at the proper bad guy?  Do you
know the circumstances that always forces the bug so it can be bypassed?  Is
anyone at C= listening that can report to the code writers?
--
---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  Modern Amish: Thou shalt not need any
                                         computer that is not IBM compatible.

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (10/18/89)

In article <4095@abaa.UUCP> esker@abaa.UUCP (Lawrence Esker) writes:
>There is a bug in WB 1.3.2.  I can't quite tell if it is in the Format command
>or the disk validator.
>
>Every so often, when I format a disk, the format operation runs to completeness
>and the starts the validate.  At this point, the Amiga hangs completely.  Upon
>reboot, the formatted disk validates without error and is perfectly fine.  This
>---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  Modern Amish: Thou shalt not need any
>UseNet Path: __!mailrus!sharkey!itivax!abaa!esker  ==  esker@abaa.UUCP

I had this happen to me the other night but didn't think to try to analyze
what had happened.  It didn't really dawn on me until now that this could
be the problem.  It happened only hours after I upgraded my boot disk to
1.3.2
--
+ Alan W. McKay       +                                               +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +