[comp.sys.amiga] Using Kermit

monsoor@csusac.csus.edu (Matt Monsoor) (10/18/89)

In article <15571@netnews.upenn.edu> strasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP ( Colin J. Strasser.) writes:
>In article <753@sys.uea.ac.uk> cmp8163@sys.uea.ac.uk (Peter Vlietstra (University of East Anglia, Norwich, England)) writes:
<lines deleted>
>Or any other Unix box, for that matter... I once had a version of Xmodem which
>I couldn't get to slow down to 2400 bps, so now I have to use Kermit -- easy,
>but _sloooowww_.
<more lines deleted>
>Speaking of using Kermit to download Amiga files, I have a question.  I use
>Diga! to connect to my LAN and then to my school's Vax.  To do this I must
>set Diga! to 7E1.  But from what I can figure, Kermit uses 8N1.  Hence, I
>can't transfer binaries right, since the high bit keeps getting stripped
>(even when I set Diga! to "Binary" mode).  So for now, I have to uuencode
>everything I download and then uudecode it on Amy.  Maybe I'm lazy, but this
>process sure is a pain in the neck.  Anybody know an easier way?  (I'm hoping
>that another protocol will let me up/download at 7E1 and thus eliminate the
>problem.)
<and more lines deleted>
>					-Colin
>
>Colin Strasser				University of Pennsylvania
>strasser@eniac.seas,upenn.edu		Moore Scool of Electrical Engineering

I have just started using VLT (on a Fred Fish disk near you) that has Kermit
support with extended-packest (1K)!  (I do have a problem with AREXX support
when I receive a bell it errors "AREXX script-can't find port" but it does
not cause me any problems just inconvenience.)

Remember to set (on most C-Kermits) "set file type binary" when transferring
any binary files.  Try typeing a "?" at the C-Kermit prompt for a list of
options!

Quick note:  I have both Xmodem and Zoo C source (Unix) and will try to
            mail them to you.  (never have tried before)  :-)

|    Matthew G. Monsoor    |    UUPC:     {ucdavis|lll-crg}!csusac!monsoor    |
|      (916) 278-6288      |    Internet:  monsoor@csusac.csus.edu            |