[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga-like PS/2 with MS-Windows multimedia software

The following is the text of an article by Gina Smith and Steven Burke, with
additional reporting by John Pallatto, published in the front page of the
October 2, 1989 isssue of PC Week:

IBM, MICROSOFT SET STAGE FOR STEREO, VIDEO PS/2

	IBM is developing a PS/2 with whiz-bang audio and video capabilities
that promises to be the foundation of its multimedia computing environment in
the 1990s.
	A multimedia-enhanced version of Microsoft Corp.'s Windows 3.0 is also
under development, according to sources close to the project.
	Tailored to the new PS/2, Microsoft's program will enable developers to
create sophisticated multimedia applications for markets such as education,
computer-based training, busines presentations, entertainment and adverstising,
sources said.
	Applications may include music videos, animation, talking flowcharts
and personnel files composed of videos and voice records of employees, sources
said. Moreover, developers will be able to design multimedia interfaces that
make existing applications such as databases and spreadsheets easier to use.
	IBM plans to release by next fall the as-yet-unnamed PS/2 model for
less than $4,000, according to sources.
	Early plans for the Micro Channel 386SX-based machine include a CD ROM
drive; a digital signal processor; Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI)
ports; stereo audio, microphone input and game ports; a music synthesizer; and
an internal modem, sources said.
	The multimedia version of Windows 3.0 will be preconfigured on the hard
disk with DOS 4.0, sources said.
	The Windows enhancements will include an extensive multimedia
application programming interface, programming tools and a Apple HyperCard-like
batch language, sources said.
	Microsoft is courting software developers with sample code to convince
them to develop for the multi-media environment, according to sources.
	Developing such applications will be easier than ever, the sources
explained, because of the dynamic link libraries (DDLs) that Microsoft is
providing in the multimedia extensions to Windows 3.0.
	Those DDLs include code for creating and editing static and animated
graphics; an audio-device interface library that allows users to play and
record complex sound tracks and synchronize them with video; search and
retrieve routines for CD ROM files; modem support; and a special-effect library
for graphics.
	Although officials at IBM headquarters in Armonk, N.Y., would give no
details about the machine, they have committed in the past to bring multimedia
technology to the mainstream PC market.
	Microsoft officials in Redmond, Wash., also declined to comment on
whether they are developing a special version of Windows for the multimedia
PS/2. However, they have in the past slated plans to extend both Windows and
Presentation Manager to run on multimedia hardware.
	"At the moment, the market belongs to Apple", said Richard Shaffer,
editor of the Technologic Computer Letter in New York. But, he said, "IBM
is big enough that it can come into the game late and still win".

[A picture accompanies the article, with the following headline:

	Windows Gets a Multimedia Library

New Dynamic Link Library Extensions include:

	Audio-Device Interface		Task Manager
	Animation Metafile		Rich Text
	Bitmap				Search
	Modem				Special Effects
	Resource Manager		Sprite
]

--- END OF QUOTE

My only comment is this: Do you think IBM and Microsoft looked at an Amiga? :-)
Dynamic libraries, MIDI, modem port, animation, special effects, audio ports
sprites, animation files: I seem to have seen those before :-) Maybe the
Amiga is becoming 'mainstream'.

Seriously: I truly hope 1.4 comes out SOON.

Food for thought, Amiga fans :-)

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland

In article <20405@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>IBM, MICROSOFT SET STAGE FOR STEREO, VIDEO PS/2

Gawd! not again. IBM 'steals' ideas from mainstream computers, calls it it's
own, and the press goes for it. Sheesh!

First they take the acronym 'PC' and make it so that whenever you hear the
word you have to mean 'IBM PC'. Then they come out with an 'Enhanced' keyboard
and make the press go ga-ga about how great it is, not one word was mentioned
that DEC had the same keyboard on their 'PCs' and VT terminals for a few years
before IBM. Now they are going to make a multi-media machine, so I guess it's
time for Amiga to hang up its hat and turn over the leadership to IBM. Cuz when
they do it, they will be known as the 'innovators' of this technology, even
though Amiga was there first.

But one good thing may come out of it:
Now that IBM will support graphics, sound, MIDI, game ports, etc, it will be
slightly harder for them to point at Amiga and cry "game machine". We can just
point back and say "Nyah! Look who's talkin'"

>    "At the moment, the market belongs to Apple", said Richard Shaffer,

Apple????? just where do they come off with that? How many TV shows use Apples?
How many music videos have Apples in them :-). If you look at the visibility of
the two, it seems to me that Amiga has a much higher profile outside of the
standard computer industry. Amiga has inroads in the music business, hollywood,
and a lot of scientific and university applications.

>editor of the Technologic Computer Letter in New York. But, he said, "IBM
>is big enough that it can come into the game late and still win".

Translation: IBM is *BIG*. They can swipe technology/terminology any time they
want and make it theirs.

Blech!

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

king@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (10/12/89)

In article <20405@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
> [...]
>My only comment is this: Do you think IBM and Microsoft looked at an Amiga? :-)
>Dynamic libraries, MIDI, modem port, animation, special effects, audio ports
>sprites, animation files: I seem to have seen those before :-) Maybe the
>Amiga is becoming 'mainstream'.

At the recent audio-video show here in Toronto, two computers were featured
extensively: the Mac II and the Amiga. There is a pro-video editing package
for the MacII that plays realtime video in a window from the hard disc.
Fabulous. While there are many terrific packages for the Amiga, nothing
seems to come even close to what this MacII was able to do <sigh>.
Perhaps we are in the process of being scooped.

>Seriously: I truly hope 1.4 comes out SOON.

I would rather see an Amiga 3000 that supported HDTV, 32 bit DMA, etc.
BTW, I saw the Sony HDTV display - WOW. Looks more like film than video. I
also saw NEC's HDTV, and guess what? - they got their source video from a
Sony videodisc!! The Sony rep told me that many production houses are using
HDTV for mastering their stuff, then converting it to NTSC for
distribution. SMPTE has adopted the Sony HDTV standard (or, one of them as
the case may be), so come on Commodore, look at what's going on and get
with it! Don't let MicroSoft heap another shitty defacto standard onto us!

Thanks. (soapbox mode off)

--
                       Se non e` vero, e` ben trovato
     ...{utzoo|mnetor}!dciem!dretor!king        king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca

In article <2571@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) writes:
->In article <20405@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
->> [...]
->
->Fabulous. While there are many terrific packages for the Amiga, nothing
->seems to come even close to what this MacII was able to do <sigh>.

I suggest that you check the price tags on the two systems.
I would bet that the Apple setup costs more than twice the amiga setup
does.

->
->>Seriously: I truly hope 1.4 comes out SOON.
->
->I would rather see an Amiga 3000 that supported HDTV, 32 bit DMA, etc.
(CBM could make this happen, but then I doubt you could afford an A3000
if they did. I sure couldn't. Heck, I'd be happy if I could have some
expansion memory, and ecstatic with a hard drive too!)

This is tough since there really isn't an HDTV standard yet.
There are lots of proposals, but I have not heard of
any kind of consensus yet. I could easily be wrong.
 Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu

tra@avsd.UUCP (Ted Asocks) (10/13/89)

In article <2571@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) writes:

>I would rather see an Amiga 3000 that supported HDTV, 32 bit DMA, etc.

         stuff deleted

>the case may be), so come on Commodore, look at what's going on and get
>with it!

         more stuff deleted

>     ...{utzoo|mnetor}!dciem!dretor!king        king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca

Please let's be realistic about HDTV and the Amiga 3000, I for one would
like to afford a 3000. By doing some rough calculations using some SMPTE
information on production HDTV standard:

		Sampling rate: 74.25 Mhz
		Active pixels: 1920 x 1035
		Bits per pixel: 24

Using the above specifications the memory required to store one frame of
HDTV would be over 5.96 megabytes, one field would be half of that (HDTV
is 2:1 interlaced). That might make animations a little tough :-). Then
add the special HDTV monitor with a 16:9 aspect ratio (the wider aspect
ratio is responsible for much of the impact of HDTV) which cost about
$6000 at the low end, you have got yourself an expensive system.

I did see a HDTV framestore for the Mac at NAB in April, the price with
12 megs of memory as of June 2, 1989 was $45,000. It should be available
early 1990. The manufacturer is Rebo Research, NY, NY. It may be a little
cheaper now that the price of memory is going down :-).

All the above does not take into account the inevitable data compression
that will be used with HDTV, that will reduce memory requirements, but
it still will be expensive. I haven't mentioned the bus bandwidth required
to update the screen yet... but I think I've made my point.

--
---------------------------  UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs,octopus}!avsd!S!tra
|	Ted Asocks	  |  POST: AMPEX Corp, Redwood City, CA 94063
---------------------------  PHONE: (415) 367-2853
	My views and opinions do not represent those of my company

tdesjardins@spurge.waterloo.edu (Tim Desjardins) (10/13/89)

In article <4962@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
>->... seems to come even close to what this MacII was able to do <sigh>.
>
>I suggest that you check the price tags on the two systems.
>I would bet that the Apple setup costs more than twice the amiga setup
>does.
Unfortunately big schools and business don't care that much about price as they
do about functionality. So Apple could sell all kinds of big price tag systems
and create a standard and small business and the consumer would be left in the
cold with no Apple and no multimedia hardware or software.
>This is tough since there really isn't an HDTV standard yet.
> Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu
You're right, there is no North American HDTV standard yet, the FCC has
demanded that regular TV's be able to receive HDTV broadcasts ( obviously the
signal has a subcarrier or something for the regular TV signal or vice versa ).
One last disclaimer I'm not saying that regular TV's will be able to display
HDTV quality pictures, but that a broadcast of a program should be viewable on
both HDTV's and regular TV's, in thier own resoltions respectively.

Have a nice day.
Tim Desjardins.
tdesjardins@spurge.waterloo.{edu|cdn}

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (10/19/89)

As I said to a friend the other day ...

it would be a shame for Apple to take away a market that Commodore created.

(and now IBM ... sheesh ...)
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET