[comp.sys.amiga] Long persistance vs. flickerFixer

blaine@worsel.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (10/19/89)

In article <210@egrunix.UUCP> cogswell@egrunix.UUCP (Dan Cogswell) writes:
> In article <KIM.89Oct17174610@watsup.waterloo.edu> kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (T. Ki> m Nguyen) writes:
> >Dumb question follows:  why not use a high-persistence phosphor
> >monitor like the 2080 instead of coughing up $300 for a flicker fixer?
                                                 ^^^

$450 (US) is the cheapest I've ever seen MicroWay's flickerFixer. Plus the
cost of a multisync monitor if you don't already have one.

> >What's the diff?
>
> I don't own a flicker fixer, but I have owned a monitor with a high
> persistence phospher.

I do have both, so I can give you a side-by-side comparison.

> The main drawback of a HP phospher is it can leave "ghosting" when doing
> animation.  This is because the phospher don't fade quickly enough.

Very true, but the flickerFixer has it's own problems with fast moving
objects. There is some horizontal breakup in images moving sideways. This
was beaten to death 6-12 months ago on the net, but it's due to two images
that would normally be displaced in both time and screen position being
displayed at the same time.

If you've got a cube moving sideways fairly quickly, this crude picture
might help get the point across.

This:                    Looks like this:
--------                 --------
--------                   --------
--------                 --------
--------                   --------
--------                 --------
--------                   --------

The effect varies from unnoticable in "normal" use, to impossbile to look
at in some games. I've got a DB-9 switchbox connected to the Amiga and
flickerFixer video outputs so I can go back to unfixed flicker (or more
likely, 200 line mode) if I'm playing games.

> From my own experiences, I've found these type of monitors to be very
> "touchy", going out of focus often, but this may not have anything to do with
> the picture tube (hey--I ain't a hardware guy...:).

Nope, nothing to do with the phosphor at all. You just had a monitor with bad
focus.

> Another advantage of the flickerFixer is it's ability to "fill-in" those ugly
> black lines on a non-interlace screen.

Yes, this can really look nice. Though in a few lo-res (200 line) pictures,
it can give a "blocky" effect to the picture. This seems most noticable if
the artist tried to take advantage of the black scanline gaps to "smooth"
the picture. That's not a very good description, but it's hard to explain
if you haven't seen it. It's not a big deal, but I did notice it.

The long persistance monitor I've got is a VERY long persistance. When my
screen blanker cuts in, the WorkBench screen takes 4-5 seconds to fade from
view. Even with this LONG persistance, there is still some flicker visible
in high contrast images. (High contrast being B&W for example.) Amax does
show some flicker on this monitor. On the other hand, playing a fast moving
game like Vyper takes on a whole new dimension. Not only do you see where
everything is, but where it's been in the last 5 seconds!

With the flickerFixer there is simply ZERO flicker, even Amax looks good in
640x400 mode. But with Vyper, all the ships on the screen look a bit
"fuzzy". (Imagine a spaceship displaced like the cube above.)

It's really something you have to see for yourself. Flicker is highly
subjective. What bothers me, other people cannot see, and vice versa. You
have to see it yourself to decide how well it works.

For some really sick laughs, run LPEM (the Long Persistance phospor
EMulator display hack) on a long persistance monitor! Note that any eye or
brain damage resulting from this stunt is your own fault. :-)

--
Blaine Gardner @ worsel         UUCP: uunet!iconsys!caeco!i-core!worsel!blaine
                                            utah-cs!caeco!i-core!worsel!blaine