[comp.sys.amiga] 2 completely unrelated questions....

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (10/11/89)

1. How good is B.A.D., the disk optimizer?  I'm really getting  sick  of
   my 5 min. startup.  Is this program safe?

2. I'd  love to see those  Amiga ads.  Does anyone have a good idea when
   they're shown?
--
Fight |     //             Julius A. Cisek   jac423,jules      |Don't
Like a|   \X/ ->crunch<-   SUNYA, NY USA     @leah.albany.edu  | Be a

bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) (10/16/89)

Well, I have used BAD succesfully and the result is a good speedup
BUT (a major but) If the program crashes at any point during
execution, the disk you're trying to optimize is toasted.  This
happened to me twice in a row on a 20meg harddrive and I almost
put the BAD disk in the food-processor and mailed it back to
the company.  That's my opinion and I think a number of people
would agree with me.

                                - Bear

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (10/19/89)

In Message <40536@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, bear@bu-pub.bu.edu writes:

>Well, I have used BAD succesfully and the result is a good speedup
>BUT (a major but) If the program crashes at any point during
>execution, the disk you're trying to optimize is toasted.  This

  I think BAD (and perhaps Amiga utility programmers in general) should take
  a look at the MS-Dos (I know - boo... hiss...) world's utility called
  "Speed Disk" from Norton Utilities. It can be stopped at anytime or even
  have the cpu reset with no ill effects. The operating system sucks
  (MS-Dos that is) but their utilities are great!

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS