[comp.sys.amiga] A500 Internal Drives

stephen@hpdml93.HP.COM (Stephen Holmstead) (10/16/89)

[ line eater junk food ]

My brother recently purchased an Amiga 500 (on my recommendation).  But
shortly after getting it, the internal disk failed.  When he took it to
the shop, they said that they would have to get a new drive from
Commodore, themselves.  THAT WAS 2 MONTHS AGO!!!  They say that they are
still waiting on Commodore.  Now I know that production could *NOT* be
that overloaded (especially with this big advertizing push coming up).

What is the problem, Commodore?  Is there realy a problem getting
internal drives, or is this local dealer just blowing smoke?  The dealer
said that they have had to wait as long as 6 months before for a similar
part!!!  This is well beyond what I would call *reasonable*.

Don't get me wrong--I am not trying to flame.  I just want my brother to
get his machine back from the shop.  His impression of the Amiga is
deteriorating daily.  I have not had any problems with my Amiga (and
I guess that it's a good thing I haven't had problems!).

What are some of the other possibilities?  Couldn't the shop just put in
an Amiga 2000 internal drive?  Doesn't Commodore second-source the
drives (I am assuming they OEM them from Panasonic or someone)?  Is my
brother going to have his machine back before Christmas?  Is anybody
reading this?  Help?

Stephen Holmstead
...!hplabs!hpdmlge!stephen                      //
Hewlett Packard Disk Memory Division          \X/  Amiga Forever!

"I remind you that humans are only a tiny minority in this galaxy."
	-- Spock, "The Apple," stardate 3715.6.

kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (T. Kim Nguyen) (10/18/89)

In article <380044@hpdml93.HP.COM> stephen@hpdml93.HP.COM (Stephen Holmstead) writes:

   My brother recently purchased an Amiga 500 (on my recommendation).  But
   shortly after getting it, the internal disk failed.  When he took it to
   the shop, they said that they would have to get a new drive from
   Commodore, themselves.  THAT WAS 2 MONTHS AGO!!!

I experienced similar problems last Xmas when I got my A500.  The
drive was giving R/W errors and it would sound like it was grinding
the disk.  I was afraid that I'd have to wait ages for a fix, but the
store I purchased the machine from agreed to replace the ENTIRE
machine.  Not standard practice, but very helpful.  I had to courier
my machine to Montreal and pre-pay the return of the replacement
machine, but it was worth the hassle.
--
T. Kim Nguyen 				  kim@watsup.waterloo.{edu|cdn}
					        kim@watsup.uwaterloo.ca

bakerj@mothra.UUCP (Jon Baker) (10/20/89)

In article <380044@hpdml93.HP.COM>, stephen@hpdml93.HP.COM (Stephen Holmstead) writes:
> My brother recently purchased an Amiga 500 (on my recommendation).  But
> shortly after getting it, the internal disk failed.  When he took it to
> the shop, they said that they would have to get a new drive from
> Commodore, themselves.  THAT WAS 2 MONTHS AGO!!!  They say that they are

The internal 3.5 drive on my A500 was bad out of the box also.  Apparently
Commodore had neglected to insert a protective piece of plastic/cardboard
in the drive, so it was damaged in shipping.  Since it was bad off-the-shelf,
the retailer was obliged (by state law) to refund or exchange immediately.
(This 'implicit warranty' extends for one week after purchase.)
He only had one more A500 in stock, and that was earmarked for someone else.
I told him that was his problem, and walked home with it.  No problems since.
You might want to check your local laws on merchandise that is defective when
purchased, or goes bad very soon therafter...
J.Baker.