[comp.sys.amiga] Amax troubles, monitors, 400K drives

mueller@alphard.cs.utk.edu (Carl Mueller) (10/18/89)

As you notice, I'm trying to kill a few birds here with 1 stone.
Background:  I've got an Amiga 500 with 1Meg & a generic external drive.

First Item:

    I've got an Amax, 128K Mac Roms, and a generic Mac 800K ext. disk drive.
I can get to the Mac startup screen without any problems, but when I put a
Mac system disk in the Mac drive, nothing happens.  The drive does spin for
half a second, but nothing else.  The question mark continues to flash.
    If I put a mini-transfer disk with system & finder in the Amiga drive,
the computer gives me the X-disk icon (telling me that it can't boot that
disk) and gives the eject signal.
    If I put an Amiga-format system disk in the Amiga drive, it will boot,
but the Mac drive still plays dead, and if I put a mini-transfer disk in the
Amiga drive, all I get is the eject signal (NOT typical Mac behavior).
    The Amax manual says it could be bad 8520s, so I switched the two in the
500, but nothing changed.  I guess they could both be bad, but everything
else works fine.  The Mac drive works fine on any Mac, so I'm fairly sure
it's not at fault.

    Any clues, anyone?

Second Item:

    I'm looking for a good multiscan monitor that works well with the Amiga
in all its present and future modes.  I've tried a Packard Bell, and while it
worked fine in non-interlace mode, it's interlace picture was fairly bad.  The
lines were not spaced properly, and the flicker seemed worse than average.  I
have heard positive comments about the Mitsubishi Diamondscan and Sony 1302?,
but do they work well in interlace mode?

Third Item:

    I've noticed that some of you are trying to use Mac 400K drives with that
Mac drive interface.  I don't think that it works because the 400K drive
requires a timing signal from the computer to set the proper drive speed.
The 800K drives don't require this signal.  If the device was made for 800K
drives (likely), then it probably doesn't support 400K drives.

Finally:

    (Thanx 1e6) to anyone who can answer my questions.

-Carl Mueller  (cmueller@utkux1.utk.edu or see above)
               (cmueller@utkvx1.bitnet)
-Yes, this is my first posting, so I don't have a creative banner yet.

addison@pollux.usc.edu (Richard Addison) (10/19/89)

In article <1191@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu> mueller@alphard.cs.utk.edu (Carl Mueller) writes:
>    I'm looking for a good multiscan monitor that works well with the Amiga
>in all its present and future modes.  I've tried a Packard Bell, and while it
>worked fine in non-interlace mode, it's interlace picture was fairly bad.  The
>lines were not spaced properly, and the flicker seemed worse than average.  I
>have heard positive comments about the Mitsubishi Diamondscan and Sony 1302?,
>but do they work well in interlace mode?

I've seen a number of references to people curious about the Diamondscan
lately, so I'm posting this.

The Diamondscan works quite well with the interlaced video modes.  In fact,
I never use non-interlaced modes.  The other day I even tried PAL mode (Super
Agnes) and it worked.  Actually, the composite monitor that I use as a TV
gave me a viewable picture from the black&white composite output from my 2000
in PAL mode--it just took a tweak on the vertical hold.

Richard Addison
"It all depends on which 'U' you use."

tjf@alpha.lanl.gov (Tom J Farish) (10/19/89)

Hi...I had the same problem 'gettin a system disk to
boot until I replaced the drive with an amigatosh
drive.  Then all was OK with AMAX except
print ing from WORD 4.0.  Once again, any help
from the net on getting a 24 pin driver for use
with AMAX?

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (10/20/89)

carl> Third Item:

carl>     I've noticed that some of you are trying to use Mac 400K drives with that
carl> Mac drive interface.  I don't think that it works because the 400K drive
carl> requires a timing signal from the computer to set the proper drive speed.
carl> The 800K drives don't require this signal.  If the device was made for 800K
carl> drives (likely), then it probably doesn't support 400K drives.

The packaging and documentation for Mac-2-Dos claim that it is
compatible with Mac 400K drives, so I don't think your claim is true.

After my initial posting a few days ago about my troubles using a 400K
Mac drive with Mac-2-Dos, I got the following email message:

uzun> Date: Tue, 17 Oct 89 06:50:32 PDT
uzun> From: mars.esd.sgi.com!sgi.sgi.com!ames.arc.nasa.gov!ucsd!pnet01.cts.com!uzun (Roger Uzun)
uzun> To: crash!tweezers.esd.sgi.com!portuesi
uzun> Subject: Re: Mac-2-Dos

uzun> The latest mac-2-dos is vesion 1.1a  Version 1.0 is nonfunctional
uzun> (this comes straight from Central Coast software).  That was the
uzun> root of all my mac-2-dos problems.  Call them for a free upgrade.
uzun> -Roger

uzun> UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
uzun> ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
uzun> INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

I called Central Coast Software, and they are shipping me a copy of
1.1b (even newer than the 1.1a mentioned above).  Even with
"nonfunctional" version 1.0, I was able to read 400K disks created on
a Macintosh with my 400K drive.

			--M

--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.