[comp.sys.amiga] Ameristar Availability?

amercer@eve.wright.edu (Art Mercer) (10/18/89)

One of my staff just talked with Ameristar, they say that they are no longer
taking orders for their Ethernet board and software.  Unwilling to give
details they said that the product will be available from another vendor soon.

What gives?

Art Mercer
Assoc. Dir. Academic Computing Resources
Wright State University
Dayton, OH
BITNET:  amercer@wsu.bitnet

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (10/19/89)

In article <757@thor.wright.EDU> amercer@eve.UUCP (Art Mercer) writes:
|One of my staff just talked with Ameristar, they say that they are no longer
|taking orders for their Ethernet board and software.  Unwilling to give
|details they said that the product will be available from another vendor soon.
|
|What gives?

	The other vendor is Commodore.

--
  ....	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \**/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (10/20/89)

In article <957@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>In article <757@thor.wright.EDU> amercer@eve.UUCP (Art Mercer) writes:
>|One of my staff just talked with Ameristar, they say that they are no longer
[...]
>	The other vendor is Commodore.

Is this for real?

If so what happened to the server mode capabilities that Ameristar was
working on? I was hoping that it would be available about now. :^(

Is Commodore buying the technology and software, or just marketing it
for Ameristar? What about sockets, etc. support? Available under
AmigaDos?

Will the board be accessible from Amix (Server mode also)?

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

ag@cbmvax.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) (10/20/89)

In article <22480@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk)
writes:
>Will the [Amerstar] board be accessible from Amix?

I was the one who wrote the driver for the Amerstar EtherNet board
under Amix.  It will be available and is working fine.  I am using it
right now to connect from my Amix box to cbmvax (to read news).

Pax, Keith

Ps, I can't answer your other questions.  They are either CBM internal
stuff or for AmigaDOS.
--
 "It took no computation to dance to the rock 'n roll station" -- VU
  ag@cbmvax.commodore.com     Keith M. Gabryelski      ...!uunet!cbmvax!ag

amercer@thor.wright.edu (Art Mercer) (10/21/89)

From article <22480@swrinde.nde.swri.edu>, by kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk):
> [...]
>>	The other vendor is Commodore.
>
> Is this for real?
>
> [.....]
> Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
>         Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

Yeah, a real shocker yuh?  Several others sent mail on this one, all
saying that CBM bought Ameristar.  BTW: the local Commodore rep and
Ameristar (like Sgt Schultz) won't comment on the buyout.

It is a bit frustrating, after getting the Amiga somewhat accepted here;
I can't get the need hardware.  The two units we have work very well.

I know that for some time Ameristar would not sell to vendors, but seem
to recall that Dale Luck was offering them as a package with X11.  Can
anyone respond?  I need a source for the board now, not in some future
time when they re-surface.

Art Mercer
Assoc. Dir. Academic Computing Resources.
Wright State University.
Dayton, OH
BITNET: amercer@wsu.bitnet
PHONE: (513)-873-4038