[comp.sys.amiga] A1000 problem and A2000 problem

stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) (10/20/89)

I have two different problems on two Amigas:

On my home A1000, my system sometimes hangs during the disk validation
process.  Most often this happens when I put in a different disk
in a drive (either DF0: or DF1:).  Sometimes this happens during
the validation at the end of the LOADWB process.  The problem is
quite intermittent...I will go for weeks without seeing it, then
it may happen every day for a week.  Sometimes only the drive will
"hang," with the drive light on and the motor running, while the
rest of the system continues to operate (A GURU is always imminent
after one or two more operations, however).

My system contains a A1000 with a 2Mbyte Starboard expansion,
one external drive, printer, and modem.  I have installed and use
ARP1.3 (this problem existed before I installed ARP), ARexx, and
RSLClock, all of which load during the boot sequence.

Problem 2:

Our work A2000 has developed a strange quirk.  It will fail to boot
if the Hayes modem attached to the serial port is powered up.  The
BINDDRIVERS program will hang immediately after the first hard disk
access.  The hard drive access light remains off but the internal drive
(df0:) light stays lit.  This problem developed recently, appearently
after WB1.3.2 was installed.  When I get a little time, I am going
to try to restore the original WB1.3 and see if the problem dissapears.
ARP1.3 is on the hard drive, but the WB1.3.2 commands are assigned
to the C: device and are the only ones used.  In every case, if the
modem is powered down, the boot sequence will proceed sucessfully.

Replys via either the News or mail are welcome.  The second problem is
more of a minor annoyance;  the first problem has caused a great deal
of grief and lost work.  Any ideas for the resolution of these problems
will be appreciated.

Stephen E. Masters
ENSCO, Inc.
Melbourne, FL   32935

stevem@hal.CSS.GOV

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (10/21/89)

In article <186@hal.CSS.GOV> stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) writes:

> Problem 2:
>
> Our work A2000 has developed a strange quirk.  It will fail to boot
> if the Hayes modem attached to the serial port is powered up.  The
> BINDDRIVERS program will hang immediately after the first hard disk
> access.  The hard drive access light remains off but the internal drive
> (df0:) light stays lit.  This problem developed recently, appearently
> after WB1.3.2 was installed.  When I get a little time, I am going
> to try to restore the original WB1.3 and see if the problem dissapears.
> ARP1.3 is on the hard drive, but the WB1.3.2 commands are assigned
> to the C: device and are the only ones used.  In every case, if the
> modem is powered down, the boot sequence will proceed sucessfully.

I had this same problem.  I noticed it when I got my GVP 2000/2 and
1.3 (1.2 kickstart... still) but it might not relate to that.
Everytime I mention it to someone they look at me as if I'm insane or
something.  I guess that looks like this:    >:-|   or maybe   <:-?
I guess I should ask that on comp.sys.smilie :-)

That was with a modem (VolksModem 1200) that didn't hangup if you
rebooted.  Now I'm on a digital BPX and my connection to the modem
pool disconnects if the computer isn't on.  (which sucks... bad design
decision IMHO).

--
Drew University   -- Tom Limoncelli
C M Box 1060      -- limonce@pilot.njin.net   limonce@pilot.rutgers.edu