[comp.sys.amiga] ASDG Scanner

micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) (10/12/89)

I've got a few questions about the ASDG Scanner:

1. Resolution?
2. How does it scan colors? Several passes?
3. Scan size?
4. Number of colours?
5. Price?
6. Other comments?
7. Is it available in Europe?
8. Could somebody send me some demo pictures?

Does there exist any alternatives?

Thanks in advance,
/Mikael

PS. Snap will be ready any day now. Snap will be available on
comp.(sources|binaries).amiga, alt.sources.amiga, Fish disks
and CompuServe.

Mikael Karlsson, Lovsattersvagen 10, S-585 98  LINKOPING, SWEDEN
micke@slaka.UUCP, micke@slaka.sirius.se
{mcvax,munnari,seismo}!enea!liuida!slaka!micke
C86.M-KARLSSON@LINUS.liu.se

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (10/13/89)

In article <3028.AA3028@slaka.sirius.se> micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:

> I've got a few questions about the ASDG Scanner:

ASDG doesn't make a scanner, but they do make an interface to the
Sharp scanner(s) and provide software for the Amiga that gives you
finer control than maybe any other product for any machine.

> 1. Resolution?

The scanner that is popular (from what I'm told) gives 24-bits of
color per pixel at 300dpi.  The resolution and # of colors is
adjustable.  At full resolution it's about (I think) 22meg for an
8.5x11 sheet.  Of course, most scans are of a smaller object for
inclusion into some other document, etc.

> 2. How does it scan colors? Several passes?

One pass.  No knobs, etc but an on-off switch.  The software does
EVERYTHING for you.  Pretty sharp (sorry about the pun).

> 3. Scan size?

It's a full bed.  8.5"x11".  Like a copier, you put the source on a
bed and it does everything.  No messing with lighting, etc.

> 4. Number of colours?

24-bits per pixel.

> 5. Price?

I think $18,000.  Check with your dealers or write to ASDG.

> 6. Other comments?

I've seen demos and I was completely blown away.  (Is that good enough?)

> 7. Is it available in Europe?
> 8. Could somebody send me some demo pictures?

Don't know.

> Does there exist any alternatives?

Well, that's a completely professional package so you pay for it...
but you get VERY professional results.  There are certainly home- and
not-so-pro packages.  It all depends.  I know at least one magazine
uses an Amiga system to do the entire magazine.  They use (can't
remember) some DTP software, and any photo or advert gets scanned and
included.  100% desktop based publishing.  They generate postscript
files, do color separation, etc all on the Amiga and send it to a
printer that makes plate right from the postscript files.

> Thanks in advance,
> /Mikael

Sure.  I'm not a ASDG or Sharp representative, but I have been very
impressed by demos and I've seen real businesses do real work with the
products.  Of course, it's high-end and that means it might not be
what you're looking for.

-Tom
--
Drew University   -- Tom Limoncelli
C M Box 1060      -- limonce@pilot.njin.net

aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (10/15/89)

In article <Oct.12.23.38.52.1989.16153@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
>> 5. Price?
>I think $18,000.  Check with your dealers or write to ASDG.

Ouch. The current list price for the JX-300 which you're talking about is
$3995, and our Professional ScanLab is $995. It's still outside of most
people's hobbyist budgets, but hardly 18 grand.

>> 6. Other comments?
>I've seen demos and I was completely blown away.  (Is that good enough?)

Thanks, Tom. Can we hire you to do sales? ;-)

Also, regarding price, be on the lookout for that $995 color scanner coming
soon to a dealer near you. It's producing some of the best Amiga images ever.

- Aaron

--
Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."
                                                             -- Robin Williams

rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) (10/16/89)

In article <Oct.12.23.38.52.1989.16153@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
>In article <3028.AA3028@slaka.sirius.se> micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:
>> 5. Price?
>
>I think $18,000.  Check with your dealers or write to ASDG.

Actually, from the prices I've seen, its around $8000 (including the interface
board, software, and the color scanner).

--
"We may have come over here in different ships,
 but we're all in the same boat now."   --   Jesse Jackson

Rodney Ricks,   Morehouse Software Group

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (10/17/89)

In article <32299@auc.UUCP> rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) writes:
-In article <Oct.12.23.38.52.1989.16153@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
->In article <3028.AA3028@slaka.sirius.se> micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:
->> 5. Price?
->
->I think $18,000.  Check with your dealers or write to ASDG.
-
-Actually, from the prices I've seen, its around $8000 (including the interface
-board, software, and the color scanner).
-
Maybe it's both? The interface is compatible with two different
scanners from Sharp, and they have prices wide apart.

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (10/18/89)

In article <3028.AA3028@slaka.sirius.se> micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:
>I've got a few questions about the ASDG Scanner:
>1. Resolution?
>2. How does it scan colors? Several passes?
>3. Scan size?
>4. Number of colours?
>5. Price?
>6. Other comments?
>7. Is it available in Europe?
>8. Could somebody send me some demo pictures?
>
>Does there exist any alternatives?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>/Mikael

Tom Limoncelli ably answered many of your questions...here's some additional
information:

1. Resolution

Keep in mind that 300 DPI at 24 bits-per-pixel is more than enough resolution
to drive a 2540 DPI phototypesetter. In fact, it's much more than enough.

3. Scan size

The JX-450 color scanner is an 11 by 17 inch flat bed. The JX-300 is an
8.5 by 11 inch flat bed.

4. Number of colors

Both devices deliver 16.7 million colors. Our software manipulates the data
at its full precision. A program called RESEP allows Professional Page to use
16.7 million color separations.

5. Price

JX-450 is $6995. The JX-300 is $3995. Our interface and software is $995.
RESEP is $60.

6. European availability.

Yes. Contact ASDG UK at 923 817548 in the U.K., Contact Compustore
at 69 567399 in W. Germany.

Alternatives?

Not really.

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

bernie.hellreich@canremote.uucp (BERNIE HELLREICH) (10/21/89)

I have one of the ASDG Multi-serial boards (2 ports) running in my amiga
2500.  I've heard some rumors of two varieties of this multi-serial
board, something to do with a faster crystal speed or something.  Are
these rumors or reality?
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R