[comp.sys.amiga] dmouse

SLMYQ@USU.BITNET (05/23/88)

Well, I wasn't going to post this idea because Matt said "this is the final
version" for 1.03 (?), but since 1.06 just got posted, I thought I might
as well. :)

Have a third format for DMouse.  If you type DMOUSE BLANK, the screen
(and pointer) blanks IMMEDIATELY.  That way you save 5 minutes worth of
phosphor every time you leave the computer. :)

Yes, I know lots of people don't think this is useful AT ALL, but I think
so, or else I wouldn't be posting this message!

                                Bryan Ford (SLMYQ@USU.BITNET)

juan@gatech.edu (Juan M. Orlandini) (05/23/88)

In article <8805222242.AA03142@jade.berkeley.edu>, SLMYQ@USU.BITNET writes:
> Have a third format for DMouse.  If you type DMOUSE BLANK, the screen
> (and pointer) blanks IMMEDIATELY.  That way you save 5 minutes worth of

or better yet, how about a hot key combination that does the same thing?

better, nie?

        //     _______                   //      "Honesty is the best policy
       //         |       __            //       but, insanity is a better
    \\//          | |  | |__| |\ |   \\//        defense."
     \/        |__| |__| |  | | \|    \/

School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
uucp:	...!{decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,rutgers}!gatech!juan
Internet: juan@gatech.edu            BIX: juan

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (05/25/88)

In article <8805222242.AA03142@jade.berkeley.edu> SLMYQ@USU.BITNET writes:
>Have a third format for DMouse.  If you type DMOUSE BLANK, the screen
>(and pointer) blanks IMMEDIATELY.  That way you save 5 minutes worth of
>phosphor every time you leave the computer. :)

You can fake this easily enough.  Write an execute script or shell alias
or something that calls "dmouse -s1" and one that calls "dmouse -s300"
or whatever time you normally use.  Dmouse lets you change parameters
like that on the fly, so all you'd be doing is telling it to change the
blanking time to 1 second, then changing it back.

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

>>...not anywhere near as elegant as HeliosMouse or Dmouse.
>
>  Yeah, well DMouse ain't perfect either - when a text requester comes up,
>and the mouse doesn't happen to be over it, the cursor in the requester goes
>away and I have to move the mouse up and click on it. Sometimes. (2/3 of the
>time? I haven't kept track, just got pissed off.) Why does it do this? How
>do I make it stop? AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!
>--
>Dave Lewis      Loral Instrumentation      San Diego    (619) 282-3341

	If someone can suggest a clean way to do it (I don't have time to
do everything).  If not, there are two possibilities:

	(1) Disable auto-activate completely (-A0)
	(2) Disable keyboard-auto-activate but keep mouse-move-auto-activate
	    one (-A2)

	Since any feature can be turned on/off at will, you still get
the benefit of those other features which work for you.  I have this
requester problem too (everybody does).  For now, I keep a-a on (-A3) and
move the mouse onto the requester... inconvenient.

					-Matt

ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie (Eddy Carroll) (09/22/88)

In article <8809200700.AA27611@cory.Berkeley.EDU>, dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU
(Matt Dillon) writes:
>>>...not anywhere near as elegant as HeliosMouse or Dmouse.
>>
>>  Yeah, well DMouse ain't perfect either - when a text requester comes up,
>>and the mouse doesn't happen to be over it, the cursor in the requester goes
>>away and I have to move the mouse up and click on it. Sometimes. (2/3 of the
>>time? I haven't kept track, just got pissed off.) Why does it do this? How
>>do I make it stop? AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!
>>--
>>Dave Lewis      Loral Instrumentation      San Diego    (619) 282-3341
>
> 	If someone can suggest a clean way to do it (I don't have time to
> do everything).

How about SetFunctioning Intuition's Request() function and making it
check to see if the requester being opened contains a string gadget which is
initially selected; if it does, then position the mouse pointer over the
cursor in the string gadget when it opens. Hey presto, no more problems with
having to move the mouse pointer whenever one of those File requesters
pops up. Of course, moving the mouse pointer behind the users back is
not really very friendly, but the extra convenience gained would
probably be worth it in this case (particularly if you arranged it so
that the mouse pointer didn't re-appear if it was blanked - the user
probably wouldn't even notice the mouse had moved).

Another small change that would be nice: Left-Right clicking a window
when it is the only window on a screen, or when it is a backdrop window,
sends the screen to the back (this is great). However, doing this to
a normal window which is on the same screen as a backdrop window (e.g.
workbench) doesn't have any effect (unless there are other normal windows
on the same screen). How about making this latter case also send the screen
to the back?

Oh well, just a few thoughts. I have DMOUSE1.09 on all my disks anyway, and
I love it.

--
Eddy Carroll               ----* Genuine MUD Wizard     | "You haven't lived
INTER: mcvax!ukc!cs.tcd.ie!csvax1!ecarroll@uunet.uu.net |  until you've died

Eddy Carroll writes:
>check to see if the requester being opened contains a string gadget which is
>initially selected; if it does, then position the mouse pointer over the
>cursor in the string gadget when it opens. Hey presto, no more problems with
>having to move the mouse pointer whenever one of those File requesters

	Ugg!! Never!  I've used plenty of systems that 'move' the mouse for
you and I would never subject that sort of torture to the Amiga community!
The mouse should be moved by exactly one source ... the user.  I agree that
a fix needs to be made, but not that.

>Another small change that would be nice: Left-Right clicking a window
>when it is the only window on a screen, or when it is a backdrop window,
>sends the screen to the back (this is great). However, doing this to
>a normal window which is on the same screen as a backdrop window (e.g.
>workbench) doesn't have any effect (unless there are other normal windows
>on the same screen). How about making this latter case also send the screen
>to the back?

	Ahhh... that's an idea..  Kind of a small special case that might not
be worth the extra line or so of code.

>Oh well, just a few thoughts. I have DMOUSE1.09 on all my disks anyway, and
>I love it.

	Heh, so do I!

				-Matt

kevin@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kevin Clague) (09/29/88)

In article <8809281725.AA21445@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>Eddy Carroll writes:
>>check to see if the requester being opened contains a string gadget which is
>>initially selected; if it does, then position the mouse pointer over the
>>cursor in the string gadget when it opens. Hey presto, no more problems with
>>having to move the mouse pointer whenever one of those File requesters
>
>	Ugg!! Never!  I've used plenty of systems that 'move' the mouse for
>you and I would never subject that sort of torture to the Amiga community!
>The mouse should be moved by exactly one source ... the user.  I agree that
>a fix needs to be made, but not that.

  So, how about bringing the requester up under the mouse.  This is much
more presumptuous (DMouse overriding the oroginal programmer's intent),
and may not work all the time (for example if the window that is opening
the requester is not under the mouse pointer), but might work and you
wouldn't have to change the mouse pointer position.

>				-Matt

                                             kevin
--
UUCP:  kevin@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kevin

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

pds@quintus.uucp (Peter Schachte) (09/30/88)

The problem with DMouse people are trying to solve, if I understand
correctly, is that with the 'sunmouse' mode on, the window under the
mouse is ALWAYS the focus window (where keyboard input goes).  And when
a requester pops up, it's (by Murphy's law) never under the mouse.  So
if a program pops up a requester and programmatically gives it focus,
DMouse sets focus back to the window the mouse is in.  No good.

Couldn't the problem be solved by making DMouse only set focus when the
mouse moves into a window?  So if a requester pops up not under
the mouse, and is given focus, it'll keep focus until the requester
goes away or the user moves the mouse INTO a window other than ther
requester.

Of course, the violates the principle that the focus is always in the
window under the mouse.  But maybe that isn't such a great principle
anyway.
-Peter Schachte
pds@quintus.uucp
..!sun!quintus!pds

:Couldn't the problem be solved by making DMouse only set focus when the
:mouse moves into a window?  So if a requester pops up not under
:the mouse, and is given focus, it'll keep focus until the requester
:goes away or the user moves the mouse INTO a window other than ther
:requester.

	Nope.  The problem is that the window under the mouse can change
without moving the mouse ... for example, a new window is openned, or the
user selects the window-to-back icon.

	So, anybody got any elegant solutions?  I was thinking of testing
the very first window in the screen for an active requester... if that's
possible.  I think it is, but haven't looked at the structures yet.  In
anycase, if I can check this condition I can temporarily disable the
focus-on-keyhit (using your terminology) and focus-on-mousemove features
until the requester goes away or the mouse crosses a window boundry.

				-Matt

tegen@prefix.liu.se (Clas Tegenfeldt) (09/30/88)

[ Eat dirt...]

I love DMouse too, but...

DMouse makes a big no-no when trying to change the active window.
The offending sequence of commands is:
Forbid();
ActivateWindow();
Permit();

This results in a great lock-up if somebody else (read "me") has
performed LockLayers(). ActivateWindow is waiting for me to Unlock
the layers but since I am an input handler (actually, it's my program
that is an input handler) I won't get the proper input event since
DMouse is blocking the input. The conclusion is that ANY program that
locks the layers will cause DMouse to lock the input handling if
the mouse is moved to another window.

If I hold down a mouse button when moving the mouse everything works
fine, but then again, if I press a key DMouse tries to change the active
window and here we go again...

Solutions: (Matt!)

 Change the input handler to Signal the main task so that the waiting
 won't block the input stream.

 Check to see if the layers are locked. Is this possible? If they are
 locked, don't try to change the active window.

There is another solution: Intuition doesn't encounter this problem.
Why? Are all input handlers removed? Tell me, what is that other
solution?

Background:
 I've written a set of programs. One of them implements pop-up menus
 similar to those on Sun and Xerox, i.e. activated by the right mouse
 button. If I move the mouse out of the menu and press a key... se above.

When the problem is solved the programs will replace the Workbench
with an environment similar to that on Sun & Xerox Workstations,
including:
Background menus with user definable menu items,
Prompt Window available to every task,
Pop-up menus available to every program,
File Browser (a la Peter "U-Wolf" Da Silva) with user definable pop-up menu
  letting you add your own favourite "show", "type", "more", etc,
Snapping of characters and parts of the screen (for later character snapping),
Magnifier window,
and more things to come.

Note that these programs use Arp!

Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed are totally my own, but please
            don't tell my mother that.

BTW, I'm not the one you think. This is a borrowed userid, but feel free
to answer to this address.

EMail: C86.M-KARLSSON@XNS.Liuida.Seismo
SMail: Mikael Karlsson, Lovsattersvagen 10, S585 98  LINKOPING, SWEDEN
Phone: +46 13 50479

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (10/01/88)

In article <8809300637.AA26420@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
)
)	So, anybody got any elegant solutions?
)				-Matt

I haven't really tracked the problem, but a technique in my sunmouse
emulator (autopoint2) is this: keep track of the last window my program
tried to activate.  Don't try to activate it twice.  This worked with
the only hard test case I tried: the workbench rename window/gadget.

Does DMouse handle that one?

	jimm
--
	Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing
	amiga!jimm	BIX:jmackraz

C86.M-KARLSSON@XNS.Liuida.Seismo (Mikael Karlsson) Writes:
:I love DMouse too, but...
:
:DMouse makes a big no-no when trying to change the active window.
:The offending sequence of commands is:
:Forbid();
:ActivateWindow();
:Permit();
:
:This results in a great lock-up if somebody else (read "me") has
:performed LockLayers(). ActivateWindow is waiting for me to Unlock
:the layers but since I am an input handler (actually, it's my program
:that is an input handler) I won't get the proper input event since
:DMouse is blocking the input. The conclusion is that ANY program that
:locks the layers will cause DMouse to lock the input handling if
:the mouse is moved to another window.

	I'm sorry, you are wrong.  The original DMouse *did* do that,
you obviously have a VERY OLD version.  I moved all the intuition stuff to
a process.  In the last couple of versions, the input handler has done
nothing more than call AllocMem() and send simple messages to the process
to do the more complex operations.  Gee, that was easy!

				-Matt

tegen%prefix.liu.se@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: Clas Tegenfeldt <tegen@prefix.liu.se>
Subject: Re:  DMouse
Date: 30 Sep 88 13:13:06 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

[ Eat dirt...]

jimm%amiga.uucp@UDEL.EDU (10/04/88)

From: Jim Mackraz <jimm@amiga.uucp>
Date: 30 Sep 88 21:46:05 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@UDEL.EDU
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@UDEL.EDU

)

pds@quintus.uucp (Peter Schachte) (10/04/88)

In article <8809300637.AA26420@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>:Couldn't the problem be solved by making DMouse only set focus when the
>:mouse moves into a window?
>	Nope.  The problem is that the window under the mouse can change
>without moving the mouse ... for example, a new window is openned, or the
>user selects the window-to-back icon.

That's just the point.  A window popping up under the mouse wouldn't
necessarily get focus.  A window would only get focus when the mouse
moves INTO it.  And conversely, a window would only loose focus when
the mouse moves into another window, or the focus is changed under
program control.

As I see it, if a window that should be given focus pops up NOT under
the mouse, you have two choices:

	a)  move the window or mouse so that the window is under the
	    mouse, or
	b)  allow the window to have focus even though it isn't under
	    the mouse.

I'm suggesting b.
-Peter Schachte
pds@quintus.uucp
..!sun!quintus!pds

nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) (10/05/88)

In article <501@quintus.UUCP> pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) writes:
>That's just the point.  A window popping up under the mouse wouldn't
>necessarily get focus.  A window would only get focus when the mouse
>moves INTO it.  And conversely, a window would only loose focus when
>the mouse moves into another window, or the focus is changed under
>program control.

I could swear that this actually happened to me once with Dmouse, much to my
surprise.  However, I have not been able to reproduce the result.  I had a
window which was not active even though the mouse was in it.  When I nudged
the mouse, the window became active.  No real reason for concern.

>As I see it, if a window that should be given focus pops up NOT under
>the mouse, you have two choices:
>
>	a)  move the window or mouse so that the window is under the
>	    mouse, or
>	b)  allow the window to have focus even though it isn't under
>	    the mouse.
>
>I'm suggesting b.

I agree.

>-Peter Schachte

.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...
|  Neil Weinstock | att!cord!nsw     | "I think my cerebellum just  |
|  AT&T Bell Labs | nsw@cord.att.com |      fused." - Calvin        |
.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (10/05/88)

In article <490@quintus.UUCP> pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) writes:
>Couldn't the problem be solved by making DMouse only set focus when the
>mouse moves into a window?  So if a requester pops up not under
>the mouse, and is given focus, it'll keep focus until the requester
>goes away or the user moves the mouse INTO a window other than ther
>requester.

My personal objection to that is that I rearrange windows and screens
from the keyboard, not the mouse.  (Using wKeys, mainly)  I _like_ the
fact that any keyboard input automatically activates the window under
the mouse.  Given the choice between that feature and getting rid of the
requester problem, I'll live with the requester problem.  I've learned
to leave the mouse sitting in strategic spots, anyway.  That way, common
requesters _do_ come up under the mouse.

It seems to me that auto-activated string gadgets frequently stay
activated, anyway, even with Dmouse active.

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) (10/06/88)

<
<My personal objection to that is that I rearrange windows and screens
<from the keyboard, not the mouse.  (Using wKeys, mainly)  I _like_ the
<fact that any keyboard input automatically activates the window under
<the mouse.  Given the choice between that feature and getting rid of the
<requester problem, I'll live with the requester problem.  I've learned
<to leave the mouse sitting in strategic spots, anyway.  That way, common
<requesters _do_ come up under the mouse.
<
<It seems to me that auto-activated string gadgets frequently stay
<activated, anyway, even with Dmouse active.

Well, it only goes to prove that you can't please all of the people all of
the time.

How about making it a new command line option, which if specified would
prevent windows from getting activated until the mouse moves?  Frankly, I
must confess that I'm not certain exactly how much I'd like it that way, but
it sounds reasonable enough, and should solve the requester problem for people
who find it annoying....

.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...

Neil Weinstock | att!cord!nsw  Writes:
:How about making it a new command line option, which if specified would
:prevent windows from getting activated until the mouse moves?  Frankly, I
:must confess that I'm not certain exactly how much I'd like it that way, but
:it sounds reasonable enough, and should solve the requester problem for people
:who find it annoying....

	This already exists (V1.07 and beyond)

	-A0	disable auto-activate
	-A1	on mouse move only
	-A2	on keyhit only (doesn't work right in 1.09, fixed next release)
	-A3	on both

	The requester problem has been 95% fixed anyway.  V1.11 comming soon
to video screens near you!

					-Matt

840493n@aucs.UUCP (Bill Nickerson) (02/19/89)

Has anyone noticed this problem in DMouse? Maybe it has been fixed already.
(I'm using the first version of it.)
A few days ago, I booted up my Amiga 1000 and, after installing DMouse and
such, one of my friends sat down and started lazily messing around with the
mouse. He went to the drag bar at the top of the initial window, pressed
both mouse buttons, and moved the mouse down the screen quickly. *BANG*
GURU. "Waitaminute," I said, "that must have been a fluke." I booted
again and tried the exact same thing. *BANG* No GURU, but the screen was
f**ked and the machine was locked up. I tried a third time. Same thing.
Has this been eradicated? Is it unique to my machine?

..Bill
--
Bill Nickerson    | UUCP   : {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!840493n
Acadia University | BITNet : 840493n@Acadia

In article <1583@aucs.UUCP> 840493n@aucs.UUCP (Bill Nickerson) writes:

>Has anyone noticed this problem in DMouse? Maybe it has been fixed already.
>(I'm using the first version of it.)
>mouse. He went to the drag bar at the top of the initial window, pressed
>both mouse buttons, and moved the mouse down the screen quickly. *BANG*
>GURU. "Waitaminute," I said, "that must have been a fluke." I booted
>again and tried the exact same thing. *BANG* No GURU, but the screen was

Yes, it works like this: Have only one window on the screen, and no
workbench. Place mousecursor on the windowdrawbar, pressandhold RMB
press and hold LMB, you can now drag the window *off* the screen. If you
drop the window completely on screen you wont crash the machine,
usually.

dkanthar@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Devaprasad Kantharaj) (10/22/89)

I am sorry if this is a silly question, but what is Dmouse? I have seen many
references made it. What exactly does it do?

Thanks in advance...

Prasad