[comp.sys.amiga] AI for the amiga

ummouss2@ccu.umanitoba.ca (10/21/89)

Last week I posted a request for info on AI software for the Amiga.
I received a number of replys, and a few of those people asked me to
post the info I received.

Well it seems that the following were the packages people knew about:

1) XLISP - this is a PD interpreter on FF3, FF18, FF39.  The one on FF39 seems to be the most recent (V1.7).  Most people seem to think that this implementation is pretty klunky.

2) AMXLisp - this is also a PD one.  I don't have any info on this except that
it is on FF181 and is V2.0.  This may be fairly good, but I'll have to get my
hands on a copy and see...

3) SBprolog - This, I hear, is an excellent version of Prolog.  It is PD
but is supposed to be of commercial quality. It can be found on FF140-141.

4) Cambridge Lisp - now here is a program that I got a copy of from a friend
  I think it is a commercial product from Europe.  I got version 1.0.  It
seems like a very good product, assuming that they have made updates to it,
and fixed the bugs.  It was produced by a company called:
     Tenchstar Ltd.
     26 Portland Square
     Bristol, United Kingdom

This program was written in about 1985.  If anyone knows anything about
this package, please let me know.  It looks like a good package to buy.

Well it looks like people arn't doing much AI work on the Amiga, judging
by the packages I have listed.  If anyone has anything to add to this list
please let me know, or better yet post it to the group.  I am really
interested in AI on the Amiga, but some of the other common computers
(who shall remain nameless :-) ) seem to have MUCh better support in this
area.

MaRc MoUsSeAu
ummouss2@ccu.umanitoba.ca

djohnson@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) (10/23/89)

In article <1989Oct21.024238.2921@ccu.umanitoba.ca> ummouss2@ccu.umanitoba.ca () writes:
>Last week I posted a request for info on AI software for the Amiga.
>I received a number of replys, and a few of those people asked me to
>post the info I received.

>Well it looks like people arn't doing much AI work on the Amiga, judging
>by the packages I have listed.  If anyone has anything to add to this list
>please let me know, or better yet post it to the group.

Don't forget Magellan, which is a production-system/expert-system package.
I haven't checked it out, but it is supposed to support ARexx.  I don't
remember who publishes it.

AMXLisp tended to crash on me alot.  Eventually, I gave up and removed
the Amiga extensions so that it was vanilla XLisp 2.0.  I added a new
asstuff.c file that is MUCH faster for console handling, and supports
NEWCON: (or any other variety with recompiling).  If it turns out to be
pretty stable, I may post it.  I would like to add ARexx support, but
don't have the time anymore.  Has anyone worked on this? (it would
allow using rexxarplib, etc.)

Darin Johnson
djohnson@ucsd.edu