[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Ads REVIEWED!

gbbrooks@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (G. Brandon Brooks) (10/24/89)

    I picked up the latest issue of "Advertising Age" in my school
library just this morning, the October 16, 1989 issue, and on page 82 they
have an AD REVIEW about the Commodore Amiga commercials. The magazine reviews
an ad every week on their second from last page (Keystone beer was last issue)
and comments on it.
    I have never seen the Amiga commercial myself, living in Buffalo, NY,
not a "Top 18" TV area according to Commodore, but according to what the ad
review says, I think the Amiga ad will be excellent when I see one, perhaps
on WWOR ch.9 NYC cable channel.
    Out of 4 stars, in which 4 stars represents excellent, three for
notable, two for mediocre, and one for pathetic..... the Amiga commercial gets
3 1/2 stars. Not bad, Not bad.
    What the article says:
HEADLINE: "Star appeal shines brightly in new Commodore Amiga ad"
[... describes commercial in detail with stars. Sounds like a funny
 commercial.....]
  "Then comes Henry Morgan's dry voiceover: "The Amiga Color, sound, graphics,
power. At a price to make it truly a thing of beauty for the creative mind."
  "By this time, Tip O'Neill is at the door, and Mom is barely surprised.
She just offers him some of her husband's fried chicken and sends him
upstairs. The next shot, O'Neill blundering into the commotion of Stevie's
room, awkwardly weilding a drumstick, is a genuine classic. [NOTE: There is
a picture on this page showing Tip O'Neill and his drumstick]
  "The entire spot - from Messner Vetere Berger Carey Schmetterer, New ork -
is wonderful. Tom Messner's copy is spare, yet witty. When Mom first opens
the door and says, "Aren't you astronauts?" there's no punch line per se,
but the line is still funny. All Bachrach and Little Richard say is "Burt
Bachrach" and "Little Richard", and _that's_ funny.
  "Art director Barry Vetere has got the setting to a T, and director Matthew
Robbins' pacing is perfection itself. Moreover, he has gotten flawlessly
understated performances from everyone. Dad says not one word, but speaks
volumes doing it.
  "More importantly, the commercial speaks volumes about a remarkably
versatile computer. If Commodore is ever again to turn profit in this
country, it must somehow magically create an image for - and convey the
hitherto unconveyed advantages of - a product that does much of what the
Apple Macintosh does at a much lower price.
  "The parade of personalities makes just that point. No willy-nilly Who's
Who eclecticism here. A home computer that does professional-quality work
for all these varied disciplines is truly a cause to celebritize."

  If anyone wants to read what the ad is like, other than the ending with
Tip O'Neill, find a copy of the October 16th Advertising Age magazine and
read page 82. 3 Color photos of the ads are included too. This way, I won't
spoil the surprise for those that want to wait until they actually see the
  On a side note regarding advertizements, has anyone seen the *NEW*
energizer commercials with that Bunny that 'outperforms all the competitors'.
I saw the new Ad along with a crowd of people watching the Bills game on
Sunday. No-one could stop cracking up. Hillarious.
  I can't wait to see the Amiga ad! Does anyone know generalities about when/
where it will air on WWOR in New ork City, as I get that channel? And also,
is Commodore advertizing in TORONTO? As I live in Buffalo, we get Toronto
and Canadian stations. Maybe I can see the commercials there, or is Commodore
only advertizing in the US?
        -Brandon!

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (10/24/89)

In article <12186@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> gbbrooks@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (G. Brandon Brooks) writes:

>   I can't wait to see the Amiga ad! Does anyone know generalities about when/
> where it will air on WWOR in New ork City, as I get that channel? And also,
> is Commodore advertizing in TORONTO? As I live in Buffalo, we get Toronto
> and Canadian stations. Maybe I can see the commercials there, or is Commodore
> only advertizing in the US?
>         -Brandon!

Commodore-US only advertizes in America.  Commodore-Canada only
advertizes in The Great White North.  Commodore-... never mind.

Since everyone claims that Copperman is behind these commercials, and
since Copperman is in charge of Commodore-US, I always assumed that
the commercials were only going to be shown in America.

It would be interesting if Commodore International (which is based in
Bermuda) got the same ad agency to work up commercials for other
countries.

The problem is that other countries view the Amiga in a COMPLETELY
different way.  Past-CEO [oops... name censored... I think I promised
never to say it again :-)] made a big deal about how Americans view
the Amiga as "The Amiga 2x00 which is really powerful as a business
tool" while Europeans view it as "The Amiga 500 which blows away any
other home computer".  (Hmmm... could this partially explain the trend
of European programming styles?)

-Tom
--
Drew University   -- Tom Limoncelli