[comp.sys.amiga] UNKILLABLE CLOCK

snovell@umd5.umd.edu (Scott Novell) (10/17/89)

Does anyone know of a clock program that will place the time
in the title bar (say, on the right-hand side before the back/front boxes)?
It would be especially nice if the program could sense if a new window
was opened and place the time in the new windows title bar also.

                           - Scott

king@cell.mot.COM (Steven King) (10/18/89)

In article <5469@umd5.umd.edu> snovell@umd5.umd.edu (Scott Novell) writes:
>Does anyone know of a clock program that will place the time
>in the title bar (say, on the right-hand side before the back/front boxes)?
>It would be especially nice if the program could sense if a new window
>was opened and place the time in the new windows title bar also.
>
>                           - Scott

I use a program quite similar to what you're asking for, Scott.  It's known as
ClockDJ and it's either PD or shareware.  (I'm going to look over the docs
tonight; if it's shareware I'm definiately sending in the fee!)  Anyway,
ClockDJ has a number of features as opposed to being just a clock:

    o Clock display and free memory display will pop to the front of any
      window or screen.  It won't label each window like you're asking for,
      but with this thing continually popping in front of everything you don't
      really need everything labelled.  The free memory display can be set
      to show total free memory or both free chip and fast memory.  The
      display is one line high and about two inches long; I leave it in the
      Workbench title bar next to the right-hand screen gadgets.

    o Sun-style mouse emulation.  Whatever window the mouse pointer is over
      is the active window.  No more clicking on windows!  Yea!

    o Click windows to front or back without using gadgets.

    o Provides full key macro and redefinition ability.

    o Lets you cycle through how ever many screens you have open by pressing
      Amiga-M.  This is a definate improvement over the normal Amiga-M/Amiga-N
      functions.

    o Screen blanking and mouse pointer blanking after a selectable period of
      inactivity.

    o You can adjust the priority level ClockDJ runs at.

There are probably a few more features it has that I'm not remembering right
now.  All of its features can be turned on and off independently.  For example,
I've got screen blank off, mouse blanking on (set to 5 seconds), Sun-style
mouse on, key macros on, pop clock to front off, click-to-front on, and
screen cycle (Amiga-M) on.

Now that I've whetted the entire net's collective appetite, you're probably
all dying to know where you can get this thing!  Beats me.  I pulled it off
a local board (under the filename clkdj309.zoo).  I don't know if it's
available anywhere on the net.  I'd be willing to try getting the program to
someone who could post it in a public place.  Also, if someone knows of a
version newer than 3.09, please let me know!

| It doesn't matter how good a computer it is,   | Steve King  (312) 991-8056 |
| it can't multitask running anything and being  |   ...uunet!motcid!king     |
| turned off.                                    |   ...ddsw1!palnet!stevek   |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) (10/19/89)

The clockdj program was posted to Usenet on 03-May-1989 as version 3.07 by
fricker!sonia@uunet.uu.net (Sonia Fricker Brock) via the efforts of the
comp.binaries.amiga moderator, Bob Page.  It is registered as "v89i083"
Message-ID <102550@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> in the archives (wherever you may find
them).  I checked the Fish disk list, but did not find it there.  If anyone
is desperate, they can send me email and I can mail them a 35048 character
shar.  But most I suspect would be better off casting about via FTP to try
to find a newer version than praying for email from me.
						Howard Hull
						hull@hao.ucar.edu

vic.rocha@canremote.uucp (VIC ROCHA) (10/20/89)

>From: snovell@umd5.umd.edu (Scott Novell)
>
>Does anyone know of a clock program that will place the time
>in the title bar (say, on the right-hand side before the back/front
>boxes)? It would be especially nice if the program could sense if a
>new window was opened and place the time in the new windows title bar
>also.

Hi Scott, search the `boards' for ClockDJ (usually in the form of
CLKDJnnn.ZOO where nnn is the version #),  latest is v4.08, just posted
up here on CRS in Toronto, by David Jenkins, the author.  Does a lot
more than just display a clock though,  macros, arexx, arp file
requestors, key remapping, chip/fast/total memory, screen/mouse blank,
sunmouse, screen cycle, mouse speed, fetch morning paper!!  ;-)

VIC

---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

vic.rocha@canremote.uucp (VIC ROCHA) (10/23/89)

Hi Steve, latest version of ClockDJ is 4.07,  will be up on Compuserve
in the next day or two!  David Jenkins is the author, a fellow
Torontonian and frequents (lurks! ;-) Canada Remote Systems here as
well as Bloom Beacon, his home away from home!  The latest version has a
few fixes for some obscure `undocumented features' (;-) and a reworked
`active window' for the Screen Cycle feature (previous versions were
inconsistent, this version it's whatever Window is under the mouse
pointer at the time the screen is brought to the front).  David states
only that it's his Copyright but, is mute on PD/Shareware status, though
he does give his `addresses'!

BTW, couple of FEATURES you didn't include on your list:

          1) ARexx port!!!! (David even includes `example scripts'!)

          2) Arp File Requestor call up `internal' (with `macro')

          3) Full keyboard -ReMapping- capability (not just macros!)

             (A neat way for A1000 keyboarders to get that handful
              of keys that the A500/A2000's have `extra'!!   In fact,
              that's my current `workaround' for that !$#!#$!#$ Janus
              v2.0's right Amiga + Help key conflicts with the A1000's
              _Supposed_ emulation of Scroll Lock and Break keys!)

The only thing ClockDJ doesn't do yet is do the dishes, but, David says
he's working on it!!  ;-)

VIC

---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

kxs5829@ultb.UUCP (K.X. Saunders) (10/24/89)

Does anybody know of a program that will display fast,chip,and total
ram, and the date and time in a window?  That's all it needs (I want it)
to do.

I have something called mclock written in assembly.  It doesn't display
the correct amounts of ram.  I also have a program called jpclock that
seems to work correctly except it likes to guru the machine when you
make its window active during disk access.

			Thanks,
			Kyle

			kxs5829@ultb.isc.rit.edu