[comp.sys.amiga] Taxan 770+

nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) (10/20/89)

In article <14007@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
[ ... ]
>The TAXAN 770+ multiscan monitor (a little hard to find but worth the
>effort) has an "overscan" switch (not to be confused with the Amiga's
>overscan display mode) which allows the standard Amiga screen area to
>fill the entire screen.  The monitor can be found for <$500 and has
>consistently received very good reviews.  Were I to get a new monitor
>(with or without a flicker fixer) I would get one of these, as it will
>support the ECS modes.  But because of it's overscan switch, it is
>especially nice to use with a Flicker Fixer.

I've got a Taxan which, on the whole, I've been pleased with.  I bought
it in anticipation of the ECS, though the Flicker Fixer has tempted me
greatly.

There are two potential problems with this monitor that people should be
aware of.  First, the picture size grows with total screen brightness.
What that means is that an animation which is changing overall brightness
will seem to shrink and grow on the screen.  When it happens very quickly,
it can be quite annoying.  Fortunately, most software I have ever used doesn't
change brightness that quickly, so it hasn't been a real problem for me.

Second thing is, I have yet to figure out whether the 770 displays interlace
properly.  This obviously won't matter if you're planning to get a Flicker
Fixer, but for me it does.  I suspect that the two interlaced fields are
being shown on top of each other rather than offset by a scan line.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to tell for certain....
\\\\ Neil Weinstock //\\ att!cord!nsw  or //\\ "Oh dear, now I shall have ////
//// AT&T Bell Labs \\// nsw@cord.att.com \\//  to create more Martians." \\\\

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (10/24/89)

--
No.  It requires a monitor that can handle 31.5 kHz horizontal
scan rates.  The "stock" Amy monitors are designed for 15.75 kHz.