[comp.sys.amiga] Advertisement News

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) (10/24/89)

Here's some mail I got re: the ads:

To: rlcarr@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
Subject: Ads
From: Michael A. Patton <MAP@LCS.MIT.EDU>
Sender: map@GAAK.LCS.MIT.EDU

Well, the BCS Amiga meeting on Tuesday showed several ads.  I saw one
of them on broadcast TV 3 times that night.  The new president of
Commodore US gave a talk on what he's doing to get things going and it
sounds GREAT.

All the TV ads are based around this kid in suburbia (they all open
with a quick sequence to his home) who uses an Amiga and what he can
do.  There is a 60 second spot with lots of celebrities (3 astronauts,
Pointer Sisters, Bacharach, Little Richard, Tip O'Neil, Tommy Lasorda,
more [since I'm not up on all these areas, excuse me if I got some of
the names wrong]) consulting him about various things.  He's printing
out (and playing) music scores, running baseball simulations, graphics
animations with a space station, etc.  There are also two 30 second
spots on slightly different aspects.  One shows him breaking in on an
awards show and showing himself receiving the award, this is piped
into the girl-next-doors set.  It's pretty funny, and they REALLY did
it with the Amiga on the set!  The second shows him doing some
graphics of his house and animating it off the ground and his actual
house gets lifted, it's a bit far out but is intended as a mood type
of thing.  There is also a 30 second spot which is a cut down of the
60 second (but watch carefully, some of the lines are different,
they're actually two completely seperate edits from the same shooting
run).  They all end with the same tag line which I can't quite
remember.

As to seeing them only in some places, the report at the meeting was
that Commodore had researched the markets they could support the best
and are starting a saturation campaign in those areas now.  Apparently
Boston has one of the best Amiga dealer networks around so we got the
first group.  They will probably be playing them wider as Christmas
approaches.  They are also targeting MTV (the awards show one will be
a hit there I predict, and all the music types in the biggy will
probably play well) which I don't get so I can't report.  These
initial TV ads are all consumer oriented, but intended to play up the
professional abilities.  They are apparently working on more business
oriented ads (and education, he said Jan-Feb was the big education
commitment time) for after Christmas.  Copperman seemed to be very up
on educational discounts and promotions, maybe we'll finally see
Amigas in the MIT MCC!

They are also going to have a bunch of full page ads in the next
couple of weeks in Time, Newsweek, etc.  The report is two facing
pages, one full of "professional" things, one "consumer".  They're
supposed to point out that one machine really CAN do both.

	-Mike Patton

P.S.  The commercials are done by Lucasfilm!  Amigas were used both
for all the Amiga stuff seen on the screen and in camera control and
post production.  Apparently Lucasfilm has gone for Amigas in a BIG
way.

--
Rich Carreiro - Most Biased New England Patriots Fan        Play Grogan!
ARPA: rlcarr@space.mit.edu                                  Bury Berry!

unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Regional Support) (10/25/89)

In article <15336@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> rlcarr@space.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) writes:
$Here's some mail I got re: the ads:
$
$To: rlcarr@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
$From: Michael A. Patton <MAP@LCS.MIT.EDU>
$Sender: map@GAAK.LCS.MIT.EDU
$
$
$	-Mike Patton
$
$P.S.  The commercials are done by Lucasfilm!  Amigas were used both
$for all the Amiga stuff seen on the screen and in camera control and
$post production.  Apparently Lucasfilm has gone for Amigas in a BIG
$way.

Actually the Amiga's were not used for "Camera Control" per say.  The
amigas were genlocked to an S-VHS Video camera that was recieving a  black-
burst signal from a synch-generator tha was also timing the 35mm motion
picture camera.  The Amiga was genlocked using the Digital Creation's
A2000s S-VHS genlock and the software provided by digital Creations was
what allowed us to change the phase (or color) of the video signal in real time
so that we could color correct the output to match the color temperture
of the film camera.  As far as the post production goes we used an amiga
to display the opening graphic for the girl next door spot and took it too
1" tape this was then edited into the master. A farouja encoder was used
between the Amiga and the 1" machine. All video was edited on 1" tape.

Rick Unland

$--
$Rich Carreiro - Most Biased New England Patriots Fan        Play Grogan!
$ARPA: rlcarr@space.mit.edu                                  Bury Berry!
$UUCP: ...!mit-eddie!space.mit.edu!rlcarr                    Trade Eason!
$BITNET: rlcarr%space.mit.edu@MITVMA                         Can Kiam!

--
******* Rick Unland	Commodore Business Machines ****************************
*	Usenet: uunet!cbmvax!unland  ARPA: cbmvax!unland!@uunet.UU.NET         *