[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 2000 WB1.3 HD Autoboot

AllanWS@cup.portal.com (Allan BA Schlaugat) (10/20/89)

I *just* received my new Amiga 2000 (a upgrade from a C-128) for
home use. After receiving my new system, I noticed that the Workbench
autobooted from my Hard Drive automatically. This was "magical"
according to other computer users. Unfortunately after a major
logic error on my wife's part, the HD was formatted, erasing the WB
and all traces of this magic.
My system is a Amiga 2000 with a version 6.1 motherboard, a Seagate
ST296R 85 meg HD, TrumpCard HD controller, XT bridgecard, and WB1.3.2
on disk.
Can anyone take my hand and show me how to return the Amiga to its
previous magic?? Please, no flames.. I am still learning....

Allan Schlaugat  / allanws@cup.portal.com  /  Amateur Radio: N9ISN
--> Prairie Broadcasting Co.  WPRE  Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin <--

poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier) (10/25/89)

In article <23216@cup.portal.com> AllanWS@cup.portal.com (Allan BA Schlaugat) writes:
>Unfortunately after a major
>logic error on my wife's part, the HD was formatted...

This reminds me of a suggestion I have for the Workbench (not that I
can tell if the above incident was the same as my incident).  The
Workbench has an "initialize" menu item whose effect is to format the
selected disk.  I once lost a disk to the computer-naivete' of a friend
who thought "initialize" was how you started up a program.

I would suggest that "initialize" be replaced by a term which more
clearly implies a *destructive* operation.  How about "format"?

	Cheers,
	Charles Poirier