[comp.sys.amiga] Mail Order houses

phillip@nuchat.UUCP (Phillip Keen) (04/24/88)

Hello there, has anyone had any experiences with these mail order houses
or dealers?  I'm thinking about ordering some software from them and was
wondering if anyone has had any problems with them.  They are:

MicroComputer Services (MCS), Go Amigo, Computer Mart, Computer Mail Order,
and S&S Wholesalers

Please leave me mail with your results from these mail order houses.  I'd
appreciate them very much, because I'm seriously thinking about ordering
some software from at least one of them.  Phillip Keen

Smail Address:  Phillip Keen - 2705 Martin - Pasadena, TX  77502

tegen@mina.liu.se (Clas Tegenfeldt) (04/25/88)

In article <975@nuchat.UUCP> phillip@nuchat.UUCP (Phillip Keen) writes:
>Hello there, has anyone had any experiences with these mail order houses
> [...]
>MicroComputer Services (MCS), Go Amigo, Computer Mart, Computer Mail Order,
>and S&S Wholesalers

Yes, I ordered Manx Aztec C 3.60 from MCS in January. I got 3.40b a month
ago and they haven't answered my comlaining letter yet. As you might
understand, I'm not too happy about it.
I wrote to Manx last week to get the upgrade instead.

	Am I just unlucky? / Jonas

[Borrowing this account since obelix doesn't work]
      ///
     ///  "Are you THE Zaphod Beeblebrox ????" # d85.j-petersson@linus.liu.se
__  ///                                        # jonas-p@obelix.liu.se   ,
\\\///    "No, just A Zaphod Beeblebrox.       # Night Hacker Society   (L_/T
 \///  Didn't you hear - I come in sixpacks !" # AUGSBBS: +46 13170660  #Z TT

thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) (04/26/88)

In article <975@nuchat.UUCP> you write:

>Hello there, has anyone had any experiences with these mail order houses
>or dealers?  I'm thinking about ordering some software from them and was
>wondering if anyone has had any problems with them.  They are:
>
>MicroComputer Services (MCS), Go Amigo, Computer Mart, Computer Mail Order,
>and S&S Wholesalers

I wasn't going to post this but MCS has severelry angered me, and somebody
asked.

Not sure about the rest but I have had a TTEERRRIBBBLLE time with MCS.
Back in Sept.87 I ordered three pieces of software from them, one of which
was Sculpt 3D. The other to items were shipped but Sculpt never arrived.
Not only was my VISA charged for all THREE items, but one of them I was
double charged for. I called them up and they assured me Sculpt had been
shipped and promised to fix the double billing. The billing was fixed but
Sculpt never arrived. After weeks of deliberation with MCS and United Parcel,
MCS finally admitted that it must have been lost. Fine I say, send another
copy. "Errr, Ahh...We are presently back-ordered on that item.....but should
be getting it in RSN!" I should have given up here but since they said it
would only be a week, I accepted. Weeks pass. I made three calls (spaced
four days apart) and each time I was assured "it just went out today, you
should receive it in 2-3 days". It didn't come so I cancelled my order.
Two weeks later it arrives. I call customer service (again!) and explain what
has happened. They say "send it back and we'll credit your VISA" (this is
back in mid Dec.87). Well it is now April 25, 1988 and my VISA still hasn't
been credited. I have made over 30 long distance calls to them and I'm
HOPPING MAD!!!! DO NOT DEAL WITH MCS!!!! I have since been dealing with
Abel Supply. They screwed one of my orders up also, but since they changed
over to a new computer system, they seem to have gotten their act together.

I appologize for the ranting & raving. I am not affiliated with any of the
afformentioned dealers.
|      Mark Thompson                                                     |
|      decvax!savax!thompson       Designing high performance graphics   |
|      (603)885-9229               silicon today for a better tomorrow.  |

rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) (04/26/88)

In article <794@mina.liu.se> tegen@mina.liu.se writes:
>In article <975@nuchat.UUCP> phillip@nuchat.UUCP (Phillip Keen) writes:
>Yes, I ordered Manx Aztec C 3.60 from MCS in January. I got 3.40b a month
>ago and they haven't answered my comlaining letter yet. As you might
   I HATE MCS!!!!
   I have had two experiences with them, both very bad, and both
verging on me losing my money!
  Don't waste your time or your money!!!
ron
--
ron (rminnich@udel.edu)

msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) (04/27/88)

In article <2274@louie.udel.EDU> rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) writes:
>In article <794@mina.liu.se> tegen@mina.liu.se writes:
>>In article <975@nuchat.UUCP> phillip@nuchat.UUCP (Phillip Keen) writes:
>>Yes, I ordered Manx Aztec C 3.60 from MCS in January. I got 3.40b a month
>>ago and they haven't answered my comlaining letter yet. As you might
>   I HATE MCS!!!!
>   I have had two experiences with them, both very bad, and both
>verging on me losing my money!
>  Don't waste your time or your money!!!
>ron
>--
>ron (rminnich@udel.edu)

I ordered my A1000 from them on DEC 26, 1986.  I received it on JAN 4, 1987.
I thought this was excellent service considering it was Christmas and New
Years and all of that stuff.

	--Mike Leibow

--
Michael S. Leibow
UUCP:		{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!msl5864

zinnato@udel.EDU (Ronald Zinnato) (04/28/88)

In article <447@ritcv.UUCP> msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) writes:
>In article <2274@louie.udel.EDU> rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) writes:
>>   I HATE MCS!!!!
>>   I have had two experiences with them, both very bad, and both
>>verging on me losing my money!
>>  Don't waste your time or your money!!!
>>ron
>>ron (rminnich@udel.edu)

Excuse my ignorance if this is the wrong place, but is MCS the one that
advertises in Computer Shopper a lot, especially for hardware that is
being liquidated??

My friend ordered a Canon PJ 1080A printer from them a couple of years ago
for $200 (what a bahhhgin).  They sent him TWO (for the price of 1).
I bought the other one off of him for $125.  (of course, some poor sap out
there probably didn't get his.... oh well)
A few weeks later, he sent away for some software at another place, and
they not only sent him what he had ordered, but two other things he hadn't,
again while only charging him for what he had originally ordered.  As you
may imagine, he swears by mail-order.  Of course, with these kind of
screw-ups, someone somewhere got screwed.  Therefore, I think it's safest
to stay away from mail-order places.  This is my own opinion, and since
I had enough Philosophy couses to come to the conclusion that everyone has
free will, you are not obligated to follow my advice. (i.e. No flames please)

another ron at UD
zinnato@udel.edu

steve@dcdwest.UUCP (Steve Meloche) (04/28/88)

Wow.  With all this bad press, it's nice to hear something positive about MCS.
I, myself, have had many good experiences with them.  Not only have their prices
been good compared to others I have seen advertising, but they have always
delivered just what I ordered, rather quickly.  So far I have ordered my Amiga
(refurbished), my Insider 1M board, and Digi-Paint through them.  Gee, the
Amiga 1000 even had EHB mode!

This discussion is reminiscent of discussions about Abel Supply, where people
had such differing experiences.  For what it's worth, I can recommend MCS.

                           Steven Meloche
    _____ _____ _____
      |   ` | ' ` | '      ITT Defense Communications Division
      |     |     |        San Diego, CA
    __|__   |     |        steve!dcdwest!ucsdhub!...

siannce@polyslo.UUCP (Stephan P Iannce) (04/29/88)

In article <2306@louie.udel.EDU>, zinnato@udel.EDU (Ronald Zinnato) writes:
> My friend ordered a Canon PJ 1080A printer from them a couple of years ago
> for $200 (what a bahhhgin).  They sent him TWO (for the price of 1).
> I bought the other one off of him for $125.  (of course, some poor sap out
> there probably didn't get his.... oh well)

I've never really got a surprise from any mail order company (I do all my shopping by MO) but I did get screwed at that one company someone mentioned a while back that went bankrupt in Pheonix. I had a couple of pieces of software on order, now I guess I'll never see them. :-(

I do know of someone who ordered a 512k Starboard ][ from Abel and (after a while trying to get the company to send it) received one with 2-meg installed, all he had to do was reposition the jumpers. He then bought Microbotics MFM for the SB][ from the same company and they sent him 2. So I guess it kind of evens out...

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (04/29/88)

In article <975@nuchat.UUCP> phillip@nuchat.UUCP (Phillip Keen) writes:
>MicroComputer Services (MCS), Go Amigo, Computer Mart, Computer Mail Order,
>and S&S Wholesalers

Well, I only have experience with Go Amigo.  I recently ordered an ASDG
8MI, a copy of FACC II, and a copy of Lattice C (professional version).
Everything was fine, it arrived here within a couple of weeks and so
forth.  I didn't get any memory chips with the 8MI because they wanted
$45 per chip and uProcessors Unlimited "only" wanted $35.

But the real kicker was that they sent me Aztec C instead of Lattice,
and not even the right version.  Oh well...  They are sending me a
copy of Lattice C and I have to send back the Aztec.  I have to pay
the shipping on the Aztec and the next thing I order from them I
get free shipping ...  I guess I'm satisfied with that arrangement.
I just *loved* the surfer-boy accent on the guy I talked to ... :-)
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

sarge@percival.UUCP (Rod Sargent) (04/30/88)

>In article <975@nuchat.UUCP> you write:
>>
>>Hello there, has anyone had any experiences with these mail order houses
>>or dealers?  I'm thinking about ordering some software from them and was
>>wondering if anyone has had any problems with them.  They are:
>>
>>MicroComputer Services (MCS), Go Amigo, Computer Mart, Computer Mail Order,
>>and S&S Wholesalers

  I too have had a very frustrating experience with Mail Order products.
Last November, I was in the market for an additional drive for my A1000.
After browsing through my latest AmigaWorld, I called a number of mail
order places (including all those you mentioned).  Upon calling S&S
Wholesalers, I was pleased to hear that they would be mailing me a 1010
Amiga drive for under $200, including next day shipping.  Well, overnight
turned into a 1 month wait with no drive.  When I called the 800 order line,
they told me that they do not even carry the 1010 and that they had me
down for a clone drive for over $240 and that it would be another month
before they would get them in stock ("...due to Christmas rush, you can't expect us to have them for everybody..
  I asked to cancel my order, but was told I had to call a long distance
number to do that....

I no longer do business by mail!

jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) (05/02/88)

>In article <975@nuchat.UUCP> you write:
>>
>>Hello there, has anyone had any experiences with these mail order houses
>>or dealers?  I'm thinking about ordering some software from them and was
>>wondering if anyone has had any problems with them.  They are:
>>
>>MicroComputer Services (MCS), Go Amigo, Computer Mart, Computer Mail Order,
>>and S&S Wholesalers

I had an interesting experience with MCS, but I will end up trying them again
for software. (My religion prohibits me from buying hardware mailorder :-)

Having a refbrshd A1000 I wanted my own Enhancer. At $10 and a minimum $5
shipping fee I thought I would get TerrorPods too. I ordered when they
had it in stock and about 1-2 weeks later I got the TerrorPods disk,
no Enhancer!!! and a $5 shipping fee!!!

Worse, you know how some packages have the sticker price on the inside of
the shrink wrap? Well, TerrorPods had just a sticker smudge on the inside!
And the rules were a bit worn. Hmmmmm.

Finally got MCS cust. service and he was sooo shocked at the mention of
re-shrink wrapping that I figure:
	1) they really do it
or
	2) he was telling the truth
(He suggested Psygnosis did it.)

To make a long story short, 1 week later Enhancer arrived, in good
condition, $1 shipping fee ($3 per package).

- Customer service hard to get a hold of, but helpful.
- Salespeople are EXCELLENT
  (I called one out of frustration over Cust.Serv line being busy.
   He said he would go into management offices to answer my questions
   if it was during hours { their doors were locked } !!)
- Packaging a bit below standard, but so is the price.

	This space would have been	|	Mike Davis
	LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK	|	ihnp4!ihlpm!jmdavis
	had I not written in it. 	|_________________________

klein@c10sd3.Comten.NCR.COM (Tony Klein) (05/02/88)

In article <738@savax.UUCP> thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) writes:
>In article <975@nuchat.UUCP> you write:
>>
>>Hello there, has anyone had any experiences with these mail order houses
>>or dealers?  I'm thinking about ordering some software from them and was
>>wondering if anyone has had any problems with them.  They are:
>>
>>MicroComputer Services (MCS), Go Amigo, Computer Mart, Computer Mail Order,
>>and S&S Wholesalers
>
>I wasn't going to post this but MCS has severelry angered me, and somebody
>asked.

 [ tale of woe deleted ]

I too ordered two software packages from MCS, was told one would ship and
one was backordered.   Two weeks later I got a postcard informing me that
the one that was supposed to ship was backordered.  (No mention of the other
one.)    I got anxious and called them to cancel.   Two weeks later one package
arrives.  I called back to arrange for UPS to pick it up and return it.
Months later it still has not been removed from my VISA.

MCS seems to index their records by date - they always ask `when did this
(fill in problem) happen?' then rifle through stacks of paper, doing a linear
search by date seeking a name (!?)  These guys need a computer ...

Go Amiga, on the other hand, is cool.  Fear not when ordering from them.
Fast, reliable, expert helpful assistance, they taketh back that which
doth not work.  Good dudes.

>|      Mark Thompson                                                     |
>|      decvax!savax!thompson       Designing high performance graphics   |
>|      (603)885-9229               silicon today for a better tomorrow.  |

Tony Klein                                            Tony.Klein@StPaul.NRC.COM
NCR Comten,Inc.                                     klein@c10cd3.StPaul.NCR.COM
2700 Snelling Ave. St.Paul, Mn. 55113 (612)638-7692

tws@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Thomas Sarver) (05/05/88)

In article <975@nuchat.UUCP> phillip@nuchat.UUCP (Phillip Keen) writes:
>Hello there, has anyone had any experiences with these mail order houses
> [...]
>MicroComputer Services (MCS), Go Amigo, Computer Mart, Computer Mail Order,
>and S&S Wholesalers

I highly recommend Go Amiga, I've always had fast service from them.  In
exceptional circumstances (an order impossible to fill, my credit card
maxxed, order not complying w/ invoice, I've had 'em all), I've had nothing
but the utmost in cooperation.  I've been trading with them for two years
and I've never had a problem a call to their toll free number couldn't fix.

(However, I don't like their system where you have write down your invoice
number when you make an order if you want to refer to it later.)

Highest commendations!

**FLAME ON***
One mail order to stay away from is Starflite Telemarketing.  In every issue
of AmigaWorld, they have an add stating they sell Starboard 2 2Mb for $510.
I ordered one w/ MFM and they said it would be $578.  I figured $68 for MFM.
Three weeks later I received it w/o MFM.  I called.  They said the ad was a
misprint, the 2M was $574 ($4 S&H).  That was over six mo.'s ago and Amiga
World is still running the same ad.  Don't blame Amiga World, Starflite
Telemarketing is not telling the truth.  Does ba*t & sw*tch come to mind.
Incidentally, my initial call was very pleasant talking with a female voice.
All subsequent calls (and there were many), were w/ very terse male voice(s).
So much for service after the sale.  They must have fired the pleasant one.
**FLAME OFF***

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
But hey, its the best country in the world!
Thomas W. Sarver

"The complexity of a system is proportional to the factorial of its atoms.  One
can only hope to minimize the complexity of the micro-system in which one
finds oneself."
	-TWS

Addendum: "... or migrate to a less complex micro-system."

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (05/06/88)

In article <15373@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> tws@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Thomas Sarver) writes:
>I highly recommend Go Amiga, I've always had fast service from them.

I also recommend them.  I have had nothing but good encounters with them.
I got my 2000 and 1080 from them with no problem.  They're really called
"Go Amigo" despite the fact that their toll free number spells "BE-AMIGA"
(Always wanted to know why that was---I guess 6446 was taken).  Their prices
are usually a little higher than other mail order places, but I know I
can *trust* them.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

okay@tafs.mitre.org (Okay S J) (10/25/89)

I tried to send this through Wai's return path, but the mailer kept barfing
on it...Apologies to those who already know the info contained in this msg.

>From: Wai Sze <wsze@aludra.usc.edu>
>Subject: Mail Order Companies

[Voices in his head deleted]
>budget)   Are Mail Order Companies, really good?  I mean, have you had
>bad experiences with any of them?  For example, I saw an Ad of a
>company called, Montgomery Grant, that advertised really cheap prices,
>so what is the catch?  How come Mail Order Companies can afford
>selling at such low prices?

NONONONONO!....while there are numerous reputable companies out there for
mail order, DO NOT (in large underscored, emphasized, emboldened,neonized
letters) order from Montgomery Grant.

In doing so you take the chance that you will
A. have to wait 7-12 weeks for your machine(even by credit card or
certified check.
B. get a reconditioned machine marked as new
C. get the wrong machine
D. get a broken or soon-to-fail machine
E. any of 6.02*10^23 other things you can imagine going wrong with a
computer.

MG can afford to offer such ridiculously low prices because they deal
primarily with grey-market machines.  After having lost their C= dealers
license because of massive customer complaints, they now have people
roaming around other mail-order houses trying to snarf Amigas and other
equipment to sell. Commodore is well aware of this tactic, and has told
their service centers/dealers to refuse warranty service to machines
bought thru MG because they can't be sure of whether the machine is new or
not.

Me?--I was also naive. I was fresh out of college and had only a few $$$ to
toss on my system, so MG was the only place I could really afford to get it
from. I ordered it in June, and 7 weeks and numerous angry phone calls
later(not to mention 3 different price quotes ranging from $559 to $1199
for the hard disk I wanted) I got my machine.  It is working, and has
worked reliably since I got it. I have been told by numerous people I am
lucky.
Bottom line: Pay the few extra $$ and get it from a reputable place like
Go Amigo!, CMO, or Computability. It'll mean one more month or
two on your Visa or Amex, but you'll be better off in the end.

Good luck,
Steve
---------
OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG
Disclaimer:This is not an endorsement of any particular mail order house,
just some friendly advice