[comp.sys.amiga] Can someone post the CrossDOS demo?

erd@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R Dicks) (10/03/89)

(Recently, Joel Swan wrote:)

>CrossDos comes with an mfm.device and you must mount your native Amiga
>drives using mounlist entries they provide.  In the mountlist, you
>use l:MSDOSFileSystem, which is also supplied.  CrossDos will make any of
>your drives (3 1/2", 5 1/4" or HD) read/write MSDOS, PCDOS, or Atari
>formated disks!

>CrossDos by Consultron
>11280 Parkview
>Plymouth, MI  48170
>313-459-7271

>Read-only demo version is available on PLINK and probably CI$.
>I don't work for Consultron, nor am I associated w/them in any way.
>I am only amazed at such a product, and by the incredible flexibility
>that the Amiga has. WOW!

Could someone post/e-mail this demo?  I talked to a gentleman at Consultron
this morning and he said that they charge $5 to send out the demo disk, but
postedd it to PLINK and CI$ for wide-spread distribution.  I would love to
try this product out!

>Joel E. Swan
>PLINK: Amiga*Joel
>CI$:   74746,3240

Thanks, Joel.

-ethan

-=-
Ethan R. Dicks       | ######  This signifies that the poster is a member in
Software Results Corp|   ##    good sitting of Inertia House: Bodies at rest.
940 Freeway Drive N. |   ##
Columbus OH    43229 | ######  "You get it, you're closer."

>>CrossDos comes with an mfm.device and you must mount your native Amiga

Can you un-mount it once it is mouunted?
If not, is it useful in a single floopy based system?
REAL NAME: Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu

waggoner@dtg.nsc.com (Mark Waggoner) (10/04/89)

In article <4836@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
>>>CrossDos comes with an mfm.device and you must mount your native Amiga
>

>Can you un-mount it once it is mouunted?
>If not, is it useful in a single floopy based system?
>REAL NAME: Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu

You don't NEED to unmount it, as you can still read regular AmigaDOS
floppys with the same drive.  You just reference DF0: instead of
DI0: or MSDOS: or whatever you have called the CrossDOS mount.

They do provide a 'kill' program to kill the device if you want to
reclaim the memory that the MSDOSFileSystem handler and, I suppose,
the mfm.device use.

So... YES, it is useful in a single floppy system, though you will
need some room on your system disk for mfm.device and the MSDOS
handler.

|  Mark Waggoner   (408) 721-6306           waggoner@dtg.nsc.com     |

In article <4836@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
>>>CrossDos comes with an mfm.device and you must mount your native Amiga
>

>Can you un-mount it once it is mouunted?
>If not, is it useful in a single floopy based system?
>REAL NAME: Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu

The neat thing about it is that the mounted device [I call mine B: ] is
available on the same physical device as is your amiga drive.
So you can put in an msdos disk in the drive and say DIR B: and get a listing
of the files on the msdos disk, take out that disk and put an amiga disk in
the same drive and say "DIR DF1:" and use it as an amiga disk drive.

So it should work on a single disk settup also, just mount it on the internal
drive, as whatever you want to call it.

I don't know if you can un-mount it once it is mounted, I never checked into it

Basically it is just another amiga device like DF0: DF1: PAR: SPEECH: PIPE: and
the others.

I will try to send a copy to Bob to post.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) (10/05/89)

In article <4836@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
>>>CrossDos comes with an mfm.device and you must mount your native Amiga
>Can you un-mount it once it is mouunted?
>If not, is it useful in a single floopy based system?

Yes, you can unmount it through a command called KILL.  But (even better) you
do not really need to!  Even though you've mounted the CrossDOS device, you
can still access the floppy drive as an Amiga floppy (OR as an MSDOS floppy).
That sounds confusing, so here's an example:

Assume you've decided to use CrossDOS to allow you to access df0: as an MS-DOS
 drive called (hmm, lets be original...) A:.  Assume you've mounted it.

Stick an MSDOS floppy into the internal drive.
You can access the MS-DOS filesystem on A:
Now remove the MS-DOS disk, and replace it with an AmigaDOS disk.
You can access the AmigaDOS filesystem on (the same physical drive) df0:

NEAT!

I just purchased the commercial version (read/write) from Abel Supply for
$17.75.  I'm very happy with the product.

John Lindwall                            johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
           "Above opinions are my own, not my employer's"
             Today is the last day of your life so far.

migh@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6561110~Mike Hall~C24~M26a~6029~) (10/05/89)

>>CrossDos comes with an mfm.device and you must mount your native Amiga

> Can you un-mount it once it is mouunted?
> If not, is it useful in a single floopy based system?
> REAL NAME: Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu

Yes, you can unmount it, but you don't really have to.
Yes, it is useful in a one-floppy system.  What we get is two ways to
access the same physical drive.  I call my "CrossDos" drive "A:" (real
unique, huh?), and the AmigaDOS name is still "df0:".  Pop in an AmigaDOS
disk and "dir df0:".  Pop it out, put in an MS/DOS disk and "dir A:".
Switch back and forth between the two.  "Info" gets interesting - it will
say one (df0: or A:) is "not a DOS disk", and report good information for
the other.

If you really want to "unload" most of the CrossDos handler, there _is_ a
"Kill" program.  It leaves a little bit of memory behind (<100 bytes I think),
though.

I think the cost was only $33 (with postage, direct from Consultron), and
I think it's nifty as heck - _this_ is what the Amiga can do!  Alternate
file systems, separating the file system from the DOS and from the drive!
.
The demo versions have made it to some "local" bulletin boards.  I think both
the Lattice and Safe Harbor BBS's have it.  It's neat, and I'd almost suggest
not bothering with the read-only version (that's the "demo" - fully functional,
but read-only), and go right for the R/W version.

Leonard Poma (I think that's his name) is responsive to the cockpit problems
I've had, and has heard about the bugs I've run into.  The latest release is
3.05B, which arrived last week when I was in Maine.  It'll get installed
tonight (but I'd still rather be in Maine! :-)

Mike Hall	att!cuuxb!migh

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (10/05/89)

In Message <64337@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, (Ethan R Dicks) writes:

>Could someone post/e-mail this demo?  I talked to a gentleman at Consultron
>this morning and he said that they charge $5 to send out the demo disk, but
>postedd it to PLINK and CI$ for wide-spread distribution.  I would love to
>try this product out!

    Its available on Berks Amiga BBS for only the phone costs (if any).

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (10/05/89)

In article <64337@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, erd@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R Dicks) writes:

> Could someone post/e-mail this demo?

It is on Fish disk 240.  Fish 240 is now available by ftp
anonymous from uihub.cs.uiuc.edu

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.[bitnet]
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

In article <524@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) writes:
> Stick an MSDOS floppy into the internal drive.
> You can access the MS-DOS filesystem on A:
> Now remove the MS-DOS disk, and replace it with an AmigaDOS disk.
> You can access the AmigaDOS filesystem on (the same physical drive) df0:

What happens if you stick an MS-DOS diskette in and try to access df0:?

What happens if you say "copy df0: a: all"?
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`

terry@helios (Terry Ricketts) (10/06/89)

CrossDoss is available via FTP from Xanth.cs.odu.edu (128.82.8.1). I saw it
there yesterday.

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (10/07/89)

In article <4836@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
:>>CrossDos comes with an mfm.device and you must mount your native Amiga
:
:
:Can you un-mount it once it is mouunted?
:If not, is it useful in a single floopy based system?
:REAL NAME: Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu

As I mentioned, the drive is useable by both the AmigaDOS and MS-DOS at
the SAME time.  You can pop in either format and keep going.
So, yes, one drive will work.
Still, there is a utility included with the package that "unmounts" the
device to free up some memory.  The authors however recommend not using it
since it may cause problems.

Joel Swan
(machine's down- no sig file)

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (10/09/89)

In article <4285@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
:In article <524@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) writes:
:> Stick an MSDOS floppy into the internal drive.
:> You can access the MS-DOS filesystem on A:
:> Now remove the MS-DOS disk, and replace it with an AmigaDOS disk.
:> You can access the AmigaDOS filesystem on (the same physical drive) df0:
:
:What happens if you stick an MS-DOS diskette in and try to access df0:?

You get a "NOT A DOS DISK" system requester.  WB shows a df0:BAD icon and
a "FOO LABEL" at the same time.  There are no irritating "NOT A DOS DISK IN
UNIT 0" system requesters when you pop an MSDOS or ATARI disk into the
drive.

:
:What happens if you say "copy df0: a: all"?

Once again you get a "NOT A DOS DISK" system requester because you're
attempting to manipulate a non-AmigaDOS disk.  I suppose you'd need to
do a copy df1: a: all or copy df0: ram: and copy ram: a:.

:--
:Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
:...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`
:``Back off dude! I'm a topologist!''
:	-- Andrew Molitor <amolitor@eagle.wesleyan.edu>

My big complaint about CrossDOS at this point is the way it turns the
Amiga into a pot of molasses while you format|copy|read an MSDOS disk.
The thing really eats CPU cycles or something.
Would this be because the 68000 is doing all the MFM encoding whereas
the amiga uses one of the special chips (blitter?) to do it's encoding?
(just a wild guess here)

Joel Swan
(HD still down- no .sig)

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (10/10/89)

In article <4836@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
>>>CrossDos comes with an mfm.device and you must mount your native Amiga
>

>Can you un-mount it once it is mouunted?
>If not, is it useful in a single floopy based system?
>REAL NAME: Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu

No, you can't "un-mount" it. However, there is no need to. You can
access both the PC device (Mine are PC0: & PC1:) AND the Amiga device.

On a one drive system, your applications can access the PC drive,
say:  cd ram:
      arc -x pc0:pcfile.arc

If you want to copy a file from a PC disk to an Amiga disk, on a 1
disk system, you will have to copy to RAM: first.
ex:    copy pc0:myfile.dat ram:myfile.dat
       (Remove PC disk, insert Amiga disk)
       copy ram:myfile.dat df0:myfile.dat

Works great!!!
--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (10/21/89)

In Msg-ID: <1805@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US>, swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US
 Joel Swan writes:

| I've posted the CrossDos demo to alt.sources.amiga.
| [stuff deleted]
| Has it made it to  most of the sites, or only a few?

    Haven't seen it come by here yet.

| Oh, I also posted LHARC.  Sorry, I can't find ANY sources to LHARC.

    When I first got LHarc, it seemed to me this was a program
  crying for optimization. It compresses like a hot damn,
  but it is so slow. I looked around local boards & found some
  IBM source in C & asssembly (Version 1.13c). This is direct
  from Japan I believe. I decided I was _not_ going to learn
  80x86 assembly to port the program.
    Does anybody know another address for the Amiga LHarc author,
  Paolo Zibetti (FidoNet 2:331/101.6)? It would worthwhile to get
  this source out.
    For that matter, does anybody understand the algorithm? I have
  heard it described as modified LZW-Huffman encoding.

  <-Harvey

  "And as he talks his dreams to sleep,
       you notice there is a highway,
          that is curling just like smoke above his shoulder"
                                                 -L.Cohen
      Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
       uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
               a186@mindlink.UUCP

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (10/22/89)

I've posted the CrossDos demo to alt.sources.amiga.  The size was around
96K.  There have been a few responses (mainly asking for LHARC so they could
de-compress the file).  Has it made it to most of the sites, or only a few?

Oh, I also posted LHARC.  Sorry, I can't find ANY sources to LHARC.

Joel

raz%kilowatt@Sun.COM (Steve -Raz- Berry) (10/23/89)

In article <1805@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.UUCP (Joel Swan) writes:
>I've posted the CrossDos demo to alt.sources.amiga.  The size was around
>96K.  There have been a few responses (mainly asking for LHARC so they could
>de-compress the file).  Has it made it to most of the sites, or only a few?

>Oh, I also posted LHARC.  Sorry, I can't find ANY sources to LHARC.

Both of these programs are available on the Kilowatt archive server,
address below.

I think I ought to mention though that alt.sources.amiga is for source only.
Posting binaries there will only force some people to stop subscribing to the
group. This shouldn't be a problem though, cause we have a 'new and improved'
moderator - Bob Page (page%swap@sun.com) and you should be sending all your
amiga stuff to him.

>Joel

---
Steve -Raz- Berry     Disclaimer: It wasn't me! I was volatilizing my esters.
UUCP: sun!kilowatt!raz                   ARPA: raz%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com
KILOWATT: sun!kilowatt!archive-server    archive-server%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com

poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier) (10/25/89)

In article <1805@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.UUCP (Joel Swan) writes:
>I've posted the CrossDos demo to alt.sources.amiga.  The size was around
>96K....

There used to be a Usenet convention that postings larger than 64K bytes
should be split up.  I forget the reason -- possibly that larger files
are truncated to 64K?  Does anyone know if this is still a problem?

	Just checking,
	Charles Poirier

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (10/25/89)

In article <2089@xyzzy.UUCP> poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier) writes:
   There used to be a Usenet convention that postings larger than 64K bytes
   should be split up.  I forget the reason -- possibly that larger files
   are truncated to 64K?  Does anyone know if this is still a problem?

It may no longer be a problem, but it's still a reasonable
self-limitation.

Occasionally news is carried over uucp-based mail links, which are
often limited to 100k (some sites have lowered this to 64k).
Traditional news links (and nntp links) have no such limit.

However, not all sites are UNIX based, and 64k is a managable chunk of
data, while 200k (etc.) may not be.  Use your own discretion...

	...tad