[comp.sys.amiga] FFS & Floppies

okay@tafs.mitre.org (Okay S J) (10/25/89)

>From: Jim Sanchez <jim@syteke.be>
>Subject: Re: Using FFS on floppies
>To: amiga-relay@udel.edu
>
>I would like to know as well.  I KNOW it was posted ages ago but I didn't
>save it at the time.

Don't you just specify FFS as one of the options as part of the format
command?
As in:
FORMAT DRIVE DF0: NAME MYDISK FFS ?

Right?
----Steve
-------------
OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG
Disclaimer:Mine...Mine minemineminemineminemine!

In article <2455@nigel.udel.EDU> okay@tafs.mitre.org (Okay S J) writes:
->>From: Jim Sanchez <jim@syteke.be>
->>Subject: Re: Using FFS on floppies
->>To: amiga-relay@udel.edu
->>
->>I would like to know as well.  I KNOW it was posted ages ago but I didn't
->>save it at the time.
->
->As in:
->FORMAT DRIVE DF0: NAME MYDISK FFS ?

Nope, format is to smart for that :-)

You need to make a DEVS:MountList entry for XYZ: and have it
point at the trackdisk.device (unit #0,1,2, or 3 for df0,1,2,3)
Look at a sample FFS mountlist in the 1.3docs, and change the
HiCyl to 79, LOWCYL to 0 #heads=2, and I think there is
something like "blockpertrack" which should be 11.
Remember to set the Dos Type to the magic ffs number.

Then you can say "format drive XYZ: name blankdisk".

I have tried this and to my suprise an FFS floppy worked
slower than an OFS. I have not much memory and so I could not expend
much for "AddBuffers".

I am not sure if a DiskChange XYZ: would make things be ok, but
it probly would.
 Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu