[comp.sys.amiga] User Networks

moynihan_r@apollo.COM (Robert Moynihan) (10/19/89)

-

Okay, I finally did it.  Last week I purchased an Amiga 500 with a
few assorted extras: RAM upgrade, extra 3.5" disk, printer, & modem.

What I want to do now is join some kind of bulletin board or other
sort of network.  Compuserve is the only one I can think of off the
top of my head, I'm sure there are others.  I also wouldn't mind
considering some way to get into internet from home.  Portal comes
to mind here, is Portal nationwide, or limited to a specific area?

Anyway, my fellow Amigites, I seek your help.  If you use Compuserve,
Portal, or anything similar to interface with some nationwide (or
even New England area) network, let me know what you use, what you
think of it, what you get out of it, how to join, and how much it
costs.

If you know of any I should avoid like the plague, I'm interested
in hearing that too.

Thanks in advance for your help.  Is anyone going to say "Welcome
to the club?"

Bob

============================///====================================
moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com   /// LaForge: "Fifty? You were bluffing!"
Hewlett-Packard Co.    \\\///     Worf: "Klingons never bluff."
Apollo Systems Division \XX/   LaForge: "Yeah, right."

magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM (Darrin A. Hyrup) (10/22/89)

In message <46522e61.d3a6@apollo.COM> Robert Moynihan <moynihan_r@apollo.COM> writes:
>What I want to do now is join some kind of bulletin board or other
>sort of network.  Compuserve is the only one I can think of off the
>top of my head, I'm sure there are others.  I also wouldn't mind...

GEnie is my current network of choice. In general its faster, and for the
most part has just as much information available as does CompuServe.
Besides that its a LOT less expensive per hour.  Another choice might be
BIX (Byte Information Exchange) which Commodore uses to directly support
developers and users. There are plenty out there! Delphi, Portal, Quantum,
Prodigy, and many more. One I think will be a real up and comer soon is a
network called "Summit". It offers a multitasking user interface (so you
can like read a BB section and be downloading and uploading in other
windows, with one modem! I believe you can use 4 windows simultaneously via
some type of software controlled X.25 or something (Similiar to Matt
Dillon's DNET)).

>think of it, what you get out of it, how to join, and how much it
>costs.

For GEnie you call up a local node and sign up online. You need a special
ID and password which are generally available in many magazines, or I might
be able to dig one up too.  I signed up a long time ago, but I think its a
$25 subscription fee, which gives you a manual and a few hours of non-prime
time usage credit. Rates are (for non-prime time):

    300 baud  $5/hr
   1200 baud  $6/hr
   2400 baud  $10/hr (I think?)

Prime time charges a $10/hr surcharge to those numbers, or something like
that.

For BIX you can sign up over Tymnet. Call your local Tymnet node, and type
`BIX' when it asks for the service. Then type `new' when BIX asks for your
username. From there it prompts you for everything.

Prodigy costs $9.95 a month for flate rate useage, and they have been
sending out flyers all over the place for new subscriptions. Beyond that, I
have no idea how to find subscription information.

For the others, I don't have any idea. But you might check out one of the
books or magazines about online services that many bookshops carry. They
usually have all the subscription info.

>If you know of any I should avoid like the plague, I'm interested
>in hearing that too.

I haven't heard anything good about Prodigy, in fact I've heard some open
complaints about them. Considering you (presently) need a Mac or IBM to use
their interface, you don't need to worry about it.

>Bob

Hope that helps.

				Darrin
--
Darrin A. Hyrup 	     // AMIGA Enthusiast	 rencon!esfenn!dah
magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM   \X/ & Software Developer   pacbell!sorinc!magik

This may be considered a commercial by some, but information was asked for and
I am giving it. I would have used Email, but I think that the info might be of
general interest to others. I will keep it short.

>In message <46522e61.d3a6@apollo.COM> Robert Moynihan <moynihan_r@apollo.COM>
writes:
>>What I want to do now is join some kind of bulletin board or other
>>sort of network.  Compuserve is the only one I can think of off the
>>top of my head, I'm sure there are others.  I also wouldn't mind...

If you don't mind calling long distance, you might want to check out our
information system: DISK (Digital Information Systems of Kentucky)

Features: 6 phone lines. 24 hour access. Personal account and password.
Online multi-player games. Full Usenet News and Email access. Download SIGs for
most major computers (we have about 15 megs for Amiga at present). Multi-user
chat program (like the CIS 'CB simulator').

Inexpensive: Our rates range from $1 an hour for the timed account and from
$9.95 up to $24.95 a month for our flat rate accounts.

The phone number is in my signature. call and we'll give you a free 3 hour
account. Login as 'demo' press return when asked for a password.

We are trying to support Amiga as much as possible. If we can get DNET working
with SYS V, we will offer it for use with our system and our member's Amigas.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
Help fight continental drift.