[comp.sys.amiga] Communications w/ Comspec

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (10/23/89)

I've been trying to get in touch with Comspec Communications in
Toronto, Canada.  I can call them Ok, and my letters cheerfully
head north, but I never seem to get anything back from them.

Has anyone had any dealings with them directly?  Have they seemed
responsive?  I really want to buy a SCSI controller from them for
my A1000, but I can't get anything back from them in the mail.

Any comments would be welcome.
--Todd (still looking for a hard disk) Lewis

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (10/24/89)

In article <1989Oct23.142435.20216@uncecs.edu> utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) writes:

>I've been trying to get in touch with Comspec Communications in
>Toronto, Canada.  I can call them Ok, and my letters cheerfully
> [...]
>responsive?  I really want to buy a SCSI controller from them for
>my A1000, but I can't get anything back from them in the mail.
>
>Any comments would be welcome.
>--Todd (still looking for a hard disk) Lewis

When I was living in Ottawa this summer I phoned them on a few occassions
and had no problem at all getting through and talking to people.  However,
you may not be happy to hear what I found out.  They are no longer making
any of there A1000 memory boards or controllers.  If you REALLY want one,
they will make it for you, but it will cost you extra $$.  Maybe that won't
be so bad since your American money is worth more up here, but for me, as
I recall, the price of a ram board was almost twice the price of the next
guy.  Mind you, there products are of superior quality and I would pay more
for one, but not THAT much more.
--
+ Alan W. McKay       +  VOICE: (902) 542-1565                        +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +

markv@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mark VanMeeter) (10/25/89)

> I've been trying to get in touch with Comspec Communications in
> Toronto, Canada.  I can call them Ok, and my letters cheerfully
> head north, but I never seem to get anything back from them.
>
> Has anyone had any dealings with them directly?  Have they seemed
> responsive?  I really want to buy a SCSI controller from them for
> my A1000, but I can't get anything back from them in the mail.
>
> Any comments would be welcome.
> --Todd (still looking for a hard disk) Lewis

I received my A1000 SCSI controller from Comspec a couple of weeks ago.  I
first had to send them a letter authorizing them to charge it to my credit
card number.  For some reason, they couldn't take this over the phone.
About 2-3 weeks later, it arrived.  They told me it takes this long because
they make them only as ordered.

Why don't you call them to see if they got your order?
Comspec - (416) 785-3553

* warning *

I originally tried to order this controller from a mail order firm called
Computer Discount.  After more than 6 weeks of phoning and waiting I finally
got in touch with Comspec directly who told me that the orders that were
to go to Computer Discount had been sitting on a shelf for weeks because they
hadn't been paid!  I quickly cancelled my order with Computer Discount and
ordered directly from Comspec.  I got my order a few weeks later, and
for about $75.00 less than the mail order price.

----
Mark VanMeeter

ARPANET  : markv%hpmwtd@hplabs.hp.com
UUCP     : ...hplabs!hpmwtd!markv

root@comspec.UUCP (Super user) (10/26/89)

Todd: I am very sorry that you have not received a reply to the letters that
you sent up here.  I have checked with sales and they have no record of
receiving them.  I do not know why they have not arrived here but I would like
to asure you that our customers are very important to us and I apologize for
any inconvenience this has caused you.

Our proper mailing address is:
        Comspec
        74 Wingold Ave
        Toronto, Ontario Canada M6B 1P5

        Voice (416) 785 - 3553
        Fax   (416) 785 - 3668

        UUNET : ...!uunet!mnetor!becker!comspec!rick   -or- rick@comspec
            (I will forward any email to the proper person)

I am not sure as to the content of your letters but as far as the SCSI
controller for the A1000 goes - they are still available, although they are
only being built on demand.

If possible please email me a copy of your letter.

Rick McCalla