[comp.sys.amiga] Non-Real-Time Video?

gl8f@astsun9.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (10/23/89)

I don't read this group regularily, so please respond via email. I'd
be happy to mail copies to other interested parties.

I'd like to get a cheap system to shoot video tape of numerical
simulations that I'm doing. The critera are that it should cost the
least amount of money, and should be able to make videos at the
maximum resolution a TV will display with lots and lots of colors. I
don't need the capability of adding in other video signals.

What's the cheapest way of doing this with an Amiga? I want to shoot
things as long as 10 minutes, so there's no way to store enough info
on the Amiga itself. I don't want to fork out major $$ for a big
drive. So I figured I'd need to be able to generate the frames in
non-real time -- transmit frames over a serial line (I don't care if
it takes all day to make a 10 minute video) and lay them on tape (or
perhaps videodisk and copy to tape later?) frame by frame. Can I do
that with a (cheap) vcr?

Remember, cost is the major object. Thanks in advance!

------
Greg Lindahl
gl8f@virginia.edu                                             I'm not the NRA.

jonson@opus.megatek.uucp (Henrik Jonson) (10/26/89)

In article <2159@hudson.acc.virginia.edu> gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
>I'd like to get a cheap system to shoot video tape of numerical
>simulations that I'm doing. The critera are that it should cost the
>least amount of money, .....
> ... So I figured I'd need to be able to generate
>the frames in non-real time -- ....
>... with a (cheap) vcr?
>Greg Lindahl gl8f@virginia.edu

Apologies to all for for the bandwitdh - unable to contact Greg L. via e-mail.

To Greg L:
"Me too" - I'm very interested in the same method, "cheap", non-real time
image generation with later VTR recording, but a novice in the field.
If possible, either post or copy me on valuable feedback.
Thanks.

gl8f@astsun8.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (10/26/89)

!
!Apologies to all for for the bandwitdh - unable to contact Greg L. via e-mail.
!
!I'm very interested in the same method, "cheap", non-real time
!image generation with later VTR recording, but a novice in the field.
!If possible, either post or copy me on valuable feedback.

No replies so far. I've had another "Me too request", however. I would just
go to my local dealer and work with them, but this will gave to go out
for bid and I'm not buying for 6+ months and it is a small purchase,
so the dealer won't be so happy to respond. I'm hoping someone here
will take 5 minutes to write me a letter.

------