[comp.sys.amiga] VLT Question- What is the latest version? Where can I get it?

II70038@MAINE.BITNET (Jonathan Kimball) (10/21/89)

I am now using VLT V3.649.  Am I up to date on this terminal emulation
program, or is there a newer version that I could get?  (I don't know
how old this one is.)

If there is a better version where (on BITNET) can I get it?

Thanks,

Jonathan Kimball
II70038 at MAINE.BITNET

jellson@stsusa.com (10/21/89)

In article <2113II70038@MAINE>, II70038@MAINE.BITNET (Jonathan Kimball) writes:
> I am now using VLT V3.649.  Am I up to date on this terminal emulation
> program, or is there a newer version that I could get?

I just obtained "vlt4p226.zoo" from BIX amiga/listings.  The author of VLT,
Willy Langeveld, is a moderator on BIX so the latest versions of VLT seem to
appear there first.

Latest version has review buffers and ANSI color support.  Also available
is "vlt4j226.zoo" which is a "junior" version for those who don't need
Tektronix graphics emulation.

Sorry but I am unable to help you get the file on Bitnet.

(Does anybody know what VLT stands for?  "V"illy Langeveld's Terminal perhaps?)
John Ellson     //     ellson@ontap.stsusa.com     //     602-395-5281
Siemens Transmission Systems, Inc., 8620 North 22nd Avenue, Phoenix AZ 85021

valentin@cbmvax.UUCP (Valentin Pepelea) (10/26/89)

In article <4137@stsusa.com> jellson@stsusa.com writes:

>Sorry but I am unable to help you get the file on Bitnet.

In order to send a file over to Bitnet, mail to uunet!computer!user. Uunet
knows everything about Internet addresses. In the above case, you would be
mailing to uunet!maine!II700xx.

>John Ellson     //     ellson@ontap.stsusa.com     //     602-395-5281

Valentin
--
"An  operating  system  without        Name:    Valentin Pepelea
 virtual memory is an operating        Phone:   (215) 431-9100

jellson@stsusa.com (10/26/89)

In article <8274@cbmvax.UUCP>, valentin@cbmvax.UUCP (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
> In article <4137@stsusa.com> jellson@stsusa.com writes:
>
>>Sorry but I am unable to help you get the file on Bitnet.
>
> In order to send a file over to Bitnet, mail to uunet!computer!user. Uunet
> knows everything about Internet addresses. In the above case, you would be
> mailing to uunet!maine!II700xx.
>
>>John Ellson     //     ellson@ontap.stsusa.com     //     602-395-5281
>
> Valentin
> --
> "An  operating  system  without        Name:    Valentin Pepelea
>  virtual memory is an operating        Phone:   (215) 431-9100
>  system without virtue."               Usenet:  uunet!cbmvax!valentin
>                                        Bitnet:  cbmvax!valentin@uunet.uu.net
>          - Ancient Inca Proverb        Claimer: these aren't Commodore thoughts
--

Thanks Valentin for the hints about how to send mail to Bitnet addresses.

Actually, the main reason that I was unable to send the file to this user
was because I don't have the file on my work machine; only on my Amiga at home
and I don't have uucp on it yet.

Also I really can't afford the time to get into the software
distribution business, particularly when this software is publically
available elsewhere.  I am sorry if that sounds mean but I have learned
that I can easily spend whole evenings zooing/uuencoding/zmodeming files for
single users.

If there are many people on UseNet/BitNet that are having trouble getting
software like this then perhaps Commodore would like to provide an
archiving and distribution service for Amiga software?  Something like
Digital Equipment does with DECUS?