[comp.sys.amiga] profiler?

rogers@iris.ucdavis.edu (Brewski Rogers) (10/03/89)

	For the program I am working on, it is critical for me to find
out how long a few functions take to execute in relation to the rest,
so I can find out what's eating up the most cpu time. Is there some sort
of program to do this? I thought I heard some mention of this in the past.
(The code is in Aztec)
thanks much -

------------------------------------------------------          Quantum _\/_
2727 Eel                   Bruce (6502 RULES!) Rogers        |\  Duck  ( 0 0)
Davis, Ca 95616            Quantum Duck Software,           |\ \______/ / \\\
916-756-2684               rogers@iris.ucdavis.edu         |\ <  <     |   \/
"It's better to be the real thing than the right thing."     \________/  Quark!

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (10/03/89)

In article <5470@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> rogers@iris.ucdavis.edu (Brewski Rogers) writes:
>	For the program I am working on, it is critical for me to find
>out how long a few functions take to execute in relation to the rest,
>so I can find out what's eating up the most cpu time. Is there some sort
>of program to do this? I thought I heard some mention of this in the past.
>(The code is in Aztec)

Well...perfect.  There's a profiler written by Tom Rockiki (sp?) that does
exactly this.  It not only runs under Aztec but was shipped as a part of
Aztec 3.2, 3.4 and 3.6.  Have a look on your distribution disks -- I bet
it's on there.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that
-- 			 flags do not wave in a vacuum."  -- Arthur C. Clarke

space@ncc1701.UUCP (Lars Soltau) (10/05/89)

In article <5470@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> rogers@iris.ucdavis.edu (Brewski Rogers) writes:

>       For the program I am working on, it is critical for me to find
>out how long a few functions take to execute in relation to the rest,
>so I can find out what's eating up the most cpu time. Is there some sort
>of program to do this?

There is a profiler from Radial Eye Software (Tomas Rokicki) for Aztec
Code which replaces all link and unlink ops which denote function entry
and exit points with calls to its own counting routines.

Works fine for me, with both 3.4 and 3.6, and is available on Fish #48
(yes, it's quite old, but still up to date).

--
Lars Soltau     bang: ...uunet!unido!nadia!ncc1701!space    BIX: --no bucks--
                smart: ncc1701!space@nadia.UUCP

toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) (10/26/89)

>In article <5470@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> rogers@iris.ucdavis.edu (Brewski Rogers) writes:
>
>       For the program I am working on, it is critical for me to find
>out how long a few functions take to execute in relation to the rest,
>so I can find out what's eating up the most cpu time. Is there some sort
>of program to do this?

Lattice 5.x includes a profiler LPROF/LSTAT with the package to do exactly
what you want.  It will report down to the line number where your code is
spending the most time.  The 5.04 update includes an option on LPROF to
control the rate of sampling.  Note that the profiler also works to the
source line with Asm stuff that has line number information (supported by
CAPE and the Lattice Assembler).

/*---------------------All standard Disclaimers apply---------------------*/
/*----Working for but not officially representing SAS or Lattice Inc.-----*/
/*----John A. Toebes, VIII             usenet:...!mcnc!rti!sas!toebes-----*/