[comp.sys.amiga] New Amiga Brochure

tommcc@microsoft.UUCP (Tom McConnell) (10/19/89)

I just happen to stop by the local Software Etc. boutique, and lo and
behold I found a brand spanking new Amiga brochure.  It is  _slick_!
(or at least much slicker than anything commodore has _ever_ done for
the amiga!)

The front page says:

	REMEMBER?
	Computers (the Personal kind) were going to set the world on
fire. You were going to be able to attach them directly to your brain,
to your emotions, and fly.
	Well, it's happening. Finally. And the one that's doing it, the
Amiga, has a passionate following, not surprisingly.
	Brain surgeons, musicians, writers, artists, video/graphics
designers, astronomers- in other words, people who need computers
to express search, capture, embody, to explore concepts, and who
don't want to wait another 50 years to do so- have found the AMIGA.
And the Amiga has found them.

			You are Next.

---

The next 12 pages are filled with personal examples of how people
are actually using the amiga to be more productive, creative, etc.

The back page has pictures of amiga products, the 500, 1084 monitor,
HP Paint Jet printer (!!), Commodore MPS printer, A590, 1680 modem, A501 mem
expansion.

I found it rather interesting that they were with it enough to advertise the
HP paintjet printer. I wonder if they got HP to chip in for the cost of the
brochure? :-)	I also found it interseting to note that there was no
mention of the 2000, the bridgecard or anything like that. Just the 500
on it's own merits.

Anyway, go and check it out. Already the brochure was enough to really
get the attention of some friends of mine who were only kinda leaning to
the amiga.  It sounds like they are going to buy now.

I think this ad campaign is really going to make a splash.

--
"Hey COW!"  _____________((      "My employer couldn't care less about cows..."
           /       **    o \    ______     __________________________

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (10/24/89)

In article <8110@microsoft.UUCP> tommcc@microsoft.UUCP (Tom McConnell) writes:

>I just happen to stop by the local Software Etc. boutique, and lo and
>behold I found a brand spanking new Amiga brochure.  It is  _slick_!
>(or at least much slicker than anything commodore has _ever_ done for
>the amiga!)

<description of the pamphlet deleted>

I was in Software ETC. yesterday, and they had an Amiga Video running.
It was very slick also. It resolved around an "interview" with Chuck
Berry (whom they called a 'Jazz Guitarist'). Chuck pointed out all the
great things about an Amiga, and how he uses it to "write" music.
They showed someone using DMCS.

During the interview, they would cut to someone in the "real world"
that was singing praises about the Amiga. They showed an Artist, a
guy (educator?) from Ohio State University, a Video Producer, etc.

I didn't see the entier promo, but my initial impressions were:

 - They did a good all-round presentation of the Amiga's abilities.
 - They only showed Amiga 2000/2500's. There may have been a 500
   in the first part of the promo that I missed.
 - Chuck Berry came off that the Amiga is wonderfull because " A dumb
   guy like me can use it". It was a bit demeaning, if you ask me.

All in all, it's a good tape, and I hope that it gets alot of play in
the store. It's places like Software ETC. that new Amiga converts
will come from. The people that shop in these type of "Mall Computer
stores" that aren't yet biggoted towards IBM. They just don't know mem
about the Amiga (Yet).

Also, the sales person at the store owns an Amiga. he said that Software
ETC. is trying to get Amiga Knowledgable people in all of it's stores.

--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

msiskin@shogun.us.cc.umich.edu (Marc Siskin) (10/24/89)

In article <33Eq02wy63X=01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dwl10@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:

<Stuff Deleted>

>I was in Software ETC. yesterday, and they had an Amiga Video running.
>It was very slick also. It resolved around an "interview" with Chuck
>Berry (whom they called a 'Jazz Guitarist').

Good reason to call the performer a Jazz Guitarist since he was B.B. King not
Chuck Berry.

>Chuck pointed out all the
 ^^^^^  Should read B.B.

>great things about an Amiga, and how he uses it to "write" music.
>They showed someone using DMCS.
>
>During the interview, they would cut to someone in the "real world"
>that was singing praises about the Amiga. They showed an Artist, a
>guy (educator?) from Ohio State University, a Video Producer, etc.
>
>I didn't see the entier promo, but my initial impressions were:
>
> - They did a good all-round presentation of the Amiga's abilities.
> - They only showed Amiga 2000/2500's. There may have been a 500
>   in the first part of the promo that I missed.
> - Chuck Berry came off that the Amiga is wonderfull because " A dumb
    ^^^^^ ^^^^^ Again B.B. King
>   guy like me can use it". It was a bit demeaning, if you ask me.
>
>All in all, it's a good tape, and I hope that it gets alot of play in
>the store. It's places like Software ETC. that new Amiga converts
>will come from. The people that shop in these type of "Mall Computer
>stores" that aren't yet biggoted towards IBM. They just don't know mem
>about the Amiga (Yet).
>
>Also, the sales person at the store owns an Amiga. he said that Software
>ETC. is trying to get Amiga Knowledgable people in all of it's stores.
>
>--
>"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
> for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
>                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
>   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

  The Local Software Boutique store has gotten at least a dozen requests for
information about where to get an AMiga.  This from about 10 ads on local
TV.  Even though the ads are not really technical (no talk about MHZ or Multi-
tasking or Megabytes) they do show the Amiga doing work.  Not being used to
play video games.  They also show the Amiga as a fun computer to use.

    Marc Siskin
    Msiskin@shogun.us.cc.umich.edu
    USERhebe@umichub

unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Regional Support) (10/25/89)

In article <33Eq02wy63X=01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dwl10@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:
$In article <8110@microsoft.UUCP> tommcc@microsoft.UUCP (Tom McConnell) writes:
$>
$>
$
$I was in Software ETC. yesterday, and they had an Amiga Video running.
$It was very slick also. It resolved around an "interview" with Chuck
$Berry (whom they called a 'Jazz Guitarist'). Chuck pointed out all the
$great things about an Amiga, and how he uses it to "write" music.
$They showed someone using DMCS.
$
I guess there are people out there that didnt grow up listening to
BB King.  There are no C= anything with Chuck Berry in them the man you
are referring to is BB King who is a Jazz Guitarist. He also had Lucile
his Guitar in the background to his le.  I was there at the filming of BB's
segment and he his a great supporter of the Amiga and really likes it.

$During the interview, they would cut to someone in the "real world"
$that was singing praises about the Amiga. They showed an Artist, a
$guy (educator?) from Ohio State University, a Video Producer, etc.

$I didn't see the entier promo, but my initial impressions were:
$
$ - They did a good all-round presentation of the Amiga's abilities.
$   in the first part of the promo that I missed.
$ - Chuck Berry came off that the Amiga is wonderfull because " A dumb
$   guy like me can use it". It was a bit demeaning, if you ask me.

If you watch the tape in its entirety you will see that the emphasis is
not placed on anyone being dumb but rather that a neophyte can use the
Amiga without becoming a computer scientist which in my opinion we need to see
more about.  BB King really does like the Amiga, he purchased an A1000 from
a dealer and has been very happy with what he does with it.
As to the artist his name is Rick Probst and he is one of the Amiga's
staunchest supporters as well as one of the best Broadcast artist/animators
there is.  He is responsible for Three men and a baby, DOA, Good morning Vietnam
and a host of other trailers we all see everyday.  He is also the creator of the
graphics for the Girl Next Door C= Commercial that is out.  The educator is
Kevin Reagh from OHIO state an educator that I feel should be emulated
everywhere at art and media teaching institutions.  He is directly responsible
for the Amigas progress as an art workstation at OHIO State and the connection
of the Amiga to the Cray at same.
$

Not a flame just gettin the facts straight.

--
******* Rick Unland	Commodore Business Machines ****************************
*	Usenet: uunet!cbmvax!unland  ARPA: cbmvax!unland!@uunet.UU.NET         *

pete@i-core.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) (10/27/89)

Actually, its not Chuck Berry, but B.B. King.  The video is really
quite good, sort of like a video version of the print ads.  I don't
know why they aren't running any of those on TV.