[comp.sys.amiga] The commercials....

CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) (10/18/89)

I can't help but wonder if the people that came up with the
advertizement package for the amiga really use the thing....

YES i know that lucasfilm supposedly helped out.... but
these things simply make the amiga llok like yet another toy to
purchase for the kids.... nothing to show the professional
capabilities of the amiga.... in other words, nothing like the
professionally targeted ads that Apple is doing  or the admittedly
goofy "PS/2 it..." business ads that IBM is doing....

Of course maybe part of the reason that I'm so cynical, is that
after I saw the first ad, i flipped the channel to watch Ted Koppel
break in with the earthqueake story...
and as I watched through the evening as the networks switched from
stories of human suffering to do their evening quota of normally
moronic ads for coffee, feminine hygine products, and beer...

serious cynisism here folks....

(flame off)

JpC
Jonathan P. Crone    CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET      cronejp@mcl.UUCP
Amiga-L@uregina1.bitnet List moderator.

Heisenberg might have been here...

davidc@pyr.gatech.EDU (David Carter) (10/20/89)

Jonathan Crone writes:
>.... in other words, nothing like the
>professionally targeted ads that Apple is doing  or the admittedly
>goofy "PS/2 it..." business ads that IBM is doing....

Again, from the information I picked up at a meeting held by Commodore here
in Atlanta, making the ads look completely unlike any of the ads by Apple,
IBM, or anyone else was one of their goals.  The other companies' ads, both
on TV and in print had started looking very similar, to the point where
people would see just a few seconds/lines of any ad and say "that's another
Apple ad".  Commodore wanted something where people would instantly recognize
theirs as being Amiga ads.  They may not show off the capabilities of the
machine as well as you might like (though there =are= somewhat subtle dialog
and visual references to its multitasking ability), the ads have definitely
satisfied Commodore's goal to look different.  And they're still fun --
they got a laugh from most of us at the meeting.

David Carter		davidc&pyr.gatech.edu

paulz@hpspdra.HP.COM (Paul Zander) (10/24/89)

The most important part of advertizing is to get the viewer's attention.
The new commodore add campaign certainly does that.  It would be nice if the
follow on adds will have some substance.  What does Tip O'Neal do with an
Amiga anyway?

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (10/27/89)

In Message <13570005@hpspdra.HP.COM>, paulz@hpspdra.HP.COM (Paul Zander) writes:

>The most important part of advertizing is to get the viewer's attention.

 Well all the famous faces, loud music and graphics do a good job of that.

>The new commodore add campaign certainly does that.  It would be nice if the
>follow on adds will have some substance.  What does Tip O'Neal do with an
>Amiga anyway?

 Keep he keeps his fried chicken recipies on it along with the phone numbers
 of the Pointer Sisters ;-)

 (Just kidding :-)

 Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////           BERKS AMIGA BBS