[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga commercials reviewed but not shown in Sacramento

hrlaser@sactoh0.UUCP (Harv R. Laser) (10/24/89)

"Famous faces in  odd places - Astronauts, musicians make
Commodore ads shine"

By Bob Garfield
The Sacramento Bee, Monday, Oct. 23, 1989

What are your favorite celebrities up to?  Enquiring minds want
to know!  Well, Elliott Gould has done a horrifying Jenny Craig
weight loss commercial, heaven help him.  Kay Ballard has drilled
600 beet below rock bottom in a pitiful spot for Francesco
Rinaldi spaghetti sauce.  And they say John Madden has just
signed as official spokesman for the Belgrade People's Tire Belt
Factor 4, bringing his endorsement deals to a round 1,000.

No siree, it just doesn't seem like a commercial these days
unless there's somebody famous in it, or marginally famous, or
formerly famous.  If Gertrude Ederle were a little healthier,
she'd probably be the Jiffilube Girl.

Selling Cranberry Juice Cocktail?  By all means sign Bobby
McFerrin, whose fruit-beverage relevance is manifest.  Peddling
stocks and bonds?  Get Henry Kissinger to croak about "trading
blocs," whatever they are.

Above all, do not do a Fruit'n'Fibre spot without nabbing Tim
Conway and Harvey Korman.  These guys' careers are hot, torrid,
on fire!  Have you seen "Nutt House"?  Very, verrry, funny.

I believe you get the point.  Using celebrities is fine, unless
they're used gratuitously and haphazardly - which is to say,
most of the time.

So you'll probably also appreciate an instance when, in a
universe of Celebrity for the Hell of it, a procession of
otherwise unrelated famous faces is used to the utmost advantage.

The lead commercial in the new Commodore Amiga campaign trots out
astronauts Buzz Aldrin, Gordon Cooper and Scott Carpenter,
Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda; the Pointer Sisters; composer But
Bachrach; Little richard and former Speaker of the House Tip
O'Neill.  All under one roof. A middle-class, suburban roof, no
less.

What brings them to this typical, white-bread home is Stevie, a
15 year-old kid who owns an Amiga computer.  In the hilarious 60-
second version of the spot, the astronauts arrive at the front
door to "compare notes with Stevie on the new space station."
Stevie's mom is nonplussed, but upstairs the kid is working on a
real-time-animation, full color schematic of the space station -
on his Amiga.

When Lasorda calls, "Just a question about moving (Willie)
Randolph to the number two position."  With a few keystrokes,
Stevie calls up a ball diamond graphic, superimposed on which are
Randolph's photo and stats.  "This'll work," Stevie says.

The Pointer Sisters are next, for help on their new album.  Then
Bachrach and Little Richard, as Stevie calls up a keyboard
graphic from the musical-composition software package.
Downstairs, meantime, Mom and Dad can scarcely believe what's
happening.  Dad doesn't mug or scowl or bristle.  HIs
bewilderment is expressed with an incredulous blink.

Then comes Henry Morgan's dry voiceover: "The Amiga.  Color,
sound, graphics, power. At a price to make it truly a thing of
beauty for the creative mind."

By this time, Tip O'Neill is at the door, and Mom is barely
surprised.  She just offers him some of her husband's fried
chicken and sends him upstairs.  The next shot, O'Neill
blundering into the commotion of Stevie's room, awkwardly
wielding a drumstick, is a genuine classic.

The entire spot - from Messner Vetere Berger Caery Schmetterer,
New York - is wonderful.  Tom Messner's copy is spare, yet witty.
When Mom first opens the door and says, "Aren't you astronauts?"
there's no punchline, per se, but the line is still funny.  All
Bachrach and Little Richard say is "Burg Bachrach" and "Little
Richard" and THAT's funny.

Art director Berry Vetere has got the settings to a T, and
director Matthew Robbins' packing is perfection itself.
Moreover, he has gotten flawlessly understated performances from
everybody.  Dad says not one word, but speaks volumes doing it.

More importantly, the commercial speaks volumes about a
remarkably versatile computer.  If Commodore is ever again to
turn a profit in this country, it must somehow magically create
an image for - and convey the hitherto unconveyed advantages of -
 a product that does much of what the Apple Macintosh does at a
much lower price.

The parade of personalities makes just that point.  No willy-
nilly, "Who's" eclecticism here.  A home computer that does
professional-quality work for all these varied disciplines is
truly a cause to celebritize.

Rating: * * * (three stars = notable)

Bob Garfield is a columnist for Advertising Age magazine.

(end of typed-in article)
----
My comments:
1) "...does much of what the Macintosh does.." !?!?!?!?
Coff.. sputter.. gag... puke... You were doin' great, Bob,
till you got to that line.

2) Curiously enough, although this article appeared in the
largest-circulation daily newspaper in the State Capital
of California, which has no fewer than four Amiga dealers
within a 20 mile radius, the Amiga teevee ads are NOT running
on any Sacramento stations!  At least if they are, THIS
teevee watcher has yet to see one! :-(

--
| Harv Laser                  |  SAC-UNIX, Sacramento, Ca.  |
| People/Link: CBM*HARV       |  UUCP=...pacbell!sactoh0    |

langz@asylum.SF.CA.US (Lang Zerner) (10/27/89)

In article <1976@sactoh0.UUCP> hrlaser@sactoh0.UUCP (Harv R. Laser) writes:
>...has no fewer than four Amiga dealers
>within a 20 mile radius, [but] the Amiga teevee ads are NOT running...
>At least if they are, THIS teevee watcher has yet to see one! :-(

Harvey--

Commodore has sent advertising schedules to dealers in the vicinity of their
advert markets.  In Boston, a member of the MIT Amiga User's group got a copy
of the metro Boston schedule from a local dealer, along with permission to post
it.  It looks like C-A is doing a good job with scheduling -- many (most?)
slots are in high-audience shows like Oprah and the Cosby Show.

If you are friendly with any of local dealers, why not stop by and see if they
know what's going on with advertising in your area.  Commodore seems to be
working with dealers, and if you ask nicely you may be able to get a copy of
your area schedule (if there is one yet ;-).
--
Be seeing you...
--Lang Zerner