[comp.sys.amiga] Xeno - Another bad virus?

ahonen@utacs.UTA.FI (Anssi Ahonen) (10/24/89)

  Does anyone have information about virus called 'xeno'? This little beast
is living on my hard disk (30 meg Supra, A500) and after many
unsuccesful tries I still haven't find it. It first showed up a few days
ago when I opened the shell and tried to get directory with 'ls'-command.
The shell just gave me 'unknown command ls', and after that I noticed that
also 'CD'-command didn't work. Strangely, the programs were still in c-dir,
just as usual. I loaded my favourite debugger and examined the broken
cli-commands. Both programs were modified so that they only used DOS.Write
to print out 'unknown command'. The weirdest thing was yet to come! I found
a strange file named '!' in devs-directory. This file was an IFF-picture,
black border, white topaz font text : "You will never catch me, the allmighty Xeno"

So, this is probably the first virus to write iff-files on your hard disk?

I have now examined most of the programs on my hard disk with debugger,
searching for 'virus-signs', extra code hunks, xor-loops etc, but no luck.

The only facts I know are: Xeno is not a bootblock virus.
                           It doesn't change reset-vectors.
                           I am pretty sure it is some kind of link virus (like IRQ), but
                           much harder to beat.

martens@shawnee.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (10/25/89)

In article <765@utacs.UTA.FI> ahonen@utacs.uta.fi (Anssi Ahonen) writes:

>  Does anyone have information about virus called 'xeno'? This little beast

As bad as Xeno is, there's another virus that'll make editing on your
Amiga nearly impossible.  It's called Stevie, and it's a variant of
the nefarious vi that used to plague Unix systems.
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

Now, was that Woody Allen Drive or Woody Hayes Drive?  I can never
keep those two straight.

grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (10/27/89)

In article <71785@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>As bad as Xeno is, there's another virus that'll make editing on your
>Amiga nearly impossible.  It's called Stevie, and it's a variant of
>the nefarious vi that used to plague Unix systems.

I don't see any smileys. There are enough viruses out there without people
like you trying to start a virus scare. If you don't like an editor, either
don't use it, or improve it.

	fred