[comp.sys.amiga] Workbench Discard bug

hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) (10/10/89)

I have seen a couple of notes about a bug in Workbench 1.3 that can cause a
whole drawer of files to apparently vanish (usually into another drawer that's
represented by a nearby drawer icon) as a result of merely selecting the icon!
I have also seen notes indicating that the "Empty" drawer cannot at times be
copied (this may result in a circularly nested directory structure in which
none of the files can be accessed).  There is even a variation of the WB bug
that occurs in generic hard disk directories (I don't know if this is for OFS
or FFS) that can result in the files not appearing in a directory list, but
nonetheless remaining within possibility of access from the CLI provided the
file names are known.

However, a week ago while working with a bunch of files in my ProjectMaster
drawer on my hard disk, I did a shift click on three Icons, selected the
Workbench "Discard" menu item, and of course got the "Ok to Discard?"
requester.  When I approved the discard of the three selected Icons and
their associated files, the workbench deleted _ALL_ of the Icons and the
related files in this entire directory (residing on my hard disk in an
OFS partition).  Gee, was I ever surprised!  Gee, was I ever p*'d.  Is this
a bug in WB 1.3?  Are any of these bugs _FIXED_ in WB 1.3.2?
						Howard Hull
						hull@hao.ucar.edu

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (10/10/89)

In article <4657@ncar.ucar.edu> hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) writes:
>However, a week ago while working with a bunch of files in my ProjectMaster
>drawer on my hard disk, I did a shift click on three Icons, selected the
>Workbench "Discard" menu item, and of course got the "Ok to Discard?"
>requester.  When I approved the discard of the three selected Icons and
>their associated files, the workbench deleted _ALL_ of the Icons and the
>related files in this entire directory (residing on my hard disk in an
>OFS partition).  Gee, was I ever surprised!  Gee, was I ever p*'d.  Is this
>a bug in WB 1.3?  Are any of these bugs _FIXED_ in WB 1.3.2?

I've had this happen too.  I realized (after the fact) that the basic problem
is that when you open a drawer, IT STAYS SELECTED!!!!!  If you then
shift-click to select more icons, THAT DRAWER IS STILL SELECTED!!!!  If you discard,
THE DRAWER IS STILL SELECTED!!!!!!!!!!!   (get my drift? :-)

I recommend that everyone get in the habit of clicking somewhere to deselect
everything before selecting stuff to discard. Once I started doing this,
I never encountered this "bug" again.  Good luck.  Happy hacking. -- Darren

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (10/10/89)

In article <4657@ncar.ucar.edu> hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) writes:

   However, a week ago while working with a bunch of files in my ProjectMaster
   drawer on my hard disk, I did a shift click on three Icons, selected the
   Workbench "Discard" menu item, and of course got the "Ok to Discard?"
   requester.  When I approved the discard of the three selected Icons and
   their associated files, the workbench deleted _ALL_ of the Icons and the
   related files in this entire directory (residing on my hard disk in an
   OFS partition).  Gee, was I ever surprised!  Gee, was I ever p*'d.  Is this
   a bug in WB 1.3?  Are any of these bugs _FIXED_ in WB 1.3.2?
						   Howard Hull
						   hull@hao.ucar.edu

Workbench is unchanged in 1.3.2.

What probably happened to you is this:

	* you double-clicked on the icon for the ProjectMaster drawer.
	  The ProjectMaster icon was selected, and its window appeared
	  on the screen.

	* you shift-clicked on the three icons in the drawer.  This
	  selected them IN ADDITION to the ProjectMaster Icon.

	* When you selected "Discard", it threw away everything
	  including the ProjectMaster drawer.

This is not a bug, but a "feature" of the Workbench.  The solution is
to de-select all icons before shift-clicking a new set of selections.
The easiest way to do this is to single-click on the first selection
and shift-click on the rest.

				--M

--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (10/10/89)

In article <4657@ncar.ucar.edu>, hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) writes:
> However, a week ago while working with a bunch of files in my ProjectMaster
> drawer on my hard disk, I did a shift click on three Icons, selected the
> Workbench "Discard" menu item, and of course got the "Ok to Discard?"
> requester.  When I approved the discard of the three selected Icons and
> their associated files, the workbench deleted _ALL_ of the Icons and the
> related files in this entire directory (residing on my hard disk in an
> OFS partition).  Gee, was I ever surprised!  Gee, was I ever p*'d.  Is this
> a bug in WB 1.3?  Are any of these bugs _FIXED_ in WB 1.3.2?
> 						Howard Hull
> 						hull@hao.ucar.edu

This is not a bug; it did just what you asked.  When you double-click
a drawer icon, the window for that drawer opens, but the icon remains
selected.  You may not be aware of it though because often the new
window obscures its icon.  If you then Shift-select more icons and
choose Discard from the menu, all your selected items will be
discarded.
  Because this does present such a risk, I think WB1.4 should have
drawer icons unselect themselves when they are opened.  Until this,
if you are about to shift-select several icons, first click on a
workbench window's background to make sure nothing is already
selected.
_____
  |      Todd M. Lewis            Disclaimer: If you want my employer's
  ||\/|  utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu             ideas, you'll have to
  ||  || utoddl@ecsvax.bitnet                 _buy_ them.
   |  ||
       |___   ("Prgrms wtht cmmnts r lk sntncs wtht vwls." --TML)

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (10/10/89)

In article <4657@ncar.ucar.edu> hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) writes:

>However, a week ago while working with a bunch of files in my ProjectMaster
>drawer on my hard disk, I did a shift click on three Icons, selected the
>Workbench "Discard" menu item, and of course got the "Ok to Discard?"
>requester.  When I approved the discard of the three selected Icons and
>their associated files, the workbench deleted _ALL_ of the Icons and the
>related files in this entire directory (residing on my hard disk in an
>OFS partition).  Gee, was I ever surprised!  Gee, was I ever p*'d.  Is this
>a bug in WB 1.3?  Are any of these bugs _FIXED_ in WB 1.3.2?
>						Howard Hull
>						hull@hao.ucar.edu

	No, this is not a bug BUT some may view it as such.  Here is what
happened.  The drawer icon for the window in which you were working in
must have been selected before you started shift-clicking on the icons
(that you wanted to discard) in the window.  When you were done, you had
the drawer icon selected (unknown to you) and some icons in that drawer.
Workbench thought that you wanted to delete the entire drawer (since you
had the drawer selected) and proceeded to do so for you.  Sorry.

	No, this is not fixed in 1.3.2.

	For V1.4 workbench will tell you how many icons you have selected
for deletion.  So if you shift-select two icons, choose discard and see
that workbench is telling you that its about to delete three icons, you'll
know something is wrong.

	Yes, I know that there are more sophisticated things wb could do
like search the entire deletion list and report duplicates.  In the above
case it could say something like 'You have just asked to delete the entire
contents of drawer blah blah and some of the icons in it as well.  This
request is redundant!  Are you sure you want me to do this?'.  As
time/resources permit we will continue to enhance the system software.

	daveb

ewout@cbmvax.UUCP (Ewout Walraven - CATS) (10/10/89)

In article <4657@ncar.ucar.edu> hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) writes:
[...]
>However, a week ago while working with a bunch of files in my ProjectMaster
>drawer on my hard disk, I did a shift click on three Icons, selected the
>Workbench "Discard" menu item, and of course got the "Ok to Discard?"
>requester.  When I approved the discard of the three selected Icons and
>their associated files, the workbench deleted _ALL_ of the Icons and the
>related files in this entire directory (residing on my hard disk in an
>OFS partition).  Gee, was I ever surprised!  Gee, was I ever p*'d.  Is this
>a bug in WB 1.3?  Are any of these bugs _FIXED_ in WB 1.3.2?
>						Howard Hull
>						hull@hao.ucar.edu

First thing which comes to mind: Might you've selected the three icons with
the shift key down, while your Drawer icon was still selected? I.e. you
just opened the drawer (hence it's selected), pressed shift and started
selecting more icons? In that case what hapened was supposed to happen.

EC

--
Ewout Walraven - CATS			Commodore Business Machines, Inc.
PHONE: 215-431-9426			UUCP: {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!ewout

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (10/11/89)

In episode <1989Oct10.131752.19374@uncecs.edu>,
we heard utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) say:
|...  When you double-click
|a drawer icon, the window for that drawer opens, but the icon remains
|selected...  If you then Shift-select more icons and
|choose Discard from the menu, all your selected items will be
|discarded.
|  Because this does present such a risk, I think WB1.4 should have
|drawer icons unselect themselves when they are opened.  Until this,
|if you are about to shift-select several icons, first click on a
|workbench window's background to make sure nothing is already
|selected.

I'm not sure this is the solution either; Cleanup and Snapshot both
require clicking on the drawer or disk icon; it's nice to open a window
& immediately be able to clean it up (an option you'll be doing about
as often as deleting).

THE ANSWER is, of course, that every time you start shift-clicking
things, make the first one a regular click.  This will deselect anything
which happened to have been "left over" selected.

Kenneth Herron

) Seaman) (10/12/89)

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) writes:
< hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) writes:
< < [ Description of perils of discarding shift-selected files ]
<
< This is not a bug; it did just what you asked...
<
< ...if you are about to shift-select several icons, first click on a
< workbench window's background to make sure nothing is already
< selected.
<          Todd M. Lewis

I've seen this answer in several responses, but I am confused.  If you
want to shift-select a group of icons, you don't need the shift key
depressed for the first selection; only the second and subsequent
selections require it.  By NOT depressing the shift key when you make
your first selection, any other selected drawer and/or file icons will be
de-selected automagically :-).

It would seem to me that never shift-selecting a first selection would
be a good habit to develop.

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |    ___-/^\-___          qatul batlh.
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           |  //__--\O/--__\\        qatul Huch.

jb@cbmtor.UUCP (Jim Butterfield ) (10/16/89)

   Possible fixes for this "finger problem" might be implemented
in a couple of ways on some future system release:
   1. Attempting to multiple-select an icon cancels any selection
previously made on icons of a different class;
   In this case, multiply-selecting TOOL icons would automatically
drop selection of the drawer; similarly, multiple selection of
PROJECTS would drop any previously selected tools...
   Possible problem: drawers-within-drawers situation where the
user could STILL inadvertently leave the "parent" drawer selected as
inner drawers were picked out.
           -- OR -- (probably a better idea)
   2. Everything multiply-selected must be within one drawer or disk.
Tagging something within a new drawer-type structure would drop
previous selections made outside that structure.  (Does anyone
really multiply select icons scattered across many drawers/disks?)

--jim b

:  My boss doesn't understand me...  :  Jim Butterfield, Toronto  :
:   .. and I'm my own boss!          :    jb@cbmtor               :

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (10/16/89)

In article <138@cbmtor.UUCP> jb@cbmtor.UUCP (Jim Butterfield ) writes:
>   1. Attempting to multiple-select an icon cancels any selection
>previously made on icons of a different class;

EEEK!   No!   Then you would not be able to start up a project with
other than the default tool.  You also would not be able to start
a tool passing it a drawer as an argument.

>           -- OR -- (probably a better idea)
>   2. Everything multiply-selected must be within one drawer or disk.

Just as bad.  This is the Mac's solution to not thinking about
directories when they first did the filesystem. Hence, all
selected files must be in the same directory so the system
can create a fake directory ID and pretend they are all on the
same disk.  Ugly and confusing.   I like best the idea of
modifyiong just the DISCARD option and not the entire selection
process, if anything must be changed at all. Fixing diskcard "bugs"
by changing the selection mechanism seems just the wrong way to do
it.		-- Darren

consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Optimist Prime) (10/17/89)

In article <138@cbmtor.UUCP> jb@cbmtor.UUCP (Jim Butterfield ) writes:
> [...]
>   2. Everything multiply-selected must be within one drawer or disk.
>Tagging something within a new drawer-type structure would drop
>previous selections made outside that structure.  (Does anyone
>really multiply select icons scattered across many drawers/disks?)

This is a much better idea than the first one - I routinely delete
both programs and their data files in one Discard; the first option
would put an end to this.

+-------///---------------------------------------------------------\\\-------+
|      ///                       Brett Kessler                       \\\      |
|     ///                        =============                        \\\     |
| \\\///         E-Mail to: consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu         \\\/// |
|  \XX/                 and to: consp11@bingvaxa.BITNET                 \XX/  |

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (10/17/89)

In article <138@cbmtor.UUCP> jb@cbmtor.UUCP (Jim Butterfield ) writes:
>   2. Everything multiply-selected must be within one drawer or disk.
>Tagging something within a new drawer-type structure would drop
>previous selections made outside that structure.  (Does anyone
>really multiply select icons scattered across many drawers/disks?)
     Hi! I do, routinely. Whenever I'm cleaning up my DL floppies, for
example, or whenever I'm moving lots and lots of files around. Really handy
option to have. Please don't get rid of it!
     (Then again, I'm also the guy who hates click-to-front...)
                                                  - R'ykandar.

--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | PLink: Skywise | QLink: Bearclaw |

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (10/17/89)

I like it the way it is now.  I can avoid problems by making the first
selection with the Shift key up.  I just want to see Discard fixed so it
doesn't return errors when I try to delete a drawer that has files in it.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) (10/20/89)

In article <138@cbmtor.UUCP> jb@cbmtor.UUCP (Jim Butterfield ) writes:
>   2. Everything multiply-selected must be within one drawer or disk.

How about a simple modification of this:  shift-clicking something in a
drawer while while the drawer is selected has the effect of de-selecting
the drawer.  It's a hack, no doubt about it, but it would serve to
lessen the danger of deleting or moving a whole drawer when you just
meant to delete or move a few files.  This has gotten me, too.  I can't
right now see why you'd want to select a drawer and some of its contents
at the same time, anyway.

>(Does anyone
>really multiply select icons scattered across many drawers/disks?)

Occasionally.

--
-Peter Schachte
pds@quintus.uucp

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (10/27/89)

In article <1274@quintus.UUCP> pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) writes:
> I can't right now see why you'd want to select a drawer and some of its
> contents at the same time, anyway.
Sorry, I do this all the time.  I almost always rearrange the icons on a disk
I receive so that they will all fit aesthetically within the drawer window.
Then I snapshot both the indivual icons and the drawer window.  I do this by
extended-selecting everything and pulling down "snapshot".

BTW this reminds me of "yet another request for 1.4"... A "snapshot entire
drawer" or even "snapshot everything" pulldown would be very nice.  So would
a setting, "snapshot everything I move".  The latter would be maddening on
floppies, though.

Bela Lubkin    * *    //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us  CompuServe: 73047,1112
     @       * *     //   ....ucbvax!ucscc!gorn!filbo  ^^^-VERY slow [months]
R Pentomino    *   \X/    Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +408-476-4633 & XBBS +408-476-4945