[comp.sys.amiga] Argh! bandwidth excess!

antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) (10/25/89)

Hi!  Just a general request here-- could people that send huge binaries
and sources and stuff PLEASE send a warning message!
I tend to connect to an account via modem, and since the machine I use
is sort of a bare-minimum type (a Sun with no 'man'!) when a long message
comes I just have to wait the five minutes for it to scroll by.  For some
reason the machine won't interrupt until the end of a message, else it
disconnects me.
  So please, as long as you are using up a lot of space, please waste a
seperate message warning us that the next message titled "source" is the
actual source and is pretty $^%&*-ing long.
               Thanks!
------------
Alex Antunes   "the Waupelani Kid" 'cause that's where I live...
antunes@astro.psu.edu                 Penn State Astronomy Dept.
-------  "c'est la vie, c'est la guerre, c'est la pomme de terre"  -------

martens@ketch.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (10/25/89)

In article <8910241832.AA19441@astro.psu.edu> antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) writes:

	[ stuff deleted ]

>I tend to connect to an account via modem, and since the machine I use
>is sort of a bare-minimum type (a Sun with no 'man'!) when a long message
>comes I just have to wait the five minutes for it to scroll by.  For some
>reason the machine won't interrupt until the end of a message, else it
>disconnects me.

Either I'm confused, or you meant 'more', not 'man'.  But I can't
imagine a Unix w/o more or page (not Bob, necessarily) or somesuch, so
couldn't either you or your system manager change your newsreader to
pipe through more?

I do understand your frustration, but since you have an extremely
unusual situation on your end, I don't think many people are going to
be too concerned about it on their ends.  I don't post big stuff
myself, but if I did, if I ever forgot to put 'long' in the subject, I
couldn't feel too guilty.  Plus, how about all the short followups
that people haven't removed the 'long' from?
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

Lie of the week:
	"I never meant to hurt anyone or defraud anyone"  -- Jim Bakker

antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) (10/26/89)

Hi!  A quick clarification-- I really did mean the Unix here doesn't
have 'man'... i.e. it has no help files to tell me how to avoid problems
like long mail and odd disconnects.  It's short in other areas too.
Having 'more' is irrelevant, because I get over 100 pieces of mail a
day, with maybe 1/4 of that vague enough subject-wise that I give it a
quick read.  Saving each and every piece so that I can 'more' it would be
a drag, and i can't set my mail to 'more' letters because there is no
documentation!  (You try learning unix when you only have the "sun beginner's
guide"!)
  So binaries are a hassle.. I thought that was what comp-binaries was for.
------------

baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) (10/28/89)

In article <8910251834.AA21154@astro.psu.edu> antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) writes:
>Hi!  A quick clarification-- I really did mean the Unix here doesn't
>have 'man'... i.e. it has no help files to tell me how to avoid problems
>like long mail and odd disconnects.  It's short in other areas too.
>Having 'more' is irrelevant, because I get over 100 pieces of mail a
>day, with maybe 1/4 of that vague enough subject-wise that I give it a
>quick read.  Saving each and every piece so that I can 'more' it would be
>a drag, and i can't set my mail to 'more' letters because there is no
>documentation!  (You try learning unix when you only have the "sun beginner's
>guide"!)
>  So binaries are a hassle.. I thought that was what comp-binaries was for.

If you are using readnews or rn, you can get help by typing "?" and it will
display all you options. Some shortcuts I use to help with some of the
overwhelming bandwith, is using "=" which will display just the titles
of each article. I then quickly go through and write down the numbers of the
articles that look interesting and just look at those. Also, if you use the
"j" command (for junk) while reading an article, it will abort the reading
of the article and mark it as read. Handy for bypassing large articles.
Hopes this helps. :-).

 Ron Baalke                       |    (818) 541-2341 x260
 Jet Propulsion Lab  M/S 301-355  |    baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov
 4800 Oak Grove Dr.               |
 Pasadena, CA 91109               |

hasker@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/28/89)

Maybe your mailer is different, but you can get the standard BSD mail utility
(/usr/ucb/mail) to scroll its output by putting
	set crt=23
in your .mailrc file.  I believe you also have to setenv PAGER to more.

Rob Hasker
hasker@cs.uiuc.edu, hasker%cs.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd,
{uunet|convex|pur-ee}!uiucdcs!hasker
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Dept. of Comp. Sci.