[comp.sys.amiga] How about some real trivia?

pete@i-core.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) (10/27/89)

some harder questions to answer.

1. Who played sax along with the Amiga at its Carnegie Hall debut?

2. Who was the original artist hired by Amiga?  What other project did he
collaborate with a famous Amiga programmer on previously?

3. What was the first game published on the Amiga and what popular IBM game did
that programmer also do?  What Amiga games has he done since?

4. What magazine announced that a new game machine from the company that makes
the powerstick was due in a month?  What year was this (hint, long before '85)?

5. What company took out a full page ad in the first Amiga World for their
product, then halted it when another company was blessed by Commodore with a
similar project?

6. What was unusual about the game Monkey Business (besides the fact that it
sucked), this is the 1.0 version?

7. What was the first magazine to put the Amiga on its cover?  What was on the
screen of that Amiga?

8. What was the first digitization in the Electronic Art's Rolling Demo?

9. What prominent Mac company was thrilled to death over the Amiga at its
introduction, but never produced anything for it?

10. What type of BASIC was the Amiga ORIGINALLY supposed to have (easy one ;-)?

Pete, a 1000 owner.  I'm not part of Commodore.  I've just followed the Amiga
since day one.  Anyone remember the Creative Computing article that previewed
the Lorraine? :-)

cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Christopher Douty) (10/28/89)

In article <1989Oct26.213523.919@i-core.UUCP> pete@i-core.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) writes:

>Pete, a 1000 owner.
>  Anyone remember the Creative Computing article that previewed
>the Lorraine? :-)

Actually, I do vaguely remember reading about the Lorraine in Creative
Computing (or some such similar mag.  It was a friend's copy.)  I remember
thinking "no way could anyone make a computer so rad that cheap."  Then
about a year later when I was looking for something to replace my TRS-80
Model III (This was in '86, and yes, I still have it.) I remembered the
article, so I picked up a used 1000 for $1800 and hey, I love it.  Of
course, I _did_ upgrade to a 2500.  Floppy-only systems are such a pain.

Just a random reminicance from

				Christopher Douty
			 cdouty@jarthur.claremont.edu

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  use STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  "Gun control is being
with SILLY_QUOTE; use SILLY_QUOTE;                   able to hit your target"

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (10/28/89)

In article <1989Oct26.213523.919@i-core.UUCP> Pete Ashdown writes:
>5. What company took out a full page ad in the first Amiga World for their
>product, then halted it when another company was blessed by Commodore with a
>similar project?

Perhaps you're referring to Borland and Turbo Pascal?  If so, you've got the
questions a bit wrong.  Turbo Pascal was advertised in the first TWO issues
of AmigaWorld, stating "Shipping first quarter '86!"  While part of the
reason TP never came out was that Commodore asked MetaComCo to do a Pascal,
that wasn't the main reason.  Philippe was pissed off at Commodore because
he'd been told the machine would initially be shipped at a MUCH lower price
than it actually came out at.  Since Borland was in the business of selling
the best product at the lowest price, he strongly felt that would be the
right approach for a great new machine as well.  When it turned out that the
A1000 cost over $2000 for a decent configuration, he gave up on the machine.
He felt the Atari ST was far better priced, if a poorer machine.

Regardless of his early thoughts, I think the Amiga is now ripe as a market
for Borland (or any other company).  If you're still waiting for Turbo
Pascal to ship in "First quarter '86", you might want to send mail to
Philippe stating your interest.  He can be reached via MCIMail; the
corresponding Internet address is PhilippeKahn@mcimail.com.  One of these
years Borland IS going to realize that the market is there; and realize that
by advertising a product with a ship date they were making a commitment.

Bela Lubkin    * *    //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us  CompuServe: 73047,1112
     @       * *     //   ....ucbvax!ucscc!gorn!filbo  ^^^-VERY slow [months]
R Pentomino    *   \X/    Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +408-476-4633 & XBBS +408-476-4945