[comp.sys.amiga] Gadgets and 1.4..

CSD29_R3%UNO.BITNET@vm.tcs.tulane.edu (10/23/89)

  I keep seeing all of these posts about a revamped sizing gadget for WB1.4.
Something to the effect that most of you don't like the fact that the sizing
gadgets will be next to each other in a window.  Well here's what I suggest.
  A WINDOW EDITOR.  Yes folks, a WINDOW EDITOR.  Within this editor, we would
be able to do stuff like edit the placement of gadgets, determine the look of
the said gadgets, etc., etc.   This would kill the need to run seperate programs
, such as Newlook or 3D gadgets, to get a WorkBench that looks good.  So, how
about it people?  Can we do it?  Wouldn't that be a better alternative to
making everyone use a standard window configuration.  The WINDOW EDITOR would
be part of Preferences, of course.

  -Dave @ University of New Orleans.
  CSD29_R3@UNO.BITNET

drz@csri.toronto.edu (Jerry Zarycky) (10/23/89)

In article <2260@nigel.udel.EDU> CSD29_R3%UNO.BITNET@vm.tcs.tulane.edu writes:

>  I keep seeing all of these posts about a revamped sizing gadget for WB1.4.
>Something to the effect that most of you don't like the fact that the sizing
>gadgets will be next to each other in a window.  Well here's what I suggest.
>  A WINDOW EDITOR.  Yes folks, a WINDOW EDITOR.  Within this editor, we would
>be able to do stuff like edit the placement of gadgets, determine the look of
>the said gadgets, etc., etc.   This would kill the need to run seperate programs
>, such as Newlook or 3D gadgets, to get a WorkBench that looks good.  So, how
>about it people?  Can we do it?  Wouldn't that be a better alternative to
>making everyone use a standard window configuration.  The WINDOW EDITOR would
>be part of Preferences, of course.
>
>  -Dave @ University of New Orleans.
>  CSD29_R3@UNO.BITNET

With all due respect, I think that this would be a terrible idea.
As a computer programmer, I think it is quite doable and neat and fun and
......; well, you get the idea.

However, we, in the Amiga community have been torn between two opposing ends:
	1) To have the neatest, most powerful and configurable computer out
	   there
	2) To make sure that everyone else in the world knew about part 1),
	   by buying an Amiga and using all the neat software available for it

    Notice that the developers have been exploring part 1) and have rewarded
us with all kinds of neat file requesters, which we eventually learn how to
use (after a while).  But one of the biggest complaints heard from novice
users regards the non-intuitive (and different!) user interfaces which each
different Amiga program presents.  The new CEO of Commodore, Harry Copperman,
has mandated that there be a standard file requester (and other parts of the
user interface) available for all developers to use, in order to present
a consistent user interface, as the Macintosh has managed.
    Now, I am not try to force an unfit user interface upon the general
Amiga community, but I am arguing that after all the discussion is over,
we should be able to get 90% agreement on one scheme, and the software
engineers at Commodore will probably be the ones to make the final decision.
After all, if the Mac users can get by in their user interface with only
one button on their mouse, we can't possibly do any worse.
    So, in general, I am advocating getting all your opinions in NOW,
while the design process is still happening.  After Commodore has finalized
the design, we should then proceed to more important things, like writing
GREAT software with the user interface we have.

Jerry Zarycky

Usenet:	{uunet,watmath}!csri.toronto.edu!drz
CSNET:	drz@csri.toronto.edu         EAN:   drz@csri.toronto.cdn
BITNET:	drz@csri.utoronto

t-wader@microsoft.UUCP (Wade Richards) (10/29/89)

In article <1989Oct22.210850.6138@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> drz@csri.toronto.edu (Jerry Zarycky) writes:
=}In article <2260@nigel.udel.EDU> CSD29_R3%UNO.BITNET@vm.tcs.tulane.edu writes:
=}>
=}>  I keep seeing all of these posts about a revamped sizing gadget for WB1.4.
=}>Something to the effect that most of you don't like the fact that the sizing
=}>gadgets will be next to each other in a window.  Well here's what I suggest.
=}>  A WINDOW EDITOR.  Yes folks, a WINDOW EDITOR.  Within this editor, we would
=}
=}With all due respect, I think that this would be a terrible idea.
=}[...]
=}However, we, in the Amiga community have been torn between two opposing ends:
=}	1) To have the neatest, most powerful and configurable computer out
=}	   there
=}	2) To make sure that everyone else in the world knew about part 1),
=}	   by buying an Amiga and using all the neat software available for it
=}
=}[...]
=}                                   The new CEO of Commodore, Harry Copperman,
=}has mandated that there be a standard file requester (and other parts of the
=}user interface) available for all developers to use, in order to present
=}a consistent user interface, as the Macintosh has managed.
=}[...]
=}    So, in general, I am advocating getting all your opinions in NOW,
=}[...]

OK, my opinion:

Well, this is someone else's opinion, I just borrowed it (read in TransAmiga
a while back.  Can't give credit 'cause I can't remember who wrote it.)

A consistant user interface is important, for both users and developers.  For
users, it has to be friendlly, and they have to like it.  For developers, it
has to be powerful and complete.

The suggestion is to define a user interface standard, not a standard user
interface.  The actual interface would be in a library.  The programmer
simply opens "interface.library", and calls the file-requester that is in
there.  Commodore would, of course, provide a default "interface.library",
but when people don't like it, they can replace it with thier own.  This
lets us have a window editor, our own unique requestors, and anything else
we want, while still having a consistant interface.  (If all my programs
use "interface.library", and I change it, then the interface remains
consistent.)  The only problem is inconsistancies accross machines.

This also allows me to have requestors come up in French, Italian, or biniary
if I like, and neither Commodore or the application writers have to make any
attempt to support this.

	--- Wade