[comp.sys.amiga] Need good C reference....

consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Optimist Prime) (10/30/89)

I've just recently started programming the Amiga with C, using Lattice C 5.02.
The documentation with Lattice is incredible - I have no problem with it, at
ALL.  (Thank you Lattice for an excellent job!)  But now I need a reference to
get me started poking around the innards of the Ami.  We're talking basic
stuff here (for now) - like opening windows and screens, using gadgets and
the mouse, etc.

I already have one book, "Inside the Amiga with C," but it's not one all that
good, I'm afraid.  Can anybody recommend some other titles?  Even if they're
obscure - I've got friends around who can help me locate 'em.

Thanks a lot.  Reply VIA Email, please!

+-------///---------------------------------------------------------\\\-------+
|      ///                       BRETT KESSLER                       \\\      |
|     ///        E-Mail to: consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu        \\\     |
| \\\///                and to: consp11@bingvaxa.BITNET                \\\/// |
|  \XX/                   or on PeopleLink: B.KESSLER                   \XX/  |

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) (10/30/89)

In article <2595@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Optimist Prime) writes:
>I already have one book, "Inside the Amiga with C," but it's not one all that
>good, I'm afraid.  Can anybody recommend some other titles?  Even if they're
>obscure - I've got friends around who can help me locate 'em.

I subscribe to the view that "The Amiga computer cannot be programmed with
any competency without the RKMs (Rom Kernal Manuals)."  The older manuals,
"Intution", "Libraries & Devices", and "Exec" are all *VERY* useful to the
programmer (even today -- though they are being replaced with newer books).
Want to open a window?  A screen?  Read the first couple of chapters of the
Intuition book, and you'll be doing it.

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| Jeff Bevis 		         | "But I don't like spam!"		      |
| bevis@en.ecn.purdue.edu	 | 	     Give me Amiga or nothing at all. |
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

dooley@helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Kevin Dooley) (10/30/89)

In article <2595@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Optimist Prime) writes:
>I already have one book, "Inside the Amiga with C," but it's not one all that
>good, I'm afraid.  Can anybody recommend some other titles?  Even if they're
>obscure - I've got friends around who can help me locate 'em.

I started my Amiducation with this book and very quickly found its
shortcomings also.  While the Rom Kernel Manuals are really vital
to any large programming project, I found them a bit too overpowering
at first.  Eventually you will need them, but until then I recomend
Rob Peck's book "Programmer's Guide to the Amiga."  It will get you
started on some of the more subtle things that "Inside the Amiga"
misses (like now that I have a menu strip set up, how do I know which
item has been selected...you know, little stuff) without bogging down
in all of the detail that the RKM's throw at you.  I wish I had bought
Rob Peck's book first!  (Thanks for doing it right, Rob).
		Kevin

--
 Kevin Dooley         UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!dooley
 Physics Dept.        BITNET - dooley@utorphys