[comp.sys.amiga] dead df0: on my 2000 - help!

vic@wookie.wpd.sgi.com (Victor Mitnick) (10/31/89)

Yesterday, I was copying some files from my hard disk to floppy on my 2000,
and I got a read/write error on df0. This alone didn't bother me too much,
but I wasn't able to get the floppy drive to work at all after that.
I tried removing the floppy disk, turning the machine off, and turning it back
on again, but the then I have an icon that says: "DF0: BAD" -- the machine
seems to think that there's a disk in the floppy drive even when there isn't.
The drive doesn't click, either, like it normally does when it's empty.
Any df0: related commands I give say that there's a non-dos disk in df0:.

Can anyone help my with this? Maybe I just need to open the case up, and wiggle
connectors on the drive, but I thought I'd ask here first.

  Thanks,
	Vic Mitnick
	Silicon Graphics, Inc.
	vic@wookie.wpd.sgi.com

consp13@bingsune.cc.binghamton.edu (Marcus Cannava) (10/31/89)

In article <43736@sgi.sgi.com>, vic@wookie.wpd.sgi.com (Victor Mitnick) writes:

> ..I tried removing the floppy disk, turning the machine off, and
turning it back
> on again, but the then I have an icon that says: "DF0: BAD" -- the machine
> seems to think that there's a disk in the floppy drive even when there isn't.
> The drive doesn't click, either, like it normally does when it's empty.
> Any df0: related commands I give say that there's a non-dos disk in df0:.

  I had a similar problem with my Amiga 500, and it turned out to be a
bad PAULA chip (the chip that
controls the Disk I/O and various other tasks.

	That could be the problem.. It's a $69 chip (or should be). Ask your dealer.

			\marc